Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 79
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Posting early today because its my birthday and I will not be around much. I promise to catch up on some Grooveyard posts this weekend.

    For this tune, go as far as you want...the head is EXTREMELY fun, and sits pretty good on guitar, but its long...what I really want to hear is y'all on the solo section...uptempo, latin feel...we haven't done anything like this.

    Have fun.

    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 28) - Spain-1626921193335-jpg

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Happy Birthday Jeff - have a good one!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 28) - Spain-happy-gif
    I recorded Spain on my first album in 1983.
    Best
    Kris
    Last edited by kris; 07-23-2021 at 11:15 AM.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Well, we don't need to panic. Here's the solo chords so off we go :-)



    And Happy Birthday, Jeff

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    I don't understand stuff like this, it's just a sound that washes over me. There's a nice bit of the C de A at the start then... The lead sheet I saw said solos had a Samba rhythm. I didn't know Samba was Spanish. More Portuguese, I thought, as in Bossa. In fact the whole thing sounds more like a Rio carnival than anything Spanish...

    Anyway, here's something vaguely Spanishy with a Samba back. And not fast, naturally, coz I don't. If the chords were more logical I could even make it beautiful


  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Sounds like samba to me. I'm not aware of any non-Brazilian or non-Brazilian-major-influenced style that sounds like that.

    The Montreaux live version sounds like funk.

    The original album version is closer to samba. Airto (drums) and Flora (vocal) are on that track. Much of Stanley Clarke's bass part is typical of samba, which can be quarter notes in 2/4 with the right accenting. KB comp isn't classic samba, as beautiful as it is.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I don't understand stuff like this, it's just a sound that washes over me. There's a nice bit of the C de A at the start then... The lead sheet I saw said solos had a Samba rhythm. I didn't know Samba was Spanish. More Portuguese, I thought, as in Bossa. In fact the whole thing sounds more like a Rio carnival than anything Spanish...

    Anyway, here's something vaguely Spanishy with a Samba back. And not fast, naturally, coz I don't. If the chords were more logical I could even make it beautiful

    Very melodic, ragman!

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    Sounds like samba to me. I'm not aware of any non-Brazilian or non-Brazilian-major-influenced style that sounds like that.

    The Montreaux live version sounds like funk.

    The original album version is closer to samba. Airto (drums) and Flora (vocal) are on that track. Much of Stanley Clarke's bass part is typical of samba, which can be quarter notes in 2/4 with the right accenting. KB comp isn't classic samba, as beautiful as it is.
    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 28) - Spain-hl_dds_137098618yccf5rh4-jpg

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    isn't classic samba, as beautiful as it is.
    Also see:

    Samba-jazz - Wikipedia

    But they don't give an audio clip. However... (we have to watch it on You Tube). The bit we want starts about 9.00.


  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    In fact, ignore the Spanish music at the beginning, forget it's called 'Spain', and just play bossa stuff over the chords!

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    That's better, much easier. If you don't weaken. Not exactly jazz fusion, etc, but never mind.


  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    The chords for the solos are not complicated.
    The fast Latin style provokes the performer to play a lively virtuoso solo. The soloist should have fun play melodically and rhythmically.
    Then the optimistic message of this piece will be preserved.I have been playing Spain for several years/studio and concerts/ and these are my observations.
    Good Luck
    Kris

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Happy Birthday Mr. B!

    I’m going to give this a whirl today. What is a good approach to playing over the C#7 to F#7, it’s not often I see a progression moving a fourth and both chords are dominant, rhythm changes is the only that comes to mind.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    You can think of it as G7 to F#7, makes things a bit easier.

    e.g. play those chords as C#7#9 to F#13, you can see it's almost the same as playing G13 to F#13.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    I am tempted to have a go at including the whole head arrangement on this one...I like a bit of a challenge! The chords for the solo are pretty straightforward though (in my opinion), I had a quick go over them and there is quite a lot of dominant to tonic (V to I) movement. More logical than they look at first sight.

    I once saw Chick Corea at Ronnie Scotts, I was expecting him to be a really serious po-faced kind of guy, what with the scientology and so on. I was even a bit prejudiced against him, to be honest. But in fact he was really humorous and talkative, very laid-back and friendly with the audience, I was quite surprised.

    But when he played (it was his acoustic group) he attacked the piano with real power and precision at the same time, it was amazing to see him up close (I was at the front table, a few feet from him, with a perfect view of the keyboard). One of the best gigs I ever saw there.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    By the way this gives you an idea of the view I had of Chick (these are thumbnails from my photographer friend Brian O’Connor’s website - he was right next to me at the same gig and took these photos). I often check his website and look at his photos to bring back memories of the gigs we went to!

    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 28) - Spain-eb139239-c772-4bb4-b25e-61757defbabc-jpeg

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop;[URL="tel:1135949"
    1135949[/URL]]You can think of it as G7 to F#7, makes things a bit easier.

    e.g. play those chords as C#7#9 to F#13, you can see it's almost the same as playing G13 to F#13.
    Awesome pictures of Chick, that must have been amazing. My Buddy has a story about seeing Chick in New York, as John Patitucci was getting on the stage he was bringing his bass and hit my buddies wife in the head. He apologized but my friend couldn’t stop “bragging” about his wife having been hit by such a special bass! Thanks for the tip on the G7-F#7 bit, it did help!

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    This is the first I’ve ever played this tune, it was a lot of fun!


  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    That's better, much easier. If you don't weaken. Not exactly jazz fusion, etc, but never mind.

    I think I like this second take better

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    It's undoubtedly better because it completely ignores the Spanish idea which is totally misleading anyway.

    I don't think this tune's easy, and especially not at the speed it's supposed to be done. You have to change scales or notes very, very quickly to cover the chords and it still has to sound good.






  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    May I take the liberty of clearing up a few misunderstandings?

    The piece "Spain", which is actually called "I can recall Spain" never wanted to be "Spanish music", but is a tribute to Joaquín Rodrigo, a Spanish composer who lost his eyesight at the age of three, and still became one of the most important composers of the classical (Spanish) guitar.

    Chick Corea never wanted to write a "somehow Spanish" piece but set a monument to Joaquín Rodrigo. (After Miles had done that before him)

    In addition, it may be of interest that the prejudice that Spanish music = flamenco is simply wrong. Flamenco is the music of Spanish gypsies in the extreme south of Spain. The fact that this is now equated worldwide with "Spanish music" is (unfortunately) the result of the work of tourism marketing agencies.

    So "I can recall Spain" is a tribute to a genius (if I may say so) and such a tribute the composer (C.C.) may really pay in the form that seemed appropriate to him, in this case a jazz samba.

    I'm sorry if I seem a bit pontificating here, but I've been annoyed by this misunderstanding for a long time, and at least in this forum I wanted to correct it once.

    If you're interested in the original composer and his crazy story, you'll find more info here:

    Wikipedia

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Can’t it be D major pretty much all the way?

    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 28) - Spain-353d847b-e023-46f0-8e84-57d713b3e4b7-jpeg

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    It's undoubtedly better because it completely ignores the Spanish idea which is totally misleading anyway.

    I don't think this tune's easy, and especially not at the speed it's supposed to be done. You have to change scales or notes very, very quickly to cover the chords and it still has to sound good.





    You should practice speed, but I don't know if it'll be easy to play an acoustic guitar with your thumb.'Spain' requires technical efficiency.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban View Post
    May I take the liberty of clearing up a few misunderstandings?

    The piece "Spain", which is actually called "I can recall Spain" never wanted to be "Spanish music", but is a tribute to Joaquín Rodrigo, a Spanish composer who lost his eyesight at the age of three, and still became one of the most important composers of the classical (Spanish) guitar.

    Chick Corea never wanted to write a "somehow Spanish" piece but set a monument to Joaquín Rodrigo. (After Miles had done that before him)

    In addition, it may be of interest that the prejudice that Spanish music = flamenco is simply wrong. Flamenco is the music of Spanish gypsies in the extreme south of Spain. The fact that this is now equated worldwide with "Spanish music" is (unfortunately) the result of the work of tourism marketing agencies.

    So "I can recall Spain" is a tribute to a genius (if I may say so) and such a tribute the composer (C.C.) may really pay in the form that seemed appropriate to him, in this case a jazz samba.

    I'm sorry if I seem a bit pontificating here, but I've been annoyed by this misunderstanding for a long time, and at least in this forum I wanted to correct it once.

    If you're interested in the original composer and his crazy story, you'll find more info here:

    Wikipedia
    Great info.
    Best
    Kris

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Borrowed the kids’ guitalele to try mostly D major