The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 103

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 31) - Road Song-1628792472920-jpg

John A has picked a guitar driven classic. Lots of good tracks out there too. Sharpen your thumbs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK folks, I'm in the throes of having my apartment painted this week, and it's going to be difficult to find the time and space to record, so I cheated a little and did my recording last weekend. I actually did a whole bunch of takes, not because I was seeking perfection or anything like that, but just because I had a lot of fun playing with this particular backing track. I ultimately tossed most of them due to flubbs and/or overall meh-ness, and held on to three that I thought were OK on grounds of fun/energy (though not entirely flub-free). Here's the first. I may post the others later (or do some more, if time and painting permit).

Most of the time, I record into my computer using GarageBand's amp models, which sound very realistic, and sync that up with video recorded separately. That let's me get a good audio mix, but takes longer and can get a little complicated. This time around I just played the backing track through a bluetooth speaker, the guitar through my Roland MicroCube, mixed them in the air, and captured audio and video on my phone. Not my favorite sound (especially the guitar sound because the phone exaggerates the guitar's acoustic sound), but a lot simpler, which makes it easier to just play.

Also, sometimes I play the melody and sometimes I don't, but Road Song is just so dang fun to do in octaves that I can't resist.
    Last edited by John A.; 08-12-2021 at 04:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Sharpen your thumbs
    Oy vey

User Info Menu

John, I like the sound a lot actually...its very present, and I'm not getting too much acoustic at all!

Playing sounds great, you nail ghe head, get at some great bluesy ideas without ever getting noodly.

Its funny, ive played this tune, but I never realized how brisk Wes' tempo was...need some time to get the head up to speed, so here's a last A and a chorus...I actually took two, but I literally knocked the phone over during the second, so I trimmed it. Serves me right for overplaying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Saumarez
    That was fun!

We made it to Twin Falls, turned around and went to Mama's for dinner. Saw one near accident and one couple arguing on the side of the road. That was far enough

User Info Menu

That was Hawaii? Looked just like the South of England on a sunny day, I jest not. But you probably wouldn't get such brightly coloured cars like that, that was different.

Of course, in Hana itself you get palm trees and aquamarine water bays... You would have to go elsewhere for that. Sea World, probably :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Oy vey
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    John, I like the sound a lot actually...its very present, and I'm not getting too much acoustic at all!

Playing sounds great, you nail ghe head, get at some great bluesy ideas without ever getting noodly.

Its funny, ive played this tune, but I never realized how brisk Wes' tempo was...need some time to get the head up to speed, so here's a last A and a chorus...I actually took two, but I literally knocked the phone over during the second, so I trimmed it. Serves me right for overplaying.

I don't think it's a bad sound, but in the room it sounds quite a bit better, especially on the high strings.

So in general, I haven't played this a whole lot. For some reason I can't get people to go along with it at sessions. But recently I've been doing a 2 guitars and bass thing, and these guys are into it. So I've played it, which put me in the mood to call it here. I've been practicing the head a bit. I had been playing the A section further up the neck, and it was never smoothe. Finally figured out that it works better lower down, and now it's like buttah (except when it's not ...).

That's too funny -- the one time you do decide to go for it the recording gods shut you right down. But what we got sounds really good.

That was a lot of fun. Good to hear you posting.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of you guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

Also, sometimes I play the melody and sometimes I don't, but Road Song is just so dang fun to do in octaves that I can't resist.
    That was excellent John - worth listening to several times. Agree with Jeff - sound of your recording is fine!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Top as always Jeff. That Heritage sounds superb!

Welcome!

I've never practiced much octave playing so this is the time to do some but I may not be ready when doing my take.

The 'Road to Hana' has notoriety. Certainly not much like in the US (that I know of). Narrow, twisty roads, and of course breath-taking scenery. Post-covid has seen a surge in anti-tourist sentiment. Apparently, parking and traffic has become a problem and locals are disgruntled. I sympathize to a degree, but feelings are partly to do with NIMBY-ism.

That was Hawaii? Looked just like the South of England on a sunny day, I jest not. But you probably wouldn't get such brightly coloured cars like that, that was different.

Of course, in Hana itself you get palm trees and aquamarine water bays... You would have to go elsewhere for that. Sea World, probably :-)
    The crappy video quality doesn't do it justice. The scenery is quite out of this world, and not much like Dorset, and thankfully, nothing like Seaworld. Having said that, there are other parts of Hawaii that really do remind me of the rolling pastures and country lanes of Old Blightly. If you're talking green hues, Hawaii still wins hands down. It's more vibrant and the cane grass can appear almost florescent. But then we're in the sub-tropics here so we have rain forests.

User Info Menu

Solid choice from John. Another tune I’ve never played but had a lot of fun doing. I really should have waited until the weekend and record with my arch top for the real Wes tone but in jam session fashion went to work with what I had!

User Info Menu

Here's my take!

User Info Menu

OK folks, I'm in the throes of having my apartment painted this week, and it's going to be difficult to find the time and space to record, so I cheated a little and did my recording last weekend. I actually did a whole bunch of takes, not because I was seeking perfection or anything like that, but just because I had a lot of fun playing with this particular backing track. I ultimately tossed most of them due to flubbs and/or overall meh-ness, and held on to three that I thought were OK on grounds of fun/energy (though not entirely flub-free). Here's the first. I may post the others later (or do some more, if time and painting permit).

Most of the time, I record into my computer using GarageBand's amp models, which sound very realistic, and sync that up with video recorded separately. That let's me get a good audio mix, but takes longer and can get a little complicated. This time around I just played the backing track through a bluetooth speaker, the guitar through my Roland MicroCube, mixed them in the air, and captured audio and video on my phone. Not my favorite sound (especially the guitar sound because the phone exaggerates the guitar's acoustic sound), but a lot simpler, which makes it easier to just play.

I think it sounds great. Sometimes hard to squeeze a guitar into a pristinely mastered backing track. To my ear, this sounds like you’re in the room with the other musicians. Nice playing, too, as always.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Solid choice from John. Another tune I’ve never played but had a lot of fun doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Here's my take!
    Very nice takes TJ and RS!

Doobie doobie bah-doo, doobie doobie doo... :-)
    Your style seems to fit perfectly here, rags!

User Info Menu

Doobie doobie bah-doo, doobie doobie doo... :-)

Should have known someone would use OMG for the title! Nice take

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz

Should have known someone would use OMG for the title! Nice take
    What does OGD stand for, anyways?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    What does OGD stand for, anyways?
    Supposedly, organ guitar drums.

User Info Menu

Supposedly, organ guitar drums.
    I’m not the brightest guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr;[URL="tel:1140528"
    1140528[/URL]]I’m not the brightest guy.
    The brightest bulb is always the first to burn out

User Info Menu

So... I never played this song before, but I'd fooled around with some of the melody phrases and thought I could wing it. Turns out, maybe 75% I could wing, a few things I need to work on. Looking at the RB6 lead sheet, I think measures 5-8 and the little transition in the middle of the bridge need attention. Maybe something other than blues cliches would help, too. But in the spirit of this group, this is truly raw, right off the chopping block. The second or third time in my life I've played the tune.

Observations and advice are welcome.

Last edited by lawson-stone; 08-15-2021 at 08:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So... I never played this song before, but I'd fooled around with some of the melody phrases and thought I could wing it. Turns out, maybe 75% I could wing, a few things I need to work on. Looking at the RB6 lead sheet, I think measures 5-8 and the little transition in the middle of the bridge need attention. Maybe something other than blues cliches would help, too. But in the spirit of this group, this is truly raw, right of the chopping block. The second or third time in my life I've played the tune.

A strong showing, Lawson. I know you were working with some folks' suggestions on improving your time earlier in the summer. Having not heard any of your recordings for the past several weeks, I definitely hear improvement in your phrasing, timing, and overall feel. Impressive work, keep it up.
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 08-14-2021 at 10:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Gonna try to come back to this one in a few days. Spent way too much time tonight messing with a custom backing track, which I ultimately scrapped for this(sort of humdrum) Aebersold track.

Gear and recording footnote: New recording technique tonight—I picked up one of those newfangled Quilter Superblock US heads and recorded direct from the amp's line out. It's not a terrible amp, but also not great. Like every other Quilter amp I have auditioned, I just can't make peace with the strident upper midrange they all seem to have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So... I never played this song before, but I'd fooled around with some of the melody phrases and thought I could wing it. Turns out, maybe 75% I could wing, a few things I need to work on. Looking at the RB6 lead sheet, I think measures 5-8 and the little transition in the middle of the bridge need attention. Maybe something other than blues cliches would help, too. But in the spirit of this group, this is truly raw, right of the chopping block. The second or third time in my life I've played the tune.

<span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Gonna try to come back to this one in a few days. Spent way too much time tonight messing with a custom backing track, which I ultimately scrapped for this(sort of humdrum) Aebersold track.

Gear and recording footnote: New recording technique tonight—I picked up one of those newfangled Quilter Superblock US heads and recorded direct from the amp's line out. It's not a terrible amp, but also not great. Like every other Quilter amp I have auditioned, I just can't make peace with the strident upper midrange they all seem to have.
    Fine takes both of you! Lawson: as for measures 5 - 8: Wes plays straight Gm there.
    Last edited by TOMMO; 08-15-2021 at 05:45 AM.