The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hey,

I know a while back there were some quite active study groups on the Conti Ticket to Improv courses. Does anyone know if they are numbered by difficulty, like do the lines get progressively harder or the tunes have more complex harmony or is it simply a numbering system?

Cheers in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have not done them but I believe Robert says they're all the same level. In other words, you could complete 4, then 3, 2, 1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neonshaker
    Hey,

I know a while back there were some quite active study groups on the Conti Ticket to Improv courses. Does anyone know if they are numbered by difficulty, like do the lines get progressively harder or the tunes have more complex harmony or is it simply a numbering system?

Cheers in advance.
    I went through most of them, and they are not progressive in difficulty from volume to volume. You could pick a volume based on the tunes in it, for example, and be fine.

Excellent. Thanks all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neonshaker
    Excellent. Thanks all.
    Good luck on your Conti Ticket To Improv journey. The study group I participated in here was a fun and useful musical experience. The process of learning solos in small chunks and then repurposing the phrases in other tunes was incredibly helpful. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Good luck on your Conti Ticket To Improv journey. The study group I participated in here was a fun and useful musical experience. The process of learning solos in small chunks and then repurposing the phrases in other tunes was incredibly helpful. Cheers.
    Hey thanks. I've decided to quit my lessons and go all in on the Conti stuff. A little bit of ticket to Improv, a little bit of the chord melody arrangements, a bit of the comping expo then when I'm ready I'll dig back in on the Formula and Jazz lines.

User Info Menu

I think Conti is great. But, I assume you know that his books take an “every note all the time” approach. Having spoken to him in person I can tell you that he doesn’t expect you to play like that.

His philosophy is you can, and should, leave space open but you can’t put more notes in if you haven’t learned how. So he teaches a machine gun approach so that when you pull the trigger the firepower is there.

I only mention that because I don’t think it’s explicit in the materials and I have seen criticism on this board of the material being too busy and not musical enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,

Yeah I knew that. I mentioned a while back when I first found his stuff that I didn't think I was ever going to be the kind of player that plays a chord on every note. It's too dense and clunky for me and I want to hear some notes ringing out on their own.

I've put together a little version of his Amazing Grace chord melody that I'm really happy with and in my opinion there are parts in that just need some single notes playing rather than a chord.

What's your experience with the Conti stuff? I'm DMing everyone asking for their opinions and experiences but I think I might be better just starting a separate thread to benefit from the wealth of everyone's experiences.

User Info Menu

I participated in one of the study group. A song I wrote ended up on Conti's web site.

User Info Menu

I'm currently working on Conti's Chord Melody Assembly Line and Jazz Lines. They're all good stuff!

User Info Menu

Here’s the link to the collection of Robert Conti DVDs (plus LOADS of other jazz guitar instruction items) which I am currently selling for just £9.95 each:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/geetaristick