The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hello everyone! I've been posting videos in the chord melody forum, but this time I figured I would venture out to single note soloing, with more emphasis on improvisation. What better song to do that with than with Maiden Voyage?

I've been focusing so much on chord melody for the past few months so that doing something like this actually feels like I'm tackling a completely different genre.

Hope you enjoy, and I would love it if you had thoughts on how I could improve!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hot and tasty...your ability to play keyboard and bass..shows your understanding of the tune in harmonic melodic and rhythmic structures.

this tune for me (and many others) is a turning point in jazz and other styles as well..Miles/Evans flavors in a very cool modal mix

thanks for this vid

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MadeulPlaysGuitar

Hello everyone! I've been posting videos in the chord melody forum, but this time I figured I would venture out to single note soloing, with more emphasis on improvisation. What better song to do that with than with Maiden Voyage?

I've been focusing so much on chord melody for the past few months so that doing something like this actually feels like I'm tackling a completely different genre.

Hope you enjoy, and I would love it if you had thoughts on how I could improve!
    Sounds great, thanks for sharing! I'm not far enough along on the journey to give any tips to improve.

I am curious as to your production process. Which instrument do you record first? Second? Third? Do you re-record any of them in light of what you play on one of the other instruments?

I too play piano and bass and love this approach for truly understanding a tune at multiple levels.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    Hot and tasty...your ability to play keyboard and bass..shows your understanding of the tune in harmonic melodic and rhythmic structures.

this tune for me (and many others) is a turning point in jazz and other styles as well..Miles/Evans flavors in a very cool modal mix

thanks for this vid
    Thanks wolflen! I do indeed find that playing the tune first on the keys helps me understand the harmony better. Rhythm has always been a challenge for me... hopefully working on the bass will help with that a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroonblazer
    Sounds great, thanks for sharing! I'm not far enough along on the journey to give any tips to improve.

I am curious as to your production process. Which instrument do you record first? Second? Third? Do you re-record any of them in light of what you play on one of the other instruments?

I too play piano and bass and love this approach for truly understanding a tune at multiple levels.

Thanks again!
    Can't say I have a "process" yet as I've just started doing this faux trio thing, but here's what I did for this tune: I first worked on a preliminary version with all three tracks through an iterative process (swap out tracks, re-arrange, etc.). Once I had a working version I was happy with, I recorded the final version for the guitar on top of the existing piano/bass tracks. Then I re-did the bass and finally the piano. Working like this helped me keep the guitar grounded in the overall structure but also to let the rhythm section stay "out of the way" as needed.

Hope this helps! Love your username, by the way.

User Info Menu

I do a lot of this sort of thing on these static changes

|| D7 sus | D7 +11 | D7 sus | D7 | ... thus the single harmony note G sequences as G G# G F#

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I do a lot of this sort of thing on these static changes

|| D7 sus | D7 +11 | D7 sus | D7 | ... thus the single harmony note G sequences as G G# G F#
    Nice! I haven’t thought of using the #11 note, Although I did use a lot of natural 3.

User Info Menu