The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 77

User Info Menu

Nice takes, everyone!

Slow going getting back into the saddle here. I need to crank the BPM up a few notches. My backing track just about puts ME to sleep. Maybe I'll pound out a quickie tomorrow.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I liked that, lovely jazz feel to it. Of course, you don't need to play it s-l-o-w-l-y just because the track is slow... depends on the tune, I guess.

User Info Menu

Jeff -

Nice bluesy one

User Info Menu

I need to learn double time. This tempo begs for it. Two vids... the first one is the first take, second one perhaps the forth take.

User Info Menu

The second one is better and more confident, probably because you'd got into it more.

But I'll say what I said before, get it off the page. Your ability to play meaningfully will increase immeasurably because your attention won't be divided. Seriously, do it now. Don't stop till you know it and know that you know it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    The second one is better and more confident, probably because you'd got into it more.

But I'll say what I said before, get it off the page. Your ability to play meaningfully will increase immeasurably because your attention won't be divided. Seriously, do it now. Don't stop till you know it and know that you know it.
    Thanks for the push! Here’s my first attempt without lead sheet. Very vanilla.

User Info Menu

MUCH better already. Listen to it, see how it flows, right? It's got a push to it.

But you're a little quick off the mark, give your brain a chance to absorb it :-)

User Info Menu

Nice takes, folks!

Rp, loved all the chordal stuff.

Peterson, definitely enjoyed the "lead sheet free" take best. You're playing the song now, not letting it play you.

Rag, I liked the "swing take." This is a funny tune, its Monk, so its always hip, but it can easily be done as a 1930's style swinger...but then again, I think Django and Monk were kindred spirits.

Triple and Ron, both getting at some of those Monk angles, but still sounding like yourselves, too. That's challenging. I have a tough time with Monk tunes, the temptation to play "Monk-like" often gets the better of me, and the result is usually lackluster because, well...I ain't Monk.

User Info Menu

Peterson -

Here's a version with subs revealed. Don't know why, it just happened. But not following a script does help. Sorry, lousy quality as usual.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I have a tough time with Monk tunes, the temptation to play "Monk-like" often gets the better of me, and the result is usually lackluster because, well...I ain't Monk.
    But what is 'Monk-like'? I don't think you were lackluster, just as strong as usual. Probably because you're superfit now after all that running around with the kids

User Info Menu

But what is 'Monk-like'?
    A lot of things combined really. Rhythmically, Monk was from another planet. He also used dissonance in a very advanced way for the time, and did a lot of wider leaps up and down in his lines.

He was fucking brilliant. In my opinion, the most singular voice in jazz history.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A lot of things combined really. Rhythmically, Monk was from another planet. He also used dissonance in a very advanced way for the time, and did a lot of wider leaps up and down in his lines.

He was fucking brilliant. In my opinion, the most singular voice in jazz history.
    Yes - while at the same time often using straight forward if not to say "traditional" melodies and chord progressions in his compositions.

I have a strange feeling that this tune doesn't like me - LOL! Although this isn't complex stuff I'm having a hard time coming up with coherent lines over the changes - no idea why...

User Info Menu

Didn't get a chance to use it yet, but if anybody wants to play along with one chorus of old school rhythm, feel free.

User Info Menu

Well, I tried the thumping approach. Wasn't too popular as I recall. But your thumping is much better than mine :-)

I'm having a hard time coming up with coherent lines over the changes - no idea why..
    Because it's more a novelty song, not to be taken too seriously. At least, that was my first instinct, hence the thumping. Have fun with it, go cuckoo, leap about! It's about strangeness and eccentricity, not a nice ballad :-)

User Info Menu

I tried to include a few crunchy chords using the 'open strings in flat keys' approach that Peter Bernstein talks about. Hopefully makes it sound a bit more Monkish!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I tried to include a few crunchy chords using the 'open strings in flat keys' approach that Peter Bernstein talks about. Hopefully makes it sound a bit more Monkish!

Real nice. Right around 1:55 you were swinging so far behind the beat (in a good way) I thought you might fall off the stool! I liked how you inserted more chords than I think you usually do—I might be wrong, just something I noticed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Real nice. Right around 1:55 you were swinging so far behind the beat (in a good way) I thought you might fall off the stool! I liked how you inserted more chords than I think you usually do—I might be wrong, just something I noticed.
    Thanks. Yes you’re right, I decided to remove the piano on the backing (because it didn’t sound like Monk!) which freed me up to play some chords, that was intentional.

I think I do tend to play behind the beat at slower tempos, probably got that from years of listening to Dexter Gordon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Thanks. Yes you’re right, I decided to remove the piano on the backing (because it didn’t sound like Monk!) which freed me up to play some chords, that was intentional.

I think I do tend to play behind the beat at slower tempos, probably got that from years of listening to Dexter Gordon!
    Dexter Gordon-I like his feel also /years of listening/.
    Great take Grahambop.
    Best
    kris
    ps.
    Just back from vacation.

User Info Menu

Jammin’ with Jeff:

User Info Menu

Peterson -

It's good, you got through it, but why have you speeded it up? It's a medium tune. You can get more nice lines in if it's slower :-)

(I think you got bored doing it at the same speed before all the time, don't blame you)

User Info Menu

I didn't get bored with the speed but I got bored with trying to be clever all the time. So here's a nice, sweet, calm version, lots of gentle melodic 8th notes gradually lulling you into a lovely vanilla paradise... except for that one chord, but there's always one :-)

User Info Menu

Now here's mine - warts and all. Not overly happy with what I'm able to come up with right now but that's where I am at :

Feedback and suggestions welcome as always...

User Info Menu

I didn't get bored with the speed but I got bored with trying to be clever all the time. So here's a nice, sweet, calm version, lots of gentle melodic 8th notes gradually lulling you into a lovely vanilla paradise... except for that one chord, but there's always one :-)

Beautiful - I like that!

User Info Menu

Tommo! That was good swingy stuff all right. You've done this before!

User Info Menu

Tommo! That was good swingy stuff all right. You've done this before!
    Thanks! In A Mellow Tone I guess... Somehow this here Monk tune sounds quite Ellingtonish to me...