Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 74
  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Solo part/chords/ similar to 'Sunny'.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #27

    User Info Menu

    I've taken down that other version because the backing wasn't funk, sounded more like reggae... This one's better. Maybe.

    I don't really like these endless looping progressions. As wzpgsr (what does that stand for?) said, it can become a snoozefest for the player, not that his version did. But I'm not much good at it anyway :-)


  4. #28

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by kris;[URL="tel:1137667"
    1137667[/URL]]Solo part/chords/ similar to 'Sunny'.
    I definitely went with the Pat Martino Sunny approach with my take!
    Last edited by Triple_Jazz; 07-31-2021 at 09:13 AM.

  5. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff;[URL="tel:1137585"
    1137585[/URL]]For this one I made my own backing track. Drum genius with guitar doing bass through an octaver(tracking was not optimal...) and a rhythm gtr.
    I tried to combine bluesy inside playing with outside stuff I'm working on.
    Ron, that tone!!! Beautiful take, loved the blues in and out playing especially at 1:10

    WZPGSR your take kept me there, no snooze fest. You have a deep arsenal of great lines. You’ll be cruising around and then drop a massive sophisticated line and I love that (always want to steal)!

    Pererson, it’s great getting to hear more of you! I look forward to getting to know your style like the other guys.

    Rag I listened to the first cut, will be checking out the other cuts and no doubt will be enjoying a smooth sail on the hammock this afternoon with a beverage and your brand of blues.

    Coach (Mr. B) always sounding great!

  6. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I definitely went with the Pat Martino Sunny approach with my take!
    I knew it was Sunny but comparisons are odious :-)

    (Only one vid and one audio. Hardly worth a hammock. Unless you have to lie down afterwards )

  7. #31

    User Info Menu

    Had a chunk of time this afternoon and was able to knock this out ... I haven't played this one in ages. Always fun to get funky, and I couldn't resist doing a full take rather than a quick hit on the solo changes. I did a few for kicks. This came closest to a keeper.



  8. #32

    User Info Menu

    Did some listening, too, this afternoon.

    Jeff: Cool one. I like the ending where you throw in a little bit of chromaticism and break out of the pentatonics. We gotta get you to go a little longer and then do the Steely Dan fadeout when you start getting real interesting.

    Ragman: the first one (video) didn't really sound like Red Clay to me. Obviously, it's a big challenges to nail a funk/fusion vibe with your set up. On the second one (audio only), you came a lot closer, and I think the harmony kind of did the trick there (the altered/quartal stuff).

    Peterson: Nice. Even though it's pretty laid back and quiet, it still conveys the Red Clay vibe. It'd be nice to hear you go a little longer, and break out into some streams of 1/8 notes for contrast, but the motifs and note choices are right on.

    TriplleSec: Yeah, that one cooked. Definitely picked up on the Pat Martino Sunny vibe there, as well as the thing he does with repeating a phrase over a chorus (sometimes more), but varying it slightly and moving it around. There were few spots where I was really hoping you'd stretch the phrase out longer and go a little deeper into the Martino minor/altered bag, but overall it still sounded great, and the feel and time were right on.

    Ron Stuff: Sounds cool. The tone was great -- love that edge of break-up sound with your Guild. There's a bit at around 1:05 where you really started to burn. I like the backing track, too.

    Wzpgsr: Lots of great ideas there. You also did a particularly good job of starting an idea, building it, and then moving on to the next one, which gave it a sense of being several different sections. So not snoozefest at all, but kind of like the late Grant Green funky stuff that goes on for a long time and keeps a mood going.

    I think that's everybody.
    Last edited by John A.; 07-31-2021 at 10:59 PM.

  9. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.

    Ragman: the first one (video) didn't really sound like Red Clay to me. Obviously, it's a big challenges to nail a funk/fusion vibe with your set up. On the second one (audio only), you came a lot closer, and I think the harmony kind of did the trick there (the altered/quartal stuff).
    Yes, but did you like the aeroplane?

  10. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Yes, but did you like the aeroplane?
    It went right over my head.

  11. #35

    User Info Menu


  12. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar;[URL="tel:1137894"
    1137894[/URL]]
    Cool take, I’d say after about a minute your flow settles in and there’s a nice pace to your rhythm that felt good to me

    John your take was different! Had a Van Halen vibe to me. Not my particular taste but some cool ideas going.

  13. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Cool take, I’d say after about a minute your flow settles in and there’s a nice pace to your rhythm that felt good to me

    John your take was different! Had a Van Halen vibe to me. Not my particular taste but some cool ideas going.
    Note to self: when you try to sound like Wayne Krantz it comes out like Eddie Van Halen. Back to the drawing board.

  14. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Note to self: when you try to sound like Wayne Krantz it comes out like Eddie Van Halen. Back to the drawing board.
    Haha definitely sounded more Krantz to me

  15. #39

    User Info Menu

    Aeroplane?I like it:

  16. #40

    User Info Menu

    A couple of stray thoughts.

    To me, part of this tune is Sunny. The other part is the ascending sus chords in whole tones -- and that's the part that's challenging.

    Kudos to those who, like John A, played both parts. John A's take combined passion and melodicism. I'm biased. It's kind of close to what I'm trying to sound like.
    John A made the tune sound pretty good. In the past, I haven't cared for this tune much, probably because I couldn't play it very well.

  17. #41

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.;[URL="tel:1138062"
    1138062[/URL]]Note to self: when you try to sound like Wayne Krantz it comes out like Eddie Van Halen. Back to the drawing board.
    FWIW I wasn’t using Van Halen vibe as a pejorative. I am not familiar with Krantz and upon first listen (after reading your take was modeled on him) it had that 80’s metal fusion vibe that I referred to as Van Halen. I’m sure there are certain differences but to my ear it’s all similar very much in the sense that someone may think Phish sounds like the Grateful Dead. To the right ear it sounds ludicrous but it’s cited time and time again.

  18. #42

    User Info Menu

    Nice takes, all!

    Triple, I really envy your picking...great articulation, notes snap crackle and pop like firecrackers. Nice take.

    Ronstuff, great take as usual...bluesy, it breathes, great tone...great stuff.

    John, if thats what Krantz sounds like I gotta check him out. I liked the whole thing, but especially the long ascending intervallic bit just before 2 minutes.

    Rp, you definitely settle in once it gets to the solo changes...nothing to feel bad about...they didn't solo over the sus chords on the original either. Always appreciate your tasteful approach and go for it attitude, as I'm sure this tune isn't your usual cup of tea!

  19. #43

    User Info Menu

    Rpjazzguitar: Thanks a very much. I learn something from everything you write and everything you play. Regarding playing the whole tune, in general I prefer to, but I think in this case it's almost necessary. The solo changes really aren't Sunny. Sunny has sections and an ending. The repeating 4 bars of Red Clay don't really, and it doesn't feel like a chorus when I play just that figure some number of times. Most of you guys pulled it off, but it just felt incomplete to me when I tried it.

    Tripps: I didn't take it as pejorative at all. I like VH (though I don't hear anything of him in myself). It was more a matter of finding amusement in the lesson that what one intends is not necessarily what one achieves. I don't really try to sound like Wayne Krantz, btw. He is so far beyond me rhythmically and in terms of his capacity for abstraction and freedom that I wouldn't dare compare, but I maybe have stolen a lick here and there. Check this out to get sense of his less metal-ish side:


  20. #44

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nice takes, all!

    Triple, I really envy your picking...great articulation, notes snap crackle and pop like firecrackers. Nice take.

    Ronstuff, great take as usual...bluesy, it breathes, great tone...great stuff.

    John, if thats what Krantz sounds like I gotta check him out. I liked the whole thing, but especially the long ascending intervallic bit just before 2 minutes.

    Rp, you definitely settle in once it gets to the solo changes...nothing to feel bad about...they didn't solo over the sus chords on the original either. Always appreciate your tasteful approach and go for it attitude, as I'm sure this tune isn't your usual cup of tea!
    Whaaa??? Don’t know Krantz? But he wrote the theme for JGO

  21. #45

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Rpjazzguitar: Thanks a very much. I learn something from everything you write and everything you play. Regarding playing the whole tune, in general I prefer to, but I think in this case it's almost necessary. The solo changes really aren't Sunny. Sunny has sections and an ending. The repeating 4 bars of Red Clay don't really, and it doesn't feel like a chorus when I play just that figure some number of times. Most of you guys pulled it off, but it just felt incomplete to me when I tried it.

    Tripps: I didn't take it as pejorative at all. I like VH (though I don't hear anything of him in myself). It was more a matter of finding amusement in the lesson that what one intends is not necessarily what one achieves. I don't really try to sound like Wayne Krantz, btw. He is so far beyond me rhythmically and in terms of his capacity for abstraction and freedom that I wouldn't dare compare, but I maybe have stolen a lick here and there. Check this out to get sense of his less metal-ish side:

    I’ve seen him live twice and both occasions he went clank, clang and splodoink for two hours and it was immense. Not a single note in sight haha…. He’s just got more abstract if anything, but it always grooves so har…

  22. #46

    User Info Menu

    I like very much Wayne Krantz music...:-)

  23. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Rpjazzguitar: Thanks a very much. I learn something from everything you write and everything you play. Regarding playing the whole tune, in general I prefer to, but I think in this case it's almost necessary. The solo changes really aren't Sunny. Sunny has sections and an ending. The repeating 4 bars of Red Clay don't really, and it doesn't feel like a chorus when I play just that figure some number of times. Most of you guys pulled it off, but it just felt incomplete to me when I tried it.

    Tripps: I didn't take it as pejorative at all. I like VH (though I don't hear anything of him in myself). It was more a matter of finding amusement in the lesson that what one intends is not necessarily what one achieves. I don't really try to sound like Wayne Krantz, btw. He is so far beyond me rhythmically and in terms of his capacity for abstraction and freedom that I wouldn't dare compare, but I maybe have stolen a lick here and there. Check this out to get sense of his less metal-ish side:
    Sunny-I mean first four bars of Sunny...
    Cm7/Bbm7 Eb7/Abmaj7/Dm7b5 G7
    Last edited by kris; 08-03-2021 at 07:09 AM.

  24. #48

    User Info Menu


  25. #49

    User Info Menu

    I like Wayne's stuff too :-)

    brilliantly rhythmic

  26. #50

    User Info Menu