The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 77

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 34) - Let's Cool One-1630614953258-jpg

Wzpgsr has selected this classic for week 34. Have fun!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, excellent choice! Enjoy some of Philly’s own doing a fantastic job of this one.

User Info Menu

I won’t be able to kick us off tonight, so someone else please feel free. I’ll be back in the saddle with a guitar this weekend.

User Info Menu

I used a bass only backing track for this one.

I haven't seen much discussion on this issue, but the absence of another comping instrument, or horns creating chordal accompaniment, is freeing. I threw some chords into this one that conflict with the chart. With a keyboard, there would be a potential for trouble and I would worry about doing it. But, with just a bass player, there's one less thing - harmony - to worry about. Of course, it depends on the kb player.

In the words of Warren Nunes, responding to some transitional chords I wrote to lead to the bridge of The Song Is You, "you better tell the piano player what you're doing".
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 09-02-2021 at 08:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar;[URL="tel:1144252"
    1144252[/URL]]

I used a bass only backing track for this one.

I haven't seen much discussion on this issue, but the absence of another comping instrument, or horns creating chordal accompaniment, is freeing. I threw some chords into this one that conflict with the chart. With a keyboard, there would be a potential for trouble and I would worry about doing it. But, with just a bass player, there's one less thing - harmony - to worry about. Of course, it depends on the kb player.

In the words of Warren Nunes, responding to some transitional chords I wrote to lead to the bridge of The Song Is You, "you better tell the piano player what you're doing".
    Awesome job, I love the chord work! You’ve inspired me to do a similar take, hopefully I’ll get something this afternoon to post.

User Info Menu

Great tune and I love Monk. Trying to get familiar with the tune as of writing this.

User Info Menu

Well, this is fun. Thelonius at his eccentric best. Thank god for some lightness, especially with bebop. Thank you, wzpgsr!

User Info Menu

rp -

Yes, very nice stuff over that C7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Awesome job, I love the chord work! You’ve inspired me to do a similar take, hopefully I’ll get something this afternoon to post.
    I was trying to imitate Dave Sanders, from your post, which I liked a lot. Really nice inclusion of chords for the guitar trio format.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, this is fun. Thelonius at his eccentric best. Thank god for some lightness, especially with bebop. Thank you, wzpgsr!

This one put me in mind of Charlie Christian. Nice take.

User Info Menu

I’ve played this tune before but it’s been a while. Happy to have returned to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I’ve played this tune before but it’s been a while. Happy to have returned to it.

A lot of very nice melodic ideas in the solo. One after another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    This one put me in mind of Charlie Christian.
    God, I hope not. I mean, he was very good but way out of date now!

User Info Menu

By the way, if anyone is interested in playing a lot of Monk tunes I can recommend the Thelonious Monk Fakebook (Hal Leonard), which I got recently. All the tunes (70 in total) have been transcribed by guitarist Steve Cardenas from specific Monk recordings, and he includes a lot of the additional harmonies used by Monk, which really helps you to get the tunes right. ‘Let’s Cool One’ also includes the harmonies from the horn arrangement on the original 1952 version.

Miles Okazaki (who recorded all 70 tunes for solo guitar) recommends this book, so it’s not just me!

User Info Menu

You can hear Miles Okazaki’s version here (hit the arrow and it plays the whole track):

Let's Cool One | Miles Okazaki

User Info Menu

Having too much fun with this one, here’s another!

User Info Menu

Tried to get some of the Monk vibe here. His playing is so cool!
    Away for the weekend, but managed to get this one in today.

User Info Menu

I've decided I'm not crazy enough to do this tune justice. However, there is this:

But the best solo I've heard so far is this one from our Peter.

User Info Menu

Greetings from Greece.

Attachment 84404

User Info Menu

let’s cool one in the swimming pool!

User Info Menu

It’s also the first track on Peter Bernstein’s excellent ‘Monk’ album:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff;[URL="tel:1144693"
    1144693[/URL]]Tried to get some of the Monk vibe here. His playing is so cool!
    Away for the weekend, but managed to get this one in today.
    Very nice Monk Vibe, totally there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I've decided I'm not crazy enough to do this tune justice. However, there is this:

But the best solo I've heard so far is this one from our Peter.

This one certainly doesn’t have the CC vibe (I sorta agree with Tom, it was in the rhythm strumming) This has a great feel. It occurred to me that I should transcribe this and stuff some 1/8th notes in between your color notes, I really like the way you land a lot of them.

btw that Bernstein clip was awesome! I’ve been on a Bernstein kick lately. The Live at Cory Weed’s is particularly good.

User Info Menu

TJ -

The first clip was intended to be humorous, at least somewhat, and it felt right, at the time, to give it an over-solid thumping. The notes in the middle were intended to be ridiculously out (C over Ab, I think). That and manually tuning down the E to Eb at the end... did you catch that?

Bernstein can be pretty good. I have to say I prefer the Angelucci version to the trio album one. I thought the one solo was impressive enough. There was a bit too much going on for me on the album version (no offence to grahambop, always good to compare).

You're right, I don't do a lot of filling in with 8ths. I do over most chords but with substitute doms it's a bit tricky. The subs, if it interests, are based on minor 3rds, so Eb7 would be Gb7, A7 or C7. Depends on the tune, though, it's a fairly rough sound.

User Info Menu

Had a bit of time this morning...gotta shake off the rust!

Now I can finally listen to y'all.