The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 151

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Decided to revisit this tune, but this time did it slower (about the same tempo as Miles' version).

Great relaxed version with a nice feel.
    A lot of beautiful jazz lines/great jazz language/.
    The solo is very legible and the choruses flow beautifully like a luxury ship at sea.
    Best
    Kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Finally found a minute to cut this one. At first I didn’t really like it, then it really grew on me.

Pretty good for the first meeting with 'Solar'.
    My suggestion: try to build long phrases of 8ths.
    The fast 16 triols cause some uneasiness.
    Focus on 251, there is a lot of it in Solar.Try to play straight 8ths throughout the chorus./good exercise /.
    Nice jazz sound!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The solo is very legible and the choruses flow beautifully like a luxury ship at sea.
    Thanks kris! (let’s hope it’s not the Titanic...)

User Info Menu

Thanks kris! (let’s hope it’s not the Titanic...)
    This ship is more modern and smaller ...I played "jazz" on such a ship - it's safe.
    Attachment 84603
    Last edited by kris; 09-15-2021 at 04:34 AM.

User Info Menu

First cut was a bit rough and so here’s a more relaxed version. I think it’s more musical and follows some of Kris advice.

User Info Menu

Here's my effort. In keeping with my desire not to post polished, final products, this is a bit sketchy or rough, but i had fun doing it.

Feedback is welcome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here's my effort. In keeping with my desire not to post polished, final products, this is a bit sketchy or rough, but i had fun doing it.

Feedback is welcome.

Very nice playing.I love that you have control over the musical expression in choruses.
    The playing is very easy to read with a nice sense of timing.
    Great sounding of your jazz box.

User Info Menu

Very nice playing.I love that you have control over the musical expression in choruses.
    The playing is very easy to read with a nice sense of timing.
    Great sounding of your jazz box.
    Many thanks. I was trying to "wait" for a musical idea before I just started playing something, so sometimes it became a little awkward. Still, it was a fun experiment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    First cut was a bit rough and so here’s a more relaxed version. I think it’s more musical and follows some of Kris advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Feedback is welcome.

Very fine renditions from both of you: relaxed and so unhurried!

User Info Menu

I was having so much fun with this I tried another one. This one doesn't include the head, just picks up the last few bars and moves to the solo.

I'm trying to think a lot about the tune away from the guitar, but when I play, I'm trying to "wait" on the ideas to come before I play... don't know how well that's working, but it's a fun experiment.

Feedback appreciated.

User Info Menu

Usual last blast. Roll on the next one.

User Info Menu

I thought we'd still talk about solo build and tension in Solar.
    Playing over chords is just the beginning ... :-)

User Info Menu

Proving to myself once again that if I focus on the sound I don’t listen to the music. Have you made a wah work in jazz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Proving to myself once again that if I focus on the sound I don’t listen to the music. Have you made a wah work in jazz?

Wah-wah with the walking bass...I do not think is a good idea.If you find backing track in fusion,funnky style and try to play with wah- wah efect will be better in my opinion.
    So you can play jazz solo with wahwah over Solar but use different style of backing tr.Backing track/f.ex.funnky/will motivate you to play jazz solo / 8 or 16 thinking / more dynamically.
    Hope this help.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

About building a solo:
    Do not play too many notes at the beginning of the first chorus, let the listener get interested in your input by playing sparingly at the beginning.Depending on how many choruses you play, slowly increase the number of notes, building longer and longer musical phrases.
    Then the solos will be much more interesting for the audience.You can also gradually operate the dynamics, which will further emphasize the expression of the solo.
    Best
    Kris
    Box
    Last edited by kris; 09-16-2021 at 07:49 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of wah wah in general unless it's being used as a tone shaper in a fixed position, so I really can't comment on this. But I liked the beginning of your take: very atmospheric.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I'm not a fan of wah wah in general unless it's being used as a tone shaper in a fixed position, so I really can't comment on this. But I liked the beginning of your take: very atmospheric.
    I’m not either but I wanted to give it a try. Now I have

User Info Menu

I wanted to give it a try.
    Sure - why not?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Sure - why not?
    I would be very careful with the use of Wah Wah in interpreting jazz standards.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I would be very careful with the use of Wah Wah in interpreting jazz standards.
    It’s quite effective for imitating Bubber Miley’s trumpet though:

User Info Menu

It’s quite effective for imitating Bubber Miley’s trumpet though:

Yes..it is a great band Steely Dan with fantastic Donald Fagen...anyway It is more pop,jazz,rock group.
    I take it as a great trumpet parody effect.It fits very well with the atmosphere of the whole piece.
    Great efect for the show of Steely Dan.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I liked that quite a bit. Especially where you were just slowly moving the wah in the treble end of its range. I might have to get a wah again after hearing this.

User Info Menu

I can only share what I heard at the jazz clinic from Garrison Fewell/friend of mine/-great guitarist and educator/about 30 year ago/.A fan of beautiful sound and old arch-top Gibsons.
    "A pure guitar sound is the noblest..."