Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

This week's pick, courtesy of wzpgsr.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 27) - Grooveyard-1626383697931-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Our very own dutchbopper put together a playalong:

Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Grooveyard

I play it in Eb, so probably will have to dig something else up or build my own track. Can’t wait to see what everyone does.

User Info Menu

Gonna have to be creative here, the tracks on YouTube are terrible.

Dick's track is cool, but I don't like playing along with guitar for videos like we do here, sound gets cluttered.

User Info Menu

This is a great tune and yeah the YouTube tracks suck. I much prefer it in Eb as well so I’m creating an iReal track for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Our very own dutchbopper put together a playalong:

I play it in Eb, so probably will have to dig something else up or build my own track. Can’t wait to see what everyone does.
    The Dutch Bopper was popping!

User Info Menu

That face when you call a tune and then play it like garbage. I’ll try again tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr;[URL="tel:1134403"
    1134403[/URL]]Our very own dutchbopper put together a playalong:

This backing track looks pretty good, thanks to Dutchboper! However, I’ve got an iReal track I made in Db if anyone wants to use it I’ll email it to you, just DM me with an address I can send to.

BTW I’m seeing these tracks and the chart from Real Book all in F, but the recordings I’ve been listening to (Harold Land, Phineas Newborn) are in Db. Who recorded it in F?

User Info Menu

Had to whip up my own backing track, which is admittedly rather clunky during the breaks—let's hear it for the drummer that keeps on drummin'!

User Info Menu

Well done, wzpgsr.

Blimey, by this time most of the regulars have already submitted at least three versions! Must be the heat...

I jest slightly, of course, but for some reason I haven't jumped on this one either, and it is far too hot where I am. Coming up, though. It will happen.

(And I hope everyone's okay)

User Info Menu

It has been a crazy week for me in advance of heading off for a vacation today. Bringing a guitar with me, so I should have something posted within a day or so.

User Info Menu

Well, don't get stranded in Turkey or something...

User Info Menu

Wzpgsr, nice! Melodic, bluesy, in pocket...

I might have to come back to this one...very little time to do anything this week. Actually been playing it solo...in D. But that's too cute for the purpose of this group.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr;[URL="tel:1134600"
    1134600[/URL]]Had to whip up my own backing track, which is admittedly rather clunky during the breaks—let's hear it for the drummer that keeps on drummin'!

Nice cut, I really like the use of space around 1:15, it sets up the next phrase nicely. I need to learn from that, I’m always a diesel train just barreling through! My iReal track is ok but has no soul to the groove as one would expect so I did the best I could. I bought the stuff to make better audio quality videos so I may redo this one later in the week. I asked before but I’ll ask again if anyone knows a recording where they play in F (starting on the G minor) I still can’t find one and is puzzling why the real book would chart it in F.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    too cute for the purpose of this group.
    Oh, go on, shame the devil!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Nice cut, I really like the use of space around 1:15, it sets up the next phrase nicely. I need to learn from that, I’m always a diesel train just barreling through! My iReal track is ok but has no soul to the groove as one would expect so I did the best I could. I bought the stuff to make better audio quality videos so I may redo this one later in the week. I asked before but I’ll ask again if anyone knows a recording where they play in F (starting on the G minor) I still can’t find one and is puzzling why the real book would chart it in F.
    I don't think it is in F despite what it says. I think it's in G minor and the key sig should be two flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't think it is in F despite what it says. I think it's in G minor and the key sig should be two flats.
    ok, assuming it’s in G minor, who recorded it in that key?

I would say it is F since it starts as a II - V but modulates once it gets to the F or Db in my case

User Info Menu

Hey man, I thought you used space really effectively in this take, especially during the bluesier bits during the first chorus.

Maybe there’s something we can take from that. Bear with me. A lot of straight blues guitar players—I’m talking blues blues, not jazz blues—Albert King, Albert Collins—lived more in the space after the notes than they did in the attacks of the notes themselves. When I think Albert King, for example, I am hearing in my head a single well-bent quarter-note to start measure one...then nothing...until the middle of measure two, when he answers that opening note with just a few pure-feel quarter notes.

User Info Menu

I might have to come back to this one...very little time to do anything this week. Actually been playing it solo...in D. But that's too cute for the purpose of this group.
    Ha! I had the same thought before I decided to make a backing track. I think you should do it. You could approach it like, “I showed up to the jam, no one else was there except for the audience, and I had to play *something.*”
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 07-17-2021 at 12:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I think it starts in G dorian...

User Info Menu

I would say it is F since it starts as a II - V but modulates once it gets to the F or Db in my case
    Generally speaking, it's not where it starts, it's where it ends. Tunes can start anywhere. Tonal centres can change frequently. ATTYA has five but there's no doubt it's in Ab!

I don't know what you mean by 'gets to the F'. Where does it do that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I think it starts in G dorian...
    It may need G dorian there but that's not the prevailing key. Ipanema begins with an Am6 or, if you prefer, with D9/A. It's still in F.

This is all irrelevant anyway. Who cares? The tune is the tune and we've got to play it!
    Last edited by ragman1; 07-17-2021 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

You're in good company. Joe Pass played it solo on Virtuoso II. Might have done it in C.

User Info Menu

I have no idea why the real book chart is in F. I don’t know of a recorded version in that key. Db seems to be the default key, that’s what Wes recorded it in. Just chalk this up to another Real Book aberration.

User Info Menu

Had 5 minutes. Here's one with just bass, in E minor (no sense in calling it Dmajor, its a minor key tune)

Bad sound, had to record with my laptop because iReal is on my phone and iPad was dead.

I'll try another, but might not get it in this week. Fun tune though, ill keep playing it. Not one that was on my radar really.

User Info Menu

Nice one, Jeff. Helluva shirt :-)