The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 151

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    This has been one of my favorite tunes for quite a while, yet it's been some time since I've played it.
    Archtop is getting a setup so got a Tele for this one.

Great sounding Tele.
    It is OK ...but I sugest more straight 8ths is solo.It will be smoother.
    Playing with only the bass is a challenge.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    OK, so here's another. When I mixed this down form Garageband to iTunes I listed the composer as Chuck Wayne. Everybody feel better now?

John,
    Great sound of jazz box/12s great gauge of strings/.
    You have a very good guitar technique.
    Sometimes I get the impression that this technical ease causes minimal loss of time.
    ...but I can be wrong.Maybe these are the charms of playing with a static backing track.
    Anyway You play a lot of beautifull jazz lines with great jazz sound.

User Info Menu

I have been practicing Solar chords for over a dozen years.
    Every day when I wake up I want to practice - play this piece on a classical guitar.
    I never felt bored.
    Whenever I play it, new ideas come to me.
    A brilliant composition with great educational potential.
    Grahambop +1
    The way I practise every morning...:-):
    Box

User Info Menu

Well, i know this is a guitar site, but... i went for it on the bass.

Ibby GSRM20B WN-F (the model number is bigger than the bass, which is short scale; less than 29").
    About the same size as my Ibanez RG 421, actually...
    i just call her 'MiKro'.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 09-12-2021 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

I liked that! Definitely suits the bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Great sounding Tele.
    It is OK ...but I sugest more straight 8ths is solo.It will be smoother.
    Playing with only the bass is a challenge.
    I agree my take is quite busy, there's a lot of notes and rhythms. I probably had been practicing the changes a little too much
    As an experiment I removed the bass track and replaced it with comping.

User Info Menu

And here's another one with a good old Aebersold. I mixed the backing track lower because the piano is quite loud and busy, I would have liked more drums and bass and I didn't feel like dealing with the Stereo separation thing on Aebersolds.

Last edited by Ronstuff; 09-12-2021 at 09:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Getting bored with backing tracks lately. This is kinda how I start warming up to a tune--slow, with minimal backing. I took the drum loop and left a click on 2 and 4. I dunno if I'll have the time, but I am thinking to post a few more takes of increasing tempo over the next 5 days.

I really enjoyed this, wonderful job! Nice and easy, yet plenty there.

What guitar is this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I really enjoyed this, wonderful job! Nice and easy, yet plenty there.

What guitar is this?
    Thanks, Triple. The guitar is a Seventy Seven Hawk Standard Deep. It was my compromise to spending $5k on an actual, vintage single pickup ES-175. Chunky one-piece mahogany neck, laminate maple top, aftermarket BG Pure90 pickup. Fun fact: John A. plays the Jazz version (spruce laminate vs. maple) with two pickups in his takes this week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir

Ibby GSRM20B WN-F (the model number is bigger than the bass, which is short scale (less than 29").
    i just call her 'MiKro'.
    Nice sounding short scale bass...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    I agree my take is quite busy, there's a lot of notes and rhythms. I probably had been practicing the changes a little too much
    As an experiment I removed the bass track and replaced it with comping.

Have you spent a good deal of time working specifically on your picking dynamics? You have so much control. My dynamic range is too wide—I’d like to get that under control, so there is still a difference between loud and soft, but not such an extreme difference. You have it really well under control—is it something you’ve worked on, or does it just come naturally? I tend to really wail on the high E and B strings—maybe leftover from my rock and roll days.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Triple. The guitar is a Seventy Seven Hawk Standard Deep. It was my compromise to spending $5k on an actual, vintage single pickup ES-175. Chunky one-piece mahogany neck, laminate maple top, aftermarket BG Pure90 pickup. Fun fact: John A. plays the Jazz version (spruce laminate vs. maple) with two pickups in his takes this week.
    Very nice playing on that one, Wysiwyg. Sounds like a real solo on a real tune, not just mucking around with changes, which is really difficult to achieve playing by ourselves this way. That guitar really sounds great, too. Classic 175 tones.

My 77 is actually a single pickup model. It was custom made for a previous owner with one pickup and block inlays instead of two/split parallelograms that the Hawk Jazz usually has. It would be interesting to compare our two models side by side to get a sense of how much difference/overlap there is.

Kris: Thanks for your kind words. Regarding my time drifting, in this case I think it's a function of playing while sleepy and the track. But in general, time keeping and staying with the form are things I'm trying to improve.

Ronstuff: none of those takes sounded especially busy to me. Great sound from the tele, as well.

Dogletnoir: bass sounds good and is always welcome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir

Ibby GSRM20B WN-F (the model number is bigger than the bass, which is short scale (less than 29").
    i just call her 'MiKro'.
    Here’s a crazy idea: next week’s tune, if you’re available / interested, keeping with the spirit of the jam idea, how about recording a backing track with your bass playing for the rest of us knuckleheads to solo over?

User Info Menu

after great vacation in Greece/I/ve got a lot of "Solar" energy/...:-)

Attachment 84540
    Very occasionally we are allocated enough sunshine here in the UK to actually swim in the sea. Here’s me getting solarised at West Wittering beach last week:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 35) - Solar-3321b34f-41c8-41a2-8644-e9a58ecd6fc0-jpg

User Info Menu

Have you spent a good deal of time working specifically on your picking dynamics? You have so much control. My dynamic range is too wide—I’d like to get that under control, so there is still a difference between loud and soft, but not such an extreme difference. You have it really well under control—is it something you’ve worked on, or does it just come naturally? I tend to really wail on the high E and B strings—maybe leftover from my rock and roll days.
    Thanks for the comment! I played with a heavy right hand for quite a while, Rock and Gypsy Jazz influenced.
    At a certain point I did want to get a lighter touch, and I worked on it and checked out players such as Ed Bickert among others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Very occasionally we are allocated enough sunshine here in the UK to actually swim in the sea. Here’s me getting solarised at West Wittering beach last week:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 35) - Solar-3321b34f-41c8-41a2-8644-e9a58ecd6fc0-jpg
    Grahambop,
    Nice weather and a nice photo.
    Is the sea reasonably warm?
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Grahambop,
    Nice weather and a nice photo.
    Is the sea reasonably warm?
    Best
    kris
    Yes, not bad, the air temperature was about 27C, and the sea comes in a long way over very flat sand there, so it was ok. Not exactly up to Greek standards, but I was able to swim for half an hour without feeling cold, which is pretty unusual here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes, not bad, the air temperature was about 27C, and the sea comes in a long way over very flat sand there, so it was ok. Not exactly up to Greek standards, but I was able to swim for half an hour without feeling cold, which is pretty unusual here!
    Great!
    Thanks for the info on weather conditions.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

We can observe that "Solar" energy is everywhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff;[URL="tel:1145834"
    1145834[/URL]]This has been one of my favorite tunes for quite a while, yet it's been some time since I've played it.
    Archtop is getting a setup so got a Tele for this one.

WoW you hit this one way out of the park!!! Loved it, solo had me hanging along with every night and then the chord work, then that melody on top of the chords.....majestic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    WoW you hit this one way out of the park!!! Loved it, solo had me hanging along with every night and then the chord work, then that melody on top of the chords.....majestic!
    Thanks! Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Feedback appreciated
    Last edited by Peterson; 09-13-2021 at 08:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Well done, Peterson, I thought that was excellent. You've definitely got something. Very good lines. People don't realise how difficult it is to play like that, both fluidly and melodically. Not a bum note anywhere.

Keep going! Just takes a little more confidence in your abilities and bingo, you'll have it sown up. Not this tune specifically, but jazz guitar playing. Nice work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well done, Peterson, I thought that was excellent. You've definitely got something. Very good lines. People don't realise how difficult it is to play like that, both fluidly and melodically. Not a bum note anywhere.

Keep going! Just takes a little more confidence in your abilities and bingo, you'll have it sown up. Not this tune specifically, but jazz guitar playing. Nice work.
    Thank you!! Very kind words indeed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Very kind words indeed!
    Also true. Much more important than kind :-)