The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey fellas, Id like to share this random free jazzy improv, please let me know your thoughts, Id love to know how would you call this style, any constructive criticism is welcome too.

Cheers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice. You have a nice touch on the instrument, and you have a good command on the melodic and harmonic fundamentals. Your notes have a good flow to them.
    I wasn't able to follow your intention or sense of purpose though, and for a piece so long, unless I find something compelling, it's hard to listen to. If I might ask, what were you thinking? Did you have a short term suggestion of form you can share with us? Or a long term sense of what your ultimate destination, or purpose of the pieces were?
    I see you've called this "jazzy noodle" and that's what I hear. But aside from that, and a lot of kind of stream of consciousness meanderings, I had trouble finding a connecting purpose for the sounds. Please if you can help me out.

If I have something that I feel connects one thought to another, I will be intrigued, drawn in. If I don't, it feels like one of a lot of people that might be noodling at Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon.
    I hear a lot of great ideas, each of which could become a compelling seed for a free improvisation that conveys your personality and constructive abilities. But I didn't get the glue (rhythmic variation? dynamic contrast? contour? Motif? Phrase that weaves or contrasts).

I'm looking forward to your "liner notes". Thanks for sharing this!

Hi Jimmy, thanks for your time, I was just trying the chorus sound of my old krusty mico cube when I decided to go live on insta for the first time... from then... just a random improv, Joe Diorio used to say, play random for 30 minutes, I like that and I like to try to forget that I know how to play ¨regular¨guitar and play what I hear or just move the fingers.... its really dificult, you end up going back to chords, patterns and shit you know almost unconsciously... if that makes sense.

User Info Menu

Do this process with another person, it'll sharpen your listening and soloing interaction 100%. Did you have a chance to work with Joe?

Nope I did not work with Joe Diorio, Im 40 yo from Spain, never been in the US yet but I remember watching that old vhs tape where he said... every time you pick the guitar try to play random kinda atonal totally free stuff for 30 min, see what comes or what you hear or how do you resolve ideas, ¨mistakes¨....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Basshead
    Nope I did not work with Joe Diorio, Im 40 yo from Spain, never been in the US yet but I remember watching that old vhs tape where he said... every time you pick the guitar try to play random kinda atonal totally free stuff for 30 min, see what comes or what you hear or how do you resolve ideas, ¨mistakes¨....
    Great and useful practice. Expanding boundries and preconceived notions should be a part of every practice time.

In this case I was trying some ideas over a random beat I found on YT, I did not really feel the groove so I think Im a bit out of the pocket but, what you guys think?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Basshead
    I worked with Joes book "Intervallic Designs" (and continue to do so) he says he developed this study after 40 years of playing..so he was fairly set in his approach when he
    changed to this kind of thinking..

added to this..I incorporate harmonic and melodic patterns and extended scale studies (4 note per string/Alan Holdsworth/legato feel)

while your lines are "safe" sounding you might experiment with some "fusion" oriented thinking...slash chords and modal scales to offset the smooth sound you seem
    comfortable with..listen to some players that use this thinking ..Tom Quayle is one of the best at this kind of stuff ..Tom Quayle - Fusion Legato Guitar - www.tomquayle.co.uk

and if you want something on the extreme end Guthrie Govan should give you many ideas

Thanks Wolfen but Govan or Quayle are not my cup of tea, Im trying to go more into Carlton, Jackson Jr, Wes, Lee, Benson, Grant Green... and of course I love Miles, Coltrane, Herbie, Peterson, Jarret...
    Last edited by Basshead; 07-23-2021 at 03:43 AM.