The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 155 of 155
    I've been absent for a little while. I'm really quite active digesting all of your approaches and feedback from this thread. At present I'm working with my friend Mick, who is an instructor and author and we're working on coming up with a teaching approach based on levels of ability, each level with its own abilities and exercises according on what's involved.
    It's one way to address specific ways of playing and hearing at different levels, and making the smooth transition from music lover to music maker and finally satisfied human being who makes art.
    I'm trying to incorporate some of those things into a three week segment that works with different levels of ability.
    More to come!
    Thanks to all!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    So here's my alternate tune for All The Things You Are. I did some playing around with motifs, and tried to incorporate some other suggestions.

Awesome lines. Loving those motifs and a nice little quote from the Autumn leaves. I have been flatted out with work. Hopefully I get to do some practice this weekend.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Jbn and Jerry405; I really appreciate your feedback.

I look forward to what's to come – I get a lot out of this approach.

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I know it has been a while since we last uploaded anything and this thread is probably finished now. Work has been crazy in the past couple of years and I am trying to hard to get back to playing. I wonder if you guys are still around or wanna do some practices together.

I was able to do some noodling today and hope you guys are well and still hanging around to practice.

User Info Menu

wow

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I spent some time earlier in the day internalizing the Real Book progression (Bb) with shell voicings—most of the way way there, but probably need a bit more of this to have it down totally solid. Later, following JBN's lead, I recorded several choruses of using just shell voicings—just half- and whole-notes, straight from the chart, at 58 bpm. I picked the least sloppy chorus and looped it twice, for a total of ~4:30 per take.

Then I recorded whole and half note root movements over my simple backing track. I did 3 takes of two choruses each. First time through I played the roots only on the high E string. Second time through I tried to open up a bit and found myself vaguely following the positions of the fifth and sixth string root position shell voicings I used in the backing track. This is something I have been working on in my lessons—correlating my fingerings to the chord shapes. At any rate, by the third take, I was finding some ease with the form, and able to move around with a bit of freedom. A couple of clunkers here and there, but feeling good about Day 1 overall.

I won't do this every night, but I'll try to post an occasional video in case anyone is interested in seeing / hearing my progress. This was probably my cleanest chorus of the night. Sorry about the slight electronic buzz (damn single coil pickups and their finicky positioning needs) and the fret (recent acquisition needs a setup).