Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 121

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    We are the masters.
    Not everyone!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I canceled my take....I will do better in a matter of days.I need to improve my right hand technique.
    There is no need to rush to record this tune.
    Last edited by kris; 09-19-2021 at 02:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I think these are evening lullabies ... after all, it's morning ...

User Info Menu

No worries about not using the tracks i provided, Triple. i had a feeling that there wouldn't be too many takers...
    Can you tell me if there was the same form issue with both versions?
    i might try to redo the bass and drums one if it's only there.
    In any case, you found something cool to play to, and i like it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Contrary to appearances, this is not an easy piece.
    Therefore, we must learn from the masters.
    Must admit I don’t find this one tricky, it’s all ii-V lines to me. I’m thinking organ trio backing for this one, I don't know why!

The first version I ever heard was the Coltrane at the Village Vanguard track, that’s a good swinging one. As I recall he treats the A section more like a modal thing in C minor, that’s also a good way to tackle it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I’m thinking organ trio backing for this one, I don't know why!
    Like this?

User Info Menu

yeah something like that - but probably faster!

User Info Menu

Some very good versions posted, the Sco and the Remler were great but the only version I ever need and the way I want to hear this tune played is this:

User Info Menu

Apparently this 'borders on the supernatural', according to some. Guess it depends how far out you are. And on what...

Not that I don't like it, of course :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Must admit I don’t find this one tricky, it’s all ii-V lines to me. I’m thinking organ trio backing for this one, I don't know why!

The first version I ever heard was the Coltrane at the Village Vanguard track, that’s a good swinging one. As I recall he treats the A section more like a modal thing in C minor, that’s also a good way to tackle it.
    You are right.
    I recorded version with a fast-playing r. section.
    Fast tempo is a big challenge.
    I like the energy of this Aebersold playing back track with reharonisation...

User Info Menu

Probably won’t be participating this week. I have my first guitar lesson since December 2020 next week, so will be focusing on trying to bone up on some weaknesses as best as I can until then.

User Info Menu

Going to throw one in...there was something in dogletnoir's backing that threw me off, probably my fault, not his...anyway, here's a "first take" (actually the second, first got interrupted...in my house, go figure)

I liked the Sco clip a little too much

User Info Menu

I appreciate the clips, both the homegrown and the pros. I hadn't heard Chet Baker's before -- which makes me want to listen to him a lot more.
    I also thought Emily Remler did a great job. Reharming the basic progression is a great idea when the tune is repetitive like this one.

I tend to be less enamored of the higher energy, more-note-per-second versions of this tune.

So I just tried to make my own. Two beats each.

Cm11 (x3334x) Dm11 6x766x x8988x

Ebmaj7#11 Cm11 Db/D Bdim

Gb/G, F/F#, E/F G7b13

Cm B/C

Maybe I'll do the bridge later.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 09-18-2021 at 09:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Probably won’t be participating this week. I have my first guitar lesson since December 2020 next week, so will be focusing on trying to bone up on some weaknesses as best as I can until then.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Best of luck with the lesson!

User Info Menu

Al right then, here's mine. Dogletnoir, I also tried doing it with yours but I didn't click with it. I also tried the one Triple_Jazz used, but couldn't jell with that one either. So I went with old reliable Mr. Sunnybass.

Definitely one of those easy but hard tunes -- it very simple so it's easy to play in the sense of making the changes, but the all the repetition makes it very difficult to do something interesting.
    Last edited by John A.; 09-19-2021 at 12:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Al right then, here's mine. Dogletnoir, I also tried doing it with yours but I didn't click with it. I also tried the one Triple_Jazz used, but couldn't jell with that one either. So I went with old reliable Mr. Sunnybass.

Definitely one of those easy but hard tunes -- it very simple so it's easy to play in the sense of making the changes, but the all the repetition makes it very difficult to do something interesting.
    I have the same opinion about this tune.
    Exelent sound!Playing with only the bass is very difficult.
    You can hear everything very clearly ... bass and guitar.
    The bass recorded by Mr. Sunnybass may have minimal inaccuracies in time.
    You have to be carefull.
    I like to play with the bass only but with the musician standing next to me ... :-)
    Last edited by kris; 09-19-2021 at 06:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I appreciate the clips, both the homegrown and the pros. I hadn't heard Chet Baker's before -- which makes me want to listen to him a lot more.
    I also thought Emily Remler did a great job. Reharming the basic progression is a great idea when the tune is repetitive like this one.

I tend to be less enamored of the higher energy, more-note-per-second versions of this tune.

So I just tried to make my own. Two beats each.

Cm11 (x3334x) Dm11 6x766x x8988x

Ebmaj7#11 Cm11 Db/D Bdim

Gb/G, F/F#, E/F G7b13

Cm B/C

Maybe I'll do the bridge later.
    One of the bridge reharm. ver:
    Ebmaj I Ebmaj I Gmin7b5 I C7 I
    Fm7 IEbm/Ab I Dm/G I G7+9 I
    Last edited by kris; 09-19-2021 at 03:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    One of the bridge reharm. ver:
    Ebmaj I Ebmaj I Gmin7b5 I C7 I
    Fm7 IEbm/Ab I Dm/G I G7+9 I
    I came up with

/Emaj7 Ebmaj7 / Dmaj7 Ebmaj7 /
    C7b13 C7 / C7#11 C7 /
    Fm Fm7 Fm6 Fm7
    Fm7 ( xx 10 10 9 11) / Fm6 (move the Eb to D) /
    G7 / G7b13

User Info Menu

There is my new take of Softly...The reharonisation made this tune more interesting for playing ...:-)
    Playing guitar with nylons opens up new interpretative possibilities.Creating a unique atmosphere and originality.
    Hope you like it:

Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Going to throw one in...there was something in dogletnoir's backing that threw me off, probably my fault, not his...anyway, here's a "first take" (actually the second, first got interrupted...in my house, go figure)

Nice playing with great feel.Perfect time.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

John -

I liked that one a lot. Not boring at all, great chord work, and all that. Very well conceptualised. One wouldn't guess the incessant repetition of the chords. Very good job, best one yet, I'd say. I think you came in a bit quick with the 16ths, though. Nearer the end would probably have sounded better to the ear. But otherwise, nice, very nice.

There, I've actually reviewed something :-)
    16ths absolutely do not spoil the construction of the solo, quite the opposite.
    The form of the whole is very consistent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

That's some wicked Tele-bopping there!!!

As for having problems with my backing track, as the saying goes... it's not you, it's me.
    My apologies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris;[URL="tel:1147042"
    1147042[/URL]]I canceled my take....I will do better in a matter of days.I need to improve my right hand technique.
    There is no need to rush to record this tune.
    Hey, that’s cheating!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Hey, that’s cheating!
    I did another one take!!!
    I figured I could play better.
    did you notice it?
    I am not cheating neither in playing nor in life.
    But if you like the sound ... then here they are:

Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris;[URL="tel:1147217"
    1147217[/URL]]I did another one take!!!
    I figured I could play better.
    did you notice it?
    I am not cheating neither in playing nor in life.
    But if you like the sound ... then here they are:

Box
    Yes that second take is very different, sounds like a whole new song! Very nice job