Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 161

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 32) - In a Mellow Tone-1629403422484-jpg

This week's tune courtesy of Triple_Jazz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This week's tune courtesy of Triple_Jazz
    Looks like he fooled us. Just as well, I thought he'd lost his mind :-)

User Info Menu

When I think of what jazz is or if someone asks me what it is I always think of two individuals; Duke and Monk. I think of the incredible swing and beautiful harmonic movements. I get caught up in the soul and funky stuff because I love Scofield and Charlie Hunter types, but it all comes back to the real nitty gritty swing.

I have a lot of trouble playing Duke and Monk songs because the feel is unnatural to me. I picked this one because I’ve been battling it for at least two years. I leave and then come back to it. I decided to come back to it this week. I did a few takes today and they are god awful so sorry for not putting something up on the first day. I’m going to shed this a bit then try and present something decent.

User Info Menu

This is a great choice. It's not as frequently heard as other Ellington tunes, but it is an important part of the Ellington canon. The changes are not especially hard, but they do punish inattention or carelessness.

There is a really nice track of Kenny Burrell playing this live:

User Info Menu

I think it's a brilliant tune for soloing

How to play outside without really trying :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone;[URL="tel:1141294"
    1141294[/URL]]This is a great choice. It's not as frequently heard as other Ellington tunes, but it is an important part of the Ellington canon. The changes are not especially hard, but they do punish inattention or carelessness.

There is a really nice track of Kenny Burrell playing this live:

A favorite version for sure! Some other great ones are:

User Info Menu

Great choice TJ and actually the one that I was talking about in the discussion we had recently. Lots of dom7 chords so anybody complaining about it leaning towards blues phrases?

User Info Menu

I would like to play like they dance !!!

User Info Menu

This is my Tele version of In A Mellow Tone.This time I focused on swing and phrasing.
    Best
    kris
    Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Great choice TJ and actually the one that I was talking about in the discussion we had recently. Lots of dom7 chords so anybody complaining about it leaning towards blues phrases?
    Uh... that would be me. Blues phrases as a musical device are great, but as a crutch, which is how we often use them, they are an impediment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Uh... that would be me. Blues phrases as a musical device are great, but as a crutch, which is how we often use them, they are an impediment.
    Do we use them as crutches?
    One other question (for all of you to answer if you like): when does a "blues phrase" become a "jazz phrase" ?*

*Disclaimer: not trying to start a heated discussion.

User Info Menu

Do we use them as crutches?
    One other question (for all of you to answer if you like): when does a "blues phrase" become a "jazz phrase" ?*

*Disclaimer: not trying to start a heated discussion.
    I think we all lean on stuff that's easy and falls naturally under our fingers, and blues phrases, pentatonic patterns, etc. fall into that category. It's our fingering playing, not our melodic sense. It's the guitar driving the music, rather than the music coming to expression on the guitar.

I can't really answer the last question. It's all about context.

User Info Menu

One well-known guitar teacher at the Berklee College of Music told me that if you can't play primitive three-chord blues you'll have trouble playing jazz.I asked him to show me what's going on on the guitar.He was playing BB.King phrases for me with great blues feeling.He played a Gibson / L5 / with hard tension strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I think we all lean on stuff that's easy and falls naturally under our fingers
    Yes - we do that and I don't think there's anything wrong with using comfortable fingerings, the masters seem to have been doing exactly that. In search for melodies that are not easy on the guitar we can go to horn lines. As soon as you have practiced them well enough they will be rather easy as well....

User Info Menu

Yes - we do that and I don't think there's anything wrong with using comfortable fingerings, the masters seem to have been doing exactly that. In search for melodies that are not easy on the guitar we can go to horn lines. As soon as you have practiced them well enough they will be rather easy as well....
    Tommo is right.
    Simply-It's just learning jazz language.

User Info Menu

I’d say blues over jazz changes is a wonderful flavor and it s a jazz lick. The great thing about this tune is you can play a ton of blues on it or you can play no blues licks and it will sound great, it’ll just be served as different dishes of the same thing like fried chicken vs. grilled chicken.

User Info Menu

I'm waiting with bated breath for the first clip to listen to - anybody?

User Info Menu

Maybe tomorrow, no time to play today...

Re: blues

Once you accept that blues is an integral and necessary part of jazz, you can forget about worrying if a blues lick is a crutch or not.

User Info Menu

Blues sounds in jazz a crutch? What nonsense is that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Re: blues

Once you accept that blues is an integral and necessary part of jazz, you can forget about worrying if a blues lick is a crutch or not.
    Amen Brother Jeff - nothing more to add...

User Info Menu

Amen Brother Jeff - nothing more to add...
    Yes...
    Tommo +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Blues sounds in jazz a crutch? What nonsense is that?
    Ragman,
    You mainly play with three fingers / left hand /.Blues guitarists play similarly.

User Info Menu

OK...I always suggest playing with a feel of the blues .
    This is blues over In A Mellow Tone:
    Box

User Info Menu

Threw this together today! Didn't think about it too much, just trying to play the tune and keeping it mellow.

User Info Menu

I think I like this song so much because it eludes me. Here’s a take with Mr. Sunnybass. Look forward to hearing yours!