The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 121

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Nice playing.Great sound!
    Economical notes and the way of articulation remind me of Jim Hall.
    is it octaver efect?
    As I know J.Hall used sometimes octaver and chorus... and sometimes pitch shifter.
    Best
    kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Yes that second take is very different, sounds like a whole new song! Very nice job
    Thanks
    If I succeed, I will make a third take.
    I haven't had a pick in my hand for a long time/about 10 days/.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I like the blend of enclosures around the chord tones and blues-y licks you have here

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Sorry Dogletnoir, I tried using your backing track but your bass keeps leading to the Eb prematurely, I don’t know if it was intentional or not but it kept throwing me off. I found a really unique and cool backing track that I cut this one with.
    Yeah, another good one. I found that backing track a little overbearing and wasn't happy with what I did with it, so I scrapped it. But you seem to have found a way through it. It seems like your playing has gotten more focused on phrasing (as opposed to speed) over the course of the last several tunes, and I think it's a good direction.

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    Like this?

It's very cool that you tried to do the backing track (and play along with it), but the different parts all strike me as occupying different rhythmic spaces, which makes soloing a challenge. Next time, I'd suggest trying to stick with a walking bass part with less floatiness. I like your organ trio version much more. I thought it hung together well, and gave you a firmer foundation for soloing.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Going to throw one in...there was something in dogletnoir's backing that threw me off, probably my fault, not his...anyway, here's a "first take" (actually the second, first got interrupted...in my house, go figure)

I liked the Sco clip a little too much
    It was a dark and stormy night ... John Abercrombie and Mike Bloomfield found themselves sharing the last available room in the last hotel along the highway and waited out the storm together. Months later a child was born. They named him Beaumont ...

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    John -

I liked that one a lot. Not boring at all, great chord work, and all that. Very well conceptualised. One wouldn't guess the incessant repetition of the chords. Very good job, best one yet, I'd say. I think you came in a bit quick with the 16ths, though. Nearer the end would probably have sounded better to the ear. But otherwise, nice, very nice.

There, I've actually reviewed something :-)
    Thanks. There wasn't really any forethought there and that one bit of 16th's just kind of happened when it felt right as I was playing. If I were to actually plot out the solo it probably would have been more compositional with clearer peaks/valleys and destinations. But here I was focused on reacting to what the bass part was doing and sustaining a mood.

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There is my new take of Softly...The reharonisation made this tune more interesting for playing ...:-)
    Playing guitar with nylons opens up new interpretative possibilities.Creating a unique atmosphere and originality.
    Hope you like it:

Box
    I like it a lot. Great playing, very musical, great sense of groove, I love the tone and feel of the nylon string. AMERICAN ENGLISH IDIOM ALERT: To Americans, "nylons" (as opposed to "nylon strings") means ladies' stockings (panty hose). If that's what you are using on your guitar, I'm doubly impressed. If that's what you're wearing, well, whatever floats your boat ...

16ths absolutely do not spoil the construction of the solo, quite the opposite.
    The form of the whole is very consistent.
    Yeah, what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I think the best way's just to play it straight, really.

Straight, indeed. I like that one. A bit more adventurous than the first, with interesting melodic ideas and rhythmic sort-of cliff hangers.

I did another one take!!!
    I figured I could play better.
    did you notice it?
    I am not cheating neither in playing nor in life.
    But if you like the sound ... then here they are:
    Box
    That's pretty wild. Great job re-harmonizing and pushing the tune to its limits while maintaining a connection to the basic tune. Very difficult to do that.

User Info Menu

John ,
    You are a great person with a great sense of humor.
    I think that's what a jazz musician should be like.
    Thanks for a nice coments
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Nice playing.Great sound!
    Economical notes and the way of articulation remind me of Jim Hall.
    is it octaver efect?
    As I know J.Hall used sometimes octaver and chorus... and sometimes pitch shifter.
    Best
    kris
    Jim Hall is still my favorite player. I didn't know that he used an octaver.
    I have a patch programmed into my ME80 which is based on adding an octave-down, but only a little bit.
    Too much, and the lower notes seem to distort. But, even just a little bit of it thickens the upper notes nicely. My theory is that it makes playing fewer notes more appealing. The guitar is a Comins GCS-1 which has a fairly dark sound to begin with.

User Info Menu

Finally had a chance to listen to the contributions.

Dogle. I liked the backing track. The one with the solo (if I've got this straight) has a very nice warm tone. Was that you with the organ backing? I liked that one too.

Triple. Nice swing feel on the head. More boppish later. Octaves sounded great.

MrB. I like the screaming lead approach, with the usual fluidity and energy.

Kris: I like the whole approach. Harmony on the backing track is hip (to the point where it sounds like a different tune). I like the aggressive attack and energy.

John A. Tone is instantly great. This, sadly, gives me no excuse, since I have that same guitar. Nice overall approach, dark, bluesy, good time feel.

User Info Menu

Hi !

Oh ! I tried this standard weeks ago.

User Info Menu

No excuses, this was what I had in me today.

Feel free to comment.
    Last edited by Peterson; 09-20-2021 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.;[URL="tel:1147236"
    1147236[/URL]]Yeah, another good one. I found that backing track a little overbearing and wasn't happy with what I did with it, so I scrapped it. But you seem to have found a way through it. It seems like your playing has gotten more focused on phrasing (as opposed to speed) over the course of the last several tunes, and I think it's a good direction.
    Thank you. It’s incredibly important imo to keep jazz as an interactive music, it’s everything. These jams really do help, an audience really forces you to pick up your head and demand your consciousness to face the question “what do you want to say”. My endless days of noodling and practice must culminate somehow and good phrasing is a most desired outcome !

I urge anyone reading and not contributing to throw your lot into the ring and post weekly. It will help.

User Info Menu

Finally had a chance to listen to the contributions.

Dogle. I liked the backing track. The one with the solo (if I've got this straight) has a very nice warm tone. Was that you with the organ backing? I liked that one too.
    Thanks!
    Yes, that was me on guitar for the organ trio backer, but nothing else on that one.

User Info Menu

I've superceded the other one. This probably has more life to it. I think the vid processing drops some notes, but never mind. It always looks like I'm tense and struggling but actually I'm not, I was just wafting through it. Quite fun really.

User Info Menu

Since we've found in this tune a place to think about bass+guitar duos, here are two of my all-time favorites for this tune, both live, both full of wonderful improvisational moments.

Jim Hall and Ron Carter

Joe Pass and Red Mitchell

User Info Menu

Red Mitchell had such a mysterious magic tone. His duo with Jim Hall is my favorite album.

User Info Menu

Great version of Giants:

User Info Menu

OK, here's another version:

i promise i'll stop soon...

User Info Menu

No, you won't, it's impossible :-)

User Info Menu

Well soccer season is officially kicking my ass...finally a chance to listen a bit.

dogletnoir, really enjoyed the version with your comping...you compliment yourself well...I suppose who knows us better than ourselves. Anyway, it works. going to check out your others too, but that one grabbed my ear.

Rag, I like the idea of changing keys...this is definitely a song that's not married to a key, in my opinion. swinging nicely.

triple, very cool track inspires some hip, modern playing from you, but still swings hard and has great energy, as usual.

John A, really liked this one. there was something in the self comping and a few legato-y things that reminded me a lot of Philip Catherine, which is a very good thing.

RP, you have such a nice relaxed feel...it allows you to play straight 8ths at medium tempo and never sound lame...thats a feat! Great take.

lionelsax, I dig your "guitbass" looped line...it creates a very different vibe that interacts with your solo nicely...just like dogletnoir's...hmmm....I need to self duet next week.

Peterson, also a nice swinging take, and great sound from that PRS flattop...how are you micing that up? its nice to hear someone play acoustic jazz and not just fall into djangoisms.

time to see if I missed one...

User Info Menu

Here is something quick and dirty that i threw down.
    Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    Cheers!

Great take.
    A very fresh and modern solo.
    It's very good to listen to, even though you speak a difficult language of jazz in improvisation.
    Great sound and great time.I really like your lightness in your playing which makes it my favorite take.
    Sounds very professional.
    Congrats
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Well soccer season is officially kicking my ass...finally a chance to listen a bit.

time to see if I missed one...
    Jeff,
    I think you missed more than one.
    Don't worry - it's just fun.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danil
    Red Mitchell had such a mysterious magic tone. His duo with Jim Hall is my favorite album.
    Great Duo!

User Info Menu

how are you micing that up? its nice to hear someone play acoustic jazz and not just fall into djangoisms.
    Thanks Jeff! I’m quite impressed with that guitar. It’s a cheap one but feels good to play and sounds good at close range. Not full enough to fill a room, instead it’s just thin and middy enough to sound good straight into an iPhone at arms length. As for playing acoustic. It’s just laziness. The two minutes it takes to plug my electric in I rather spend playing

User Info Menu

There is my new take of Softly...The reharonisation made this tune more interesting for playing ...:-)
    Playing guitar with nylons opens up new interpretative possibilities.Creating a unique atmosphere and originality.
    Hope you like it:

Box
    yeah man. great scope and overall concept. You know, for all the work you’ve put into this, why don’t you write a melody and make it a contrafact? It could stand on its own as an original tune!
    cheers.

User Info Menu

yeah man. great scope and overall concept. You know, for all the work you’ve put into this, why don’t you write a melody and make it a contrafact? It could stand on its own as an original tune!
    cheers.
    Thanks...:-)
    contrafact?...good idea.
    I do it for fun. You suggest a brilliant idea.
    I have to come up with a nice melody ... :-)
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Cheers!
    Can't argue with that version! Nice!