The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 104

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    It’s a difficult song to improvise melodically over. When I feel the resolution should come it just doesn’t. I get tangled in seemingly endless tension.

Love the way you leave lots of space - sounds very relaxed!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven't have a lot of time, and couldn't get the head down well enough (will keep at it, though) or really feel like I have the tune completely in hand, so here's just a quick chorus.

Listening to others now ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I wonder if a lot of these less than glowing reactions to the tune reflect the fact that many of us learned jazz in a period in which bebop was not the "common practice language" and so its basic motions and characteristics feel alien? I love bebop, listen to it constantly, and would love to be a good bebop player, and so I love this tune and enjoy all its quirkly little twists and turns. Play it? I likely will make a hash of it. But I don't see how anyone could all it cold, sterile, or whatever. It reflects the quirky, unpredictable, surprising nature of bebop at its height. You can't just zone out on a predictable form, though these tunes have their own inner logic.

To me, it's a challenge: do I force music to fit my expectation, or do I let it challenge my fixed ideas and emotional reactions? I confess I fail to rise to this challenge adequately in the face of some kinds of music and some tunes, but for me bop's challenge is one I really want to meet.
    I'd say the changes are not so much a bop tune as a bop reharmonization that skips that actual tune. I think if you have a decent amount of bebop language at your command, this is still a pretty hard tune (for me, very hard). You gotta just take your lumps on this one. Anyway, the grumbling is mainly Ragman, and for him that's just a way to show enthusiasm.

User Info Menu

Thought I'd do this as an experiment. Medium pace and pretty simple.

TJ, I don't think the clock stopped on this one but I might have bought it in a cheap shop :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    the grumbling is mainly Ragman, and for him that's just a way to show enthusiasm.
    I was only grumbling about the head because I thought it sounded too composed, too obviously 'let's write a bebop tune'. But, you know, you can get used to anything. But the changes are fun.

Btw, I liked the way your vid faded out... Hey, that's not what I meant!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson;[URL="tel:1143475"
    1143475[/URL]]This take is like a typical day for me. Four kids, oldest 7, all boys. Rare glimpses of structure amidst periods of gradual breakdown.
    Feedback appreciated! I’ll give it another go before Thursday.

Your clips aren’t bad, maybe just need some command and attitude in the playing. The note choices and phrasing seems solid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Love the way you leave lots of space - sounds very relaxed!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Your clips aren’t bad, maybe just need some command and attitude in the playing. The note choices and phrasing seems solid.
    I guess that’s the hard part. Note choice and phrasing is so much more concrete and easy to practise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I was only grumbling about the head because I thought it sounded too composed, too obviously 'let's write a bebop tune'. But, you know, you can get used to anything. But the changes are fun.

Btw, I liked the way your vid faded out... Hey, that's not what I meant!
    The best thing about my take is that it was short.

User Info Menu

Guys I had every hope of learning this tune, but this is the week before my classes start up and I have a ton of work to do, and one week is just pushing this too hard too fast for my feeble skills.

I'll be listening to your takes, and envying you for getting it done, but I think I'm going to hoist the white flag.

User Info Menu

Guys I had every hope of learning this tune, but this is the week before my classes start up and I have a ton of work to do, and one week is just pushing this too hard too fast for my feeble skills.

I'll be listening to your takes, and envying you for getting it done, but I think I'm going to hoist the white flag.
    Same. Not a good week for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The best thing about my take is that it was short.
    Don't worry, it felt longer... Hey, that's not what I meant either!

It was fine, of course. Quite hard to keep that sort of thing going. Not an easy tune anyway.

User Info Menu

Here's another one... I had this unused Attila Zoller pickup hanging around so I decided to try it in my Guild. Seems cool sounding.

User Info Menu

John, cool Scofield type tone. Nice chords in the solo!

Peterson your stuff sound good, everything is right in the changes.

It's a tough one for sure!

User Info Menu

No idea how I played the head ok on this, it's a tough one on guitar and I was going to give up after 3 hopeless attempts. Then I had to go and do something else for half-an-hour, so when I came back I gave it one last try. I guess the break helped my concentration, and my hands had warmed up a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Here's another one... I had this unused Attila Zoller pickup hanging around so I decided to try it in my Guild. Seems cool sounding.

Sensational! You really played melodic ideas and tuneful phrases that sounded wonderful to me. The tone was super as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    No idea how I played the head ok on this, it's a tough one on guitar and I was going to give up after 3 hopeless attempts. Then I had to go and do something else for half-an-hour, so when I came back I gave it one last try. I guess the break helped my concentration, and my hands had warmed up a bit.

That was inspiring! In tone, tunefulness, boppish accents, it reminded me of Joe Pass on the Joy Spring album. I don't know how to give a higher compliment than that!

you've now got me thinking I will keep working on the tune even though I can't get it done this week.

User Info Menu

Great take, just full of tasty lines with a great feel and tone!

User Info Menu

Sensational! You really played melodic ideas and tuneful phrases that sounded wonderful to me. The tone was super as well.
    Thanks! Trying to be musical while making the changes. I’m digging the Zoller pickup but I believe my other one(Ibanez super 70) is warmer.

User Info Menu

That was inspiring! In tone, tunefulness, boppish accents, it reminded me of Joe Pass on the Joy Spring album. I don't know how to give a higher compliment than that!

you've now got me thinking I will keep working on the tune even though I can't get it done this week.
    Thanks Lawson. I’ve noticed that playing melodies in the lower or middle register on the 175 gets more of that thunk sound, so I think I keep going there!

I find all the descending triplets in this tune are hard to play well on the guitar though, I suspect they are easier on sax or piano.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Great take, just full of tasty lines with a great feel and tone!
    Thanks Ron!

User Info Menu

Damn, I’m jealous! You find tons of melodic sweet spots hidden in the harmony. Excellent!

User Info Menu

Not a ton of time for me this week for listening or playing—I’m envious of those who were able to plow forward on this tune. It sounds pretty tricky and like a tune worth tackling some day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Damn, I’m jealous! You find tons of melodic sweet spots hidden in the harmony. Excellent!
    Thanks. I really like that description, it sums up what I’ve been working on for the last 40 years!

User Info Menu

I was inspired by Grahambop's take so I did another one. I tried to use more of the middle strings on the guitar like Graham. I used an Abersold track where the tempo is slower and included his very famous count-in for your listening pleasure. Also tried to only think of V chord in II-V's to simplify things a little. A work in progress...

User Info Menu

I spent some more time shedding the head today (I had a bad chart that I had spent too much time with, and wound up having to just get it off the Sco/Henderson recording by ear tonight). I've pretty much got it now, but no time to do any recording for the next couple of days.

Ron: good stuff on both takes, definitely mastered the changes.

Ragman: I didn't get to all of yours yet. So far I like the sort of bossa-ish vibe of the first one.

RPJ: Nice demo of the fingerings. I probably should have watched that before I shedded the head myself. The improv sounded good to me, though you've got this kind of barking overtone on your guitar that I'm not sure fits :-)

Peterson: Valiant efforts, and I feel your pain.

Trips: I think this one was really good. Your time was spot on, nailed the changes, came up with some good ideas. One of your best so far.

Graham: Yup, you got it.