Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 64 of 64
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    No reason for that. Go back to Round 1 of this series and read Jeff's introduction. Anybody dissing somebody's playing here will be arrested and sentenced to listen to Madonna 24/7....
    That’s reassuring I’ll try to join in more then.

    Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Nice job! You nailed the changes—could hear them without a backing track. I’d consider that accomplishment.
    Thank you! Much appreciated!

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Saturday night at the Jersey shore on a porch amid auto traffic, fireworks, and a thunderstorm is, of course, the perfect environment for recording a little acoustic thing. Anyway, the backing track situation is dismal, so I took a crack at it solo. Came out more Lightnin' Hopkins than Wes. Next time I might try it in the style of the other Carl Perkins.

    This has a great mood to it. I think that's the goal. That you feel something and don't think about technical details. Well done!

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Had to whip up my own backing track, which is admittedly rather clunky during the breaks—let's hear it for the drummer that keeps on drummin'!

    Feels good and nice tone. Nice lines.

    I'll permit myself one minor critical comment because it's a pet peeve with my own guitars. The high E string can sound a bit plinky in the upper register if I'm not careful. Sometimes, all it needs is a new string (often, when I run a finger along the old string when it's off the guitar, I can feel a kink at each fret location). Other times it can be gauge, action, picking technique or too much treble in the amplification chain.

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Had 5 minutes. Here's one with just bass, in E minor (no sense in calling it Dmajor, its a minor key tune)

    Bad sound, had to record with my laptop because iReal is on my phone and iPad was dead.

    I'll try another, but might not get it in this week. Fun tune though, ill keep playing it. Not one that was on my radar really.

    Great time feel, as usual, and a nice way of harmonizing the bridge, which I'll need to get around to stealing.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Feels good and nice tone. Nice lines.

    I'll permit myself one minor critical comment because it's a pet peeve with my own guitars. The high E string can sound a bit plinky in the upper register if I'm not careful. Sometimes, all it needs is a new string (often, when I run a finger along the old string when it's off the guitar, I can feel a kink at each fret location). Other times it can be gauge, action, picking technique or too much treble in the amplification chain.
    I appreciate the comment. That high-end bite is something I have been trying to address on several guitars that happen to be strung with TI 12 flats. For my particular picking technique (which is terrible), I do struggle with that brittle high-end bite if I am not really careful with picking strength. I blame years of blues and rock playing where perhaps I tried to make up for lack of technique with an appeal to brute strength.

    That said, the Hofner Jazzica itself has a decidedly plinky fundamental tone. I've owned two, and they both have that sound. You can also hear this same plinkiness on some Bobby Broom recordings, etc. The recorded tone benefits from some surgical EQ'ing, now doubt. The Jazzica is a unique instrument, and I *really* like how the lower and middle registers work in tandem with the Hofner humbucker—very different sounding from my other Hofners.

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I'll stick with Gm for the time being. Fine contributions so far - enjoyed them all. I dig this tune and will work on it some more, including learning the head properly.
    In the meantime this will have to do:


    I like the overall feel of it. Time is solid. Tone is really nice and the lines work.

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    I find these threads quite intimidating so perhaps it’s a good thing the audio didn’t stick when I did a take the other night. I’m on vacation and only brought a NUX MightyPlug. It sounds decent and can record directly to iPhone but sometimes they just don’t pair. Perhaps jamming to iReal and recording is asking too much.

    Hard to hear this recording on my computer. Looking forward to the next one.

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Great tune, I think I originally heard Wes' version before any others. I opted for Eb minor. Backing is BIAB.

    I hear a really nice Wes influence. Well done!

    The tone is terrific, including the upper register of the guitar really singing out in a warm voice. That's something that can be elusive, but you really have nailed it. If you have a secret to share about that, please tell!

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I hear a really nice Wes influence. Well done!

    The tone is terrific, including the upper register of the guitar really singing out in a warm voice. That's something that can be elusive, but you really have nailed it. If you have a secret to share about that, please tell!
    Thanks RP. I’m usually a bit wary of going up to those high frets, I think I got a bit carried away on this occasion! As you say, the tone can easily get thin up there and I don’t like that.

    A couple of things that I think can help:
    - don’t pick too hard, it can kill the tone, let the amp do the work.
    - try and shift the right hand so that it’s at about the mid-point of the fretted string length (difficult to think about this while you’re in the middle of a solo, of course). Sometimes I practise without the amp, and you can hear when you get this right, the high notes suddenly sound fuller.

    Re. Wes, yes you’re right, I was definitely thinking about him, always one of my influences.

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I like the overall feel of it. Time is solid. Tone is really nice and the lines work.
    Thank you!

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    A couple of things that I think can help:
    - don’t pick too hard, it can kill the tone, let the amp do the work.
    - try and shift the right hand so that it’s at about the mid-point of the fretted string length (difficult to think about this while you’re in the middle of a solo, of course). Sometimes I practise without the amp, and you can hear when you get this right, the high notes suddenly sound fuller.
    .
    I tend to get carried away and pick too hard. On the too-rare occasions when I retain my composure, I use the volume pedal (I play with my foot on it at all times) to bring up the volume for the high notes and then pick softer.

    I hadn't thought about playing at the artificial harmonic node (if that makes sense), but maybe I've done it unconsciously. That is, I tend to pick around where the 24th fret (or a little higher) would be.

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar;[URL="tel:1135649"
    1135649[/URL]]I tend to get carried away and pick too hard. On the too-rare occasions when I retain my composure, I use the volume pedal (I play with my foot on it at all times) to bring up the volume for the high notes and then pick softer.

    I hadn't thought about playing at the artificial harmonic node (if that makes sense), but maybe I've done it unconsciously. That is, I tend to pick around where the 24th fret (or a little higher) would be.
    I definitely pick too hard. If I were to post videos of me playing jazz from 2 years ago you’d think I was doing a punk rock cover of a standard. It’s not easy but I’ve been forcing myself to pick lighter. I have the high E plink problem with all my guitars. I’ve changed the e from 12 to 13 and it helps. Also lower action forces you to play softer then raising it slightly a few months later.

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Peterson;[URL="tel:1135474"
    1135474[/URL]]That’s reassuring I’ll try to join in more then.



    Thank you! Much appreciated!
    Definitely keep the videos coming. The virtual jam is a tremendous help in getting better. I’m definitely reaping the benefits of this thread and you will too.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    I'm getting quite fond of this sepia colour. So last blast, a bit jerkier and a some reharm. It's an attempt to reduce the Pink Panther effect, but it's hard :-)