The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 104

User Info Menu

Ron -

You haven't heard my backwards outside version yet...

But seriously, in themselves the chords aren't that hard, it's playing coherent lines over the whole thing. Not so easy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think you'll have to do without me on this one - way over my modest skill set. See you next week hopefully....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Ron

You haven't heard my backwards outside version yet...

But seriously, in themselves the chords aren't that hard, it's playing coherent lines over the whole thing. Not so easy.
    I agree, the changes aren’t that difficult. It’s the kind of tune where it’s easy to get stuck in the structure and the constant harmonic mouvement.

User Info Menu

I think the changes are difficult if you try to chase them...this is a tune to use touchstones with...

User Info Menu

Actually I think you can play this kind of like it's "Wave" except maybe with a blues feeling...

User Info Menu

I hadn't played this tune before. I spent some time listening to various versions yesterday. I thought the best one was probably the Miles/Bird version, which I guess is the first recording?

TBH, not that anybody asked, I don't feel anything for, or from, this tune.

I see the vaguely V-im between the E and the Ab- and I get that the Ab- becomes the ii of a ii V that moves to Cm rather than resolving in Gb - and that you could see the Db7 as leading to Cm. Or as the tritone of a Gdom leading to Cm. Then it goes from Cm to C#m then a ii V in A to a ii V in Bb.

The ii V's moving around in the bridge seem arbitrary.

I get that there is, arguably, some logic to the tune, but I can't feel it. It feels, to me, like they wrote it by putting 2 and 4 bar phrases in a hat and pulling them out at random.

Since Bird, Miles and many other players liked the tune well enough to record it, I'll cheerfully accept that I'm not appreciating the artistry that is within it.

Which brings me to my point. Maybe a particular player can't be expected to feel the spirit of just any tune. Maybe some things are going to speak to you and others not.

I ended up doing two videos. The first one is just about working out a fingering for the melody. I spent some time with it and got it, sort of, up to about 145. It was first recorded at around 160. My approach to bar 5 is based on what I learned from Warren Nunes and might be of interest. EDIT: Later, I found it easier to play the C# which begins the last phrase in the bridge, with the index finger. But, that phrase remains the ceiling for me -- I can't play the tune any faster than I can play that phrase.

One thing I noticed, the versions I liked best had the best swing feel. That's hard to nail when you're struggling to play the notes somewhere near the right moment.

The second one is an attempt at improvising on a tune I shouldn't play because I can't understand/feel/appreciate the harmony.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 08-28-2021 at 04:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

TBH, not that anybody asked, I don't feel anything for, or from, this tune.
    Me neither, it's emotionless and obviously contrived. However, if you heard that Rosenwinkle version, a really good hell-for-leather bebop take can definitely excite an audience. Which might be the point.

User Info Menu

Well sorry to disappoint with my tune choice…Some were tired of the same type of tunes, I guess this one is a bit too much. Maybe go for the modal Milestones instead!
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 08-27-2021 at 07:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Well sorry to disappoint with my tune choice…
    Please don't take my comments that way. This is a classic bop tune by the Masters.

I shared my reaction to the tune, but I think it was an excellent choice, because it illustrates some things that we haven't yet encountered in this series.

User Info Menu

Me neither, it's emotionless and obviously contrived. However, if you heard that Rosenwinkle version, a really good hell-for-leather bebop take can definitely excite an audience. Which might be the point.
    His version was impressive. What chops to play it that fast!

User Info Menu

Well sorry to disappoint with my tune choice…Some where tired of the same type of tunes, I guess this one is a bit too much. Maybe go for the modal Milestones instead!
    lol ! That’s actually a fun idea, choose between the two milestones. I think this was a good song choice, and I share some of RP’s sentiment but in the sense that it’s not in our wheel house or emotionally charged by the tune to play with proper passion. I spent a good amount of time trying to figure this song out and that is healthy. I also really enjoy listening to it, I found a couple of great versions and it’s a solid tune.

I think the elephant in the room is the abrupt cord changes and thoughtfully navigating through bars 4-6, not everyone is going to have the right tools to deal with it. Again, very healthy to take a bite out of it and I’m glad I did.

User Info Menu

BTW the real jewel of this tune is the gorgeous melody, I really love the way the head sits on the tune.

And if you’re feeling ambitious enough you can play both Milestones at the same time!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    BTW the real jewel of this tune is the gorgeous melody, I really love the way the head sits on the tune.

And if you’re feeling ambitious enough you can play both Milestones at the same time!!
    Great version. The tunes makes sense to me, played like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Nice guitar version by Rene Thomas, his solo starts at 2:40.

Classic album! Here's an old transcription of mine for anyone keen to follow along:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 33) - Milestones (Old)-milestones1_-thomas-jpgJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 33) - Milestones (Old)-milestones2_-thomas-jpgJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 33) - Milestones (Old)-milestones3_-thomas-jpgJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 33) - Milestones (Old)-milestones4_-thomas-jpgJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 33) - Milestones (Old)-milestones5_-thomas-jpg

User Info Menu

Despite having heard this lots of times I can’t even hum the melody properly. The form of the it is counterintuitive to me. However, and I’m probably missing something, I don’t have any major issues with the harmony. I’ve only improvised with iReal as I don’t feel the form yet but I’m finding my way ok.
    All in all, a challenge and a fun tune

edit: just to be clear. I don’t really understand the harmony but when I play lines over it it doesn’t sound weird to me. Yet.
    Last edited by Peterson; 08-28-2021 at 04:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    The second one is an attempt at improvising on a tune I shouldn't play because I can't understand/feel/appreciate the harmony.
    That sounded pretty good to me!

Well sorry to disappoint with my tune choice…
    No reason to be sorry or to apologize - whoever calls whichever tune: you can't please everybody.

User Info Menu

I got to know this tune in the early 1980's.
    Then I bought the books of Miles Davis with vinyl records from Aebersold/Play-A-Long, Vol. 7: Miles Davis/.
    I have been practicing tunes from this album for several years.It is not an easy tune/old Milestones/ as some people think.
    Good Luck
    kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I got to know this tune in the early 1980's.
    Then I bought the books of Miles Davis with vinyl records from Aebersold/Play-A-Long, Vol. 7: Miles Davis/.
    I have been practicing tunes from this album for several years.It is not an easy tune/old Milestones/ as some people think.
    Good Luck
    kris
    I guess knowledge is like a balloon. The more you fill it, the larger the surface to the unknown gets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Classic album! Here's an old transcription of mine for anyone keen to follow along
    Genius! Thanks, following the notes is always great. I can't play it but I can wonder from afar :-)

User Info Menu

Well sorry to disappoint with my tune choice…Some were tired of the same type of tunes, I guess this one is a bit too much. Maybe go for the modal Milestones instead!
    No, no, it's not like that. We can't blame the tune, nor you for liking it and suggesting it. It's a challenge, that's all. If we can't do it, too bad.

It is true that it's bloody awkward and, as Peterson said, rather counter-intuitive, but that's the point and it's what one makes of it; it's not the fault of the challenge. There's always the opt-out clause. Anyway, I bet after a week we'll have gotten into it and the next one'll be tame in comparison.

I'm not soft-soaping you or trying to make you feel better (yuk), I really mean it. Played the right way it can be great. So it's up to us. No self-recrimination, please. Workmen and tools, etc.

User Info Menu

Anyway, I have the theory that the brain is infinitely adaptable. If the harmony is all over the place so can the lead be, and the ear will accept it. So - any notes that are actually in tune with the chord are entirely coincidental :-)

User Info Menu

no comment!!!
    Last edited by kris; 08-28-2021 at 08:25 AM. Reason: mistake

User Info Menu

I thought I could get some inspiration by googling ‘milestones (old)’ but I’m not sure it’s going to help much.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 33) - Milestones (Old)-7d649b1e-d765-4a19-8b33-d2d925b606b5-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I thought I could get some inspiration by googling ‘milestones (old)’ but I’m not sure it’s going to help much.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 33) - Milestones (Old)-7d649b1e-d765-4a19-8b33-d2d925b606b5-jpeg
    This may help, but not everyone.

User Info Menu

Anyway, I have the theory that the brain is infinitely adaptable. If the harmony is all over the place so can the lead be, and the ear will accept it. So - any notes that are actually in tune with the chord are entirely coincidental :-)

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day