The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 151

User Info Menu

Ragman has picked a jam session MUST KNOW.

DIG IT!!!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 35) - Solar-1631152995232-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

haha, for once I can beat Ragman to it. (had to go back in my time machine to do it though!)

Last edited by grahambop; 09-09-2021 at 06:52 PM.

User Info Menu

There’s an interesting article here about how Chuck Wayne wrote it and Miles ‘appropriated’ it. Includes an audio clip of Chuck playing it in 1946, years before Miles did.

Some of the comments below the article explain how Miles might have got it from Chuck (Miles heard him play it on a gig and kept asking to hear it again, or something like that).

It’s ironic that the first 2 bars of Solar are engraved on Miles’ tombstone - he literally took it to the grave with him!

Chuck Wayne, Sonny & Solar | In The Muse: Performing Arts Blog
    Last edited by grahambop; 09-09-2021 at 06:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I can safely say everybody has beaten me to it because I haven't done it yet :-)

But I will...

User Info Menu

The tune intrigued me a bit because, looking at the chart, I could see it could be done pretty vanilla, or sort of medium out, or extremely out like the Metheny version (I've heard that one).

So the world's our oyster, basically.

User Info Menu

I can also safely say that the way grahambop's playing it is almost certainly the right way and is extremely difficult. You're going to have to be pretty smart to equal that.

And it won't be me because I'm useless

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    There’s an interesting article here about how Chuck Wayne wrote it and Miles ‘appropriated’ it. Includes an audio clip of Chuck playing it in 1946, years before Miles did.

Some of the comments below the article explain how Miles might have got it from Chuck (Miles heard him play it on a gig and kept asking to hear it again, or something like that).

It’s ironic that the first 2 bars of Solar are engraved on Miles’ tombstone - he literally took it to the grave with him!

Chuck Wayne, Sonny & Solar | In The Muse: Performing Arts Blog
    If Miles could see Miles without actually being Miles I’m sure Miles would call Miles a real mothergrabber.

User Info Menu

Here’s the original. Sonny —> Sunny —> Solar. Get it? I think the original uses a straight maj7 instead of the mM7 of Miles’s take.

User Info Menu

Graham, that sounds great! I love the piano track, sounds like you're actually playing with someone, not "to someone."

Or maybe you were?

Great take. I'll toss one in too.

User Info Menu

Wonderful cut Graham!

Jeff, smoking little riffs here and there, love it. How deep is the body on that Heritage? Looks awfully thin from that angle.

I’ve never done this one before and so being it’s a MUST know for the jam I’ll be jumpig on it soon as I can. I’m on special assignment down in Savannah Ga. so I’ll be posting later next week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Here’s the original. Sonny —> Sunny —> Solar. Get it? I think the original uses a straight maj7 instead of the mM7 of Miles’s take.

I reckon the estate of Chuck Wayne could SUE the estate of Miles Davis since Chuck miraculously recorded a tune before Miles ever heard of it. It's a miracle!

User Info Menu

Here is a real interesting one. Joe Pass and J.J. Johnson in a duet, guitar and trombone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz

Jeff, smoking little riffs here and there, love it. How deep is the body on that Heritage? Looks awfully thin from that angle. .
    Thank you!

575's are pretty shallow, I think 2.75" at the deepest point.

But I think part of it is that my 6'4" 250 lb. frame makes it look like a Les Paul

User Info Menu

Barney Google, with the goo-goo-goo-ga-ly eyes.
    Barney Google had a wife three times his size...

I always get an awful earworm from this tune, but I like it anyway

User Info Menu

There is a great solo of John Scofield.I worked on it about 25 years ago...:

User Info Menu

I recomended also great solo of Miles Davis/early recordings/-book and vinyl from Aebersold..
    I mastered his solo over 35 years ago:

User Info Menu

There is my short take I made two years ago/lots of penta over 251-more modern sound/.I will do another version this week...:-)
    Box
    Last edited by kris; 09-10-2021 at 05:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Graham, that sounds great! I love the piano track, sounds like you're actually playing with someone, not "to someone."

Or maybe you were?

Great take. I'll toss one in too.
    Thanks. What I did was use BIAB, but I made it start with the piano comping only, then gradually bring in the bass, then the drums. It was quite tricky playing to the comping only, I got a bit lost and had to ‘mark time’ at one point!

Enjoyed your take too. This is a great tune for just jamming, warming up etc., it’s kind of circular so you can just keep going for as long as you like. Maybe I’ll do another take (9 years on)!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I can also safely say that the way grahambop's playing it is almost certainly the right way and is extremely difficult. You're going to have to be pretty smart to equal that.

And it won't be me because I'm useless
    Thanks. I probably had played the tune a lot before I dared to record it!

Actually Miles’ version is not fast (about 160 bpm), I think everyone else started playing it faster afterwards.
    Last edited by grahambop; 09-10-2021 at 06:38 AM.

User Info Menu

You all set the benchmark pretty high - great takes from everybody.

User Info Menu

There is one of my exercises how I practise Solar...I play 6 choruses of solo and every chorus is different string.
    1 chorsus - string nr 1,
    2 chorus - string nr 2...etc.
    This exercise is great ear traning exe and motivate you to play more melodicaly not mechanicaly.
    It is not easy-so tempo is not too fast:
    Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Thanks. What I did was use BIAB, but I made it start with the piano comping only, then gradually bring in the bass, then the drums. It was quite tricky playing to the comping only, I got a bit lost and had to ‘mark time’ at one point!

Enjoyed your take too. This is a great tune for just jamming, warming up etc., it’s kind of circular so you can just keep going for as long as you like. Maybe I’ll do another take (9 years on)!
    Yes -this is a great tune- I practise it every day as a warming exe.I play it different guitars-nylon strings,electric etc.
    Great take Grahambop...:-)
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here is a real interesting one. Joe Pass and J.J. Johnson in a duet, guitar and trombone!

+1
    I know this
    CD.All tracks from CD are great.Fantasic Duo!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here's a quick and dirty first take: