Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 90
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    TOMMO has chosen this week's hard bop classic. Another pretty easy form...jump in, both feet.

    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 30) - Sister Sadie-1628199412710-jpg

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I don't think I've ever actually met anyone called Sadie...

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I don't think I know what blues or jazz is any more.


  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Here we go. Had to rock out on this one, too. Probably shouldn't have, but the fable of the frog and scorpion and all that.


  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Check out Rodney Jones’s guitar solo in the Maceo Parker version, one of the best solos I’ve ever heard!

    Starts around 2m37s:


  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Check out Rodney Jones’s guitar solo in the Maceo Parker version, one of the best solos I’ve ever heard!

    Starts around 2m37s:

    I'm a fan of Rodney's. I've transcribed him a bit and it always seems like he's playing on a set of carefully chosen alternate changes. I've generally found his lines to be pretty straightforward -- but only when you figure out the changes in his mind.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    I play this song quite often and did a recording of it while demonstrating my new DIY ES-330 (unfortunately I don’t follow the form in the solo):



    And also to demonstrate my DIY Telecaster (here I do follow the form in the solo and I play a cool wholetone scale after the final G7b5 chord, haha):


  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    TOMMO has chosen this week's hard bop classic. Another pretty easy form...jump in, both feet.
    Easy form - yes but it's not that easy to not slip into noodling mode when playing over 16 bars of a static dominant 7 chord....

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't think I know what blues or jazz is any more.
    There's such a large area of overlap between blues and jazz and I seem to tend towards those tunes. Nice swinging take!


    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here we go. Had to rock out on this one, too. Probably shouldn't have, but the fable of the frog and scorpion and all that.
    Rockin' indeed and taking lots of chances too. Love your fearless aproach - guitar sounds great as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I play this song quite often and did a recording of it while demonstrating my new DIY ES-330 (unfortunately I don’t follow the form in the solo):



    And also to demonstrate my DIY Telecaster (here I do follow the form in the solo and I play a cool wholetone scale after the final G7b5 chord, haha):
    Nice laid back takes, Jay!

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    That Sadie is one racy nun

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That Sadie is one racy nun
    Sexy Sadie - she's the latest and the greatest of them all.... ;-)

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Easy form - yes but it's not that easy to not slip into noodling mode when playing over 16 bars of a static dominant 7 chord....
    Try replacing the static G7 with the A-part of a rhythm change form (in G of course), works great in this song!

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Nice laid back takes, Jay!
    Thanks Tommo!

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Try replacing the static G7 with the A-part of a rhythm change form (in G of course), works great in this song!



    Thanks Tommo!
    Can be heard here: Sister Sadie - song by Horace Silver, Man Overboard Quintet | Spotify

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Cool version - thanks!

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I've got that idea on a sheet. Haven't tried it. Thought it was cheating!

    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 30) - Sister Sadie-sis-sadie-2-jpg

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Here's mine - first take:



  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Joe Pass did this one on and off his whole career.

    Here's really early, when he was with Les McCann



    And near the end of his life! One of my favorite albums of his:


  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Some chords added

    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 30) - Sister Sadie-sister_sadie-1-jpg

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Tommo, that was a good one!

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Tommo, that was a good one!
    Thank you!

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I've got that idea on a sheet. Haven't tried it. Thought it was cheating!

    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 30) - Sister Sadie-sis-sadie-2-jpg
    sheeting!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Ok, ill throw one in. Now to listen to everybody else's.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ok, ill throw one in. Now to listen to everybody else's.
    Great Jeff! I'll have to try to steal some of that!

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Here's mine - first take:


    Great take, Tommo. Loved the bit right around 2:20 or so.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ok, ill throw one in. Now to listen to everybody else's.
    Is that a side slip at the beginning—maybe second or third phrase that sounds a bit out then resolves down? I’ve never been able to make that sound good. Any suggestions?

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    First listens...

    TOMMO, great pick for you, and loved the way you played to what that track was giving you. Uptown. Nice!

    Littlejay, enjoyed both takes and great to have you aboard. Nice laid back feel and phrasing, great time.

    John A, definitely shades of Bodhisattva, and that is never, never a bad thing.

    Rag, always making it your own. Some of the bluesy-ist playing ive heard from you...I like that.