The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 74

User Info Menu

Great example of a tune that you can treat as easily or complex as you want. Some great tracks available too. No lurking allowed this week! Jump in.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 29) - Red Clay-1627564194473-jpg

I'll start us off...playing almost all C minor here, much of it pentatonic.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like I'd be able to handle it....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Great example of a tune that you can treat as easily or complex as you want. Some great tracks available too. No lurking allowed this week! Jump in.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 29) - Red Clay-1627564194473-jpg

I'll start us off...playing almost all C minor here, much of it pentatonic.

Sorry, I'm not into the funk-ish style. I'll listen to you guys wail away on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Sorry, I'm not into the funk-ish style. I'll listen to you guys wail away on it.
    James Brown ain’t the only man can get funky.

User Info Menu

Well, I wasn't going to do endless bars of Cm pentadoodah... but there's a little solo bit in the middle that repeats, much like the other one. Here we go, sedate, vaguely melodic...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Wouldn't mind to hear a bit more of that (with the guitar a bit louder as well...).

User Info Menu

I've decided I like this tune. This kid's really good, great singer. Touch of the Amy Whitehouse's there.

By the way, the girl (actually older than she looks) is not Charlotte dos Santos but a Liz Kelly. Charlotte dos Santos is a Brazilian artist who also does Red Clay. And it might say 'Live at the Rehearsal Room' but I get the horrible feeling there's no one actually there at all :-)

Last edited by ragman1; 08-04-2021 at 08:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Peterson, you're sounding good, man! Nice way to take your time and build something.

Rag, I liked it. I've been meaning to ask you, how do you record your "lead" guitar, do you use an external mic? It's such an identifiable sound to me now, id recognize your playing/tone anywhere.

User Info Menu

I just record it straight into the computer using Audacity, then put reverb on it. The recording settings on the computer are set to get rid of the 'watery' sound that usually happens unless it's reset. Notalottapeopleknowthat.

The backings are done the same way but minus the reverb. I usually add some bass too or it's a bit thin.

It's not great but it'll do for what I need. Not exactly Abbey Road :-)

(My strings are deliberately quite old so they don't sound too tangy).

User Info Menu

Does audacity allow for video, too?

I feel like my phone is great for picking up electric guitar and just plain awful for recording acoustic guitar.

User Info Menu

No, it's just an audio recorder/editor. I don't know how you've been doing it till now but if you play the backing on the computer (any file, don't need Audacity) the phone will pick up the lead whether it's acoustic or from an amp.

But that's too obvious, you probably don't mean that. I think you mean you want to improve the sound of the acoustic. It may mean posting audio files rather than videos.

You can import a backing track into Audacity and record over it (Audacity allows for multi-dubbing) then post the result. There is a tutorial somewhere about recording using an audio interface. Also with external microphones/amps, etc.

(You'll probably just go back to what you're doing now!)

User Info Menu

New here just registered today

User Info Menu

it is not good recording...sorry
    bass is not clear-the bass rumbles and upsets...!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    it is not good recording...sorry
    bass is not clear-the bass rumbles and upsets...!!!
    No sniping from the cheap seats

User Info Menu

I think I’m getting better at settling down and making something of my jam. It helps to have an outlet like this with feedback to really catch your mistakes and shortcomings.

User Info Menu

For this one I made my own backing track. Drum genius with guitar doing bass through an octaver(tracking was not optimal...) and a rhythm gtr.
    I tried to combine bluesy inside playing with outside stuff I'm working on.
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 07-30-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Re-loaded video with improved audio

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    No sniping from the cheap seats
    Every musician hears differently.
    Best
    kris
    ps.
    I bought new studio monitors Mackie CR4-XBT for my computer - they work perfectly.
    I am also critical of my previous recordings.I care about good quality recordings.
    Last edited by kris; 07-31-2021 at 01:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I think I’m getting better at settling down and making something of my jam. It helps to have an outlet like this with feedback to really catch your mistakes and shortcomings.

Nice!
    Great musical potential.
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz

Great energy and you kept it up throughout. After I heard this I scrapped the video I had just done. I'm going to try it more your way.

User Info Menu

This 99-cent Aebersold track was pretty dynamic and provided some opportunity for a canned sort of interplay with the musicians on the recording. I was having so much fun with it that that I decided to post my most of my entire first take rather than pick a few consecutive choruses. Warts and all are included, but I wanted to try to develop a full solo over the full length of the track. Hope it's not a total snoozefest. (I kind of petered out at the end, so I did cut some out.)

Last edited by wzpgsr; 07-31-2021 at 02:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Mr. B.: That was heavy. You were feeling it. (You were feeling it, right?)

Rag: I like your style. Thought I caught some intentionally “outside” phrases here and there in the first take.

Peterson: A solid take. Nylon sounds good over that backing track.

Triple: In the Benson camp. That’s where my head goes with this tune, too. I find my fingers aren’t as fast as my ears unfortunately.

Ronstuff: Man, I am so impressed with your attention to dynamics—you’re never too quiet or too loud, but yet you’re never static, either…that’s something I am trying to develop more in my own playing, especially when it comes to recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    This 99-cent Aebersold track was pretty dynamic and provided some opportunity for a canned sort of interplay with the musicians on the recording. I was having so much fun with it that that I decided to post my most of my entire first take rather than pick a few consecutive choruses. Warts and all are included, but I wanted to try to develop a full solo over the full length of the track. Hope it's not a total snoozefest. (I kind of petered out at the end, so I did cut some out.)

Lots of interesting melodic and rhythmic ideas.Very nice!
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

wzpgsr -

Great stuff. I like all this, you see, because there's got to be some throwing oneself into it otherwise it do get teejus for both player and listener. No snoozefest at all.

intentionally “outside” phrases
    Always :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    For this one I made my own backing track. Drum genius with guitar doing bass through an octaver(tracking was not optimal...) and a rhythm gtr.
    I tried to combine bluesy inside playing with outside stuff I'm working on.
    Very nice stuff .Great sounding guitar.Exelent mix.
    kris