The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

Triple Jazz has picked a great jam session tune for this week-- so dig in. Lots of decent tracks on YouTube, so no excuses!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 25) - Strasbourg St. Denis-1625169430650-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was kinda hoping for this tune to show up. A lot of the younger players (younger than me) love to call this tune. Fun tune. Almost got to see Roy Hargrove play with Q-tip, but I had to study for some wretched college exam or something

Here's Adam and Peter talking about the tune. Hope ya don't mind, Triples:

ROY!!!
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 07-01-2021 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

So I’ve never played this at a jam session but would love to! I only recently learned the head and started playing it so it’s new work for me as it may be for you too. Look forward to hearing your interpretations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    So I’ve never played this at a jam session but would love to! I only recently learned the head and started playing it so it’s new work for me as it may be for you too. Look forward to hearing your interpretations.

Nice, snappy, in pocket playing.

I sat down for a quick one this afternoon, got called to do some daddying so its an odd # of choruses,but hey. Fun tune.

User Info Menu

Whoa, whoa, whoa....

That's happy music playing, Mr. Triple.

Very tasty. Very much pocket playing. I liked it. A lot. Heard a little bebop mixed in with the R&B and Hip Hop type inflections.

Definitely a tune to really practice playing that Dilla style hip hop funk type beat.

Very nice.

User Info Menu

Mon Dieu, this place is an education !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars;[URL="tel:1131912"
    1131912[/URL]]I was kinda hoping for this tune to show up. A lot of the younger players (younger than me) love to call this tune. Fun tune. Almost got to see Roy Hargrove play with Q-tip, but I had to study for some wretched college exam or something

Here's Adam and Peter talking about the tune. Hope ya don't mind, Triples:

ROY!!!
    not at all, I Love these guys. It was the seven iconic baselines episode that sparked this song for my pic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont;[URL="tel:1131922"
    1131922[/URL]]Nice, snappy, in pocket playing.

I sat down for a quick one this afternoon, got called to do some daddying so its an odd # of choruses,but hey. Fun tune.

Nice N Greasy!! Masterful playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Mon Dieu, this place is an education !
    Isn't it?

New tune for me - sounds good (reminds a bit of "Mercy Mercy" - just faster).
    Funky takes by both of you, TJ and Jeff.

I'll try and see if I can get all bluesy on this one...

User Info Menu

Here we go. The backing track I used has several changes in feel, so I decided to play longer to go along with that. I also slowed the backing track down a bit -- it was done at 110 bpm which is I find too fast for the tune. I figured it could also use a bit of the old Skunk Baxter treatment.

TJ: very nice Benson-y take. Definitely your kind of tune.

Jeff: Started off great, and then it was like "who was that masked man?" We gotta get you to stick around a little longer on a tune.

User Info Menu

Nice John, funky and tasteful and raw. Like the artificial harmonics, the strat back pup with the heavy overdrive, blasting the neighborhood. Good tune for some side-slipping.

Really enjoyed that, you've inspired me.

User Info Menu

Tried a different technique for this take--barely fretting the notes. Tried to keep it groovy and dancing. Deceptively easy tune, this one is.

And here's a favorite of mine, off of RH Factor:

John A. making that guitar preach like a soul singer--liking that a lot as well.

User Info Menu

Yeah....never heard this tune till today, but I feel like this is one I might have to rawk on.

User Info Menu

I learned this tune while playing it on the bandstand a couple years ago when it got called at a jam session and I didn't know it. I definitely got "The Look" from the younger players

We also have a street named St-Denis in the city where I live (Montreal), and it's a very cool one. One of the two main jazz clubs in town is on it. And well... I speak french as much as I do english so I let loose on the title!

User Info Menu

The Street of St. Denis, that is where my house is?

Haven't spoken much French since high school. My sights are on finally learning Spanish after all these years teaching students who speak Spanish. Duo Linguo, here I come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars

Haven't spoken much French since high school. My sights are on finally learning Spanish after all these years teaching students who speak Spanish. Duo Linguo, here I come
    Translation: St-Denis Street, there is where my mind is!

Spanish and French have quite a few common elements. Helps me when I play with my latin band, but the Cuban slang is not so easy to get!

User Info Menu

tete is head... oh yeah

Do you ever listen to this guy, Ronstuff?

User Info Menu

tete is head... oh yeah

Do you ever listen to this guy, Ronstuff?

I've seen his name, but have never heard him play. I will check it out.

User Info Menu

If Rue St. Denis in Paris is where your house is, you, um, uh, probably own a lot of lingerie.

User Info Menu

Only if this song plays, John A:

In all seriousness, Meshell Ndegeocello is quite funky and a hell of bassist and singer.

She may have played with Roy at one point, they were definitely in the same circles.

D'Angelo played with Roy, and with Meshell (?)

Anyway, that "Love You Down" rendition is a heart stopper for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    If Rue St. Denis in Paris is where your house is, you, um, uh, probably own a lot of lingerie.
    In Montreal, more fittingly, that'd be Rue St. Catherine.

Yikes, y'all were busy...I gotta do some listening...reporting back tomorrow.

Fun tune, ain't it? I know there's the hip hop parallels, but this one sounds like a 70's CTI jam to me...man it would have been cool to hear what like, Freddie, Herbie, and say, Idris Muhammad would have done with this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz

Funky! Channeling your inner George Benson.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Triple--I think this is YOUR tune.

Great playing all around, but you really found your groove with this one--and it's not an easy tune to FEEL.

RH Factor and EarFood are definitely great albums to check out. Earfood is more laid back, RH is more hip hop and R&B. I really missed out on not seeing Roy Hargrove with Q-tip back in college.

Great pick!

User Info Menu

Yes, well, my thumb can't cope with the head so here's a nice tour round the St. Denis area of Paris. In the day it's lively enough but after dark lord knows what goes on. It's a fun place.

But, as I'm the quiet, cruise the strip, sit in a cafe, watch the people type, here's a noodle over Roy's backing. It was nice collaborating with him. We must do it again sometime

Last edited by ragman1; 07-04-2021 at 02:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Made a mint julep and did some listening.

John, nice to hear somebody else felt the 70's vibe. Loved the edgy tone and the go for it attitude. And oh, I had every intention of going longer, but my 7 year old had a hopeless knot on the tie of his swimming trunks.

Ron had a bunch of that feel too. Great lines, a little more modern than my CTI mindset, but totally grooving.

Picking, I liked the "popcorn" notes, the palm muting. That was definitely dancing.

Rag, first of all great balance in the recording. I wasn't sure how you would take to this one, and that became a pleasant leisurely stroll down Rue St. Denis.

I'll try another in a day or two...the backyard is ready for summer...maybe some outdoor posts coming...I might be regretting not getting the rechargeablewireless THR model...oh well.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 25) - Strasbourg St. Denis-20210702_095932-jpg