The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

John A's pick this week...have we done a waltz yet? I don't think we have?

Great pick.
    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 24) - A Child is Born-1624555784158-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Uh oh, I don’t know this one at all! I’ve got my work cut out this week.

User Info Menu

High School Jazz Band memories, right here for me!

The jazz band director used to make fun of me because I was the only student in his class that actually enjoyed playing these big band standards.

User Info Menu

That's funny.

You know, I don't actually think I've heard this played by a big band, outside of the very subdued Thad Jones/Mel Lewis version. The version I always think of in my head is Bill Evans on the album "Quintessence."

User Info Menu

Another new tune for me - curious...

User Info Menu

My take...

Beaut of a tune, John A. Definitely warrants a chord melody that I can't quite do as of yet. Still a great way to practice sustaining lines and melody.

For my little girl, of course

User Info Menu

Alright then, let's get started.

I like this tune because, in general, I like jazz waltzes, especially ones that work either as ballads or a little more up tempo, I like the sentiment (a new parent's emotions), and I like the sense of it being simple to figure out but offering lots of avenues to explore.

At one point maybe a couple of years ago I shedded it quite a bit, but I haven't played it much with other people, and haven't dwelt on it in a while. So it's sort of in that zone between completely fresh and overfamiliar. I tried to keep that sense by not doing a whole bunch of takes chasing down a mistake-free performance. I played through the head a couple of times just to get it back under my fingers, and then went for it. I got almost all the way through a pretty good first take, and really wanted to limit myself to just one, but my wife walked into the shot in her PJ's and distracted me, and I fell apart (she has that effect ... ). I got this second take down (which is a bit better than the abandoned first) and stopped there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

I like this tune because, in general, I like jazz waltzes, especially ones that work either as ballads or a little more up tempo, I like the sentiment (a new parent's emotions), and I like the sense of it being simple to figure out but offering lots of avenues to explore.

At one point maybe a couple of years ago I shedded it quite a bit, but I haven't played it much with other people, and haven't dwelt on it in a while. So it's sort of in that zone between completely fresh and overfamiliar. I tried to keep that sense by not doing a whole bunch of takes chasing down a mistake-free performance. I played through the head a couple of times just to get it back under my fingers, and then went for it. I got almost all the way through a pretty good first take, and really wanted to limit myself to just one, but my wife walked into the shot in her PJ's and distracted me, and I fell apart (she has that effect ... ). I got this second take down (which is a bit better than the abandoned first) and stopped there.

One of your finest showings yet, IMO. The last 1/4 or so reminded me of a more harmonically interesting take on the kind of extended major-key jams that would occasionally blossom in the middle of a Grateful Dead set from a particular era—no offense if you’re not a GD fan, it just had some of that vibe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr;[URL="[URL
    tel:1130249[/URL]"]1130249[/URL]]The last 1/4 or so reminded me of a more harmonically interesting take on the kind of extended major-key jams that would occasionally blossom in the middle of a Grateful Dead set from a particular era—no offense if you’re not a GD fan, it just had some of that vibe.
    All Grateful Dead fans are jazz fans but not all jazz fans are Grateful Dead fans. :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    My take...

Beaut of a tune, John A. Definitely warrants a chord melody that I can't quite do as of yet. Still a great way to practice sustaining lines and melody.

For my little girl, of course
    Thought I was listening to Jim Hall.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    Thought I was listening to Jim Hall.
    You make me blush. I will take that over sounding like Pat Metheny ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. For context, people used to compare my sound to Pat Metheny's... Although I love Pat's acoustic sound--not a fan of his very dark and bassy tone. I am still trying to get outta the "mud" these days.

In all seriousness, though... I listened to my take again.

--> I need to make my rhythms more definite. If I sustain notes, they have to have a clear beginning and end. The eighth notes and poly rhythms all have to be clear and in the pocket for the sustained notes to read right, to my ears.

Still a beaut of a tune. Thank you for calling this tune, John A. Haven't heard it since high school, over a decade ago. Now I'm a father of a tot, and this tune is a great dedication to raising her throughout C19. Love/ Hate. John A. and Mr. B hopefully understand. Love my girl, but... terrible two's leading into three-nanger (yes, that's a thing these days).

User Info Menu

Jim Hall did a nice version with Art Farmer - this was one of the first jazz records I got:

User Info Menu

Beutiful choice! I played the tune with a Big Band when I was 20, and then again with a combo. Haven't come near it in 30 years.

I didn't have any time over the last two weeks but I hope I can post my own take over the weekend. Tough acts to follow anyway.

rpjazzguitar, your take is superb once again. John A's isn't half bad, either. Ragman, what a beautiful acoustic ballad.

While I like the sound of PickingMyEars, I thought the piano was too soft. The result is that the timing seems to be a bit off to my ears. But you noticed yourself...

Finally I admit that I always thought the tune was a christmas carol. I'll try not to sneak some Silent Night into my take eventually....

User Info Menu

Wzpgsr: Thanks very much. I'm not sure I hear any parallels with the Dead, but am not bothered by the comparison (which others have made to me). I guess I'd have to hear a specific example, but I don't hear any Jerry in my playing and don't think of him as an influence. I have mixed opinions on them overall. I like the idea of what they did a lot (eclecticism, collective improv), and props to Jerry for having a really distinct musical personality and sound. But (thinking of their work as more about all the tapes, and the dead show experience than the actual albums), there's a lot of chaff. And Bob.

PME (apparently not Pat Metheny Experience): I think you hit the nail in the head with your note on needing more rhythmic crispness. You started out really well, but it seemed to drift to me, especially the phrasing.

RPJG: Really nice take. It seems like you went a little more outside than usual, and I think it works well. Lots of surprises, but still a good sense of groove and your recognizable sound.

Rag: obviously, this tune is well matched with your approach. And your toolkit works very well on your take.

User Info Menu

Tough tune to say anything on that isn't dwarfed by the beautiful melody, so here I am keeping it very close to the cuff...

Now to listen to y'all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Tough tune to say anything on that isn't dwarfed by the beautiful melody, so here I am keeping it very close to the cuff...

Now to listen to y'all.

Really nice, Jeff. Would love to hear you go a bit longer with it, but I know that's not how you roll on these threads.
    Last edited by John A.; 06-25-2021 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Now to listen to y'all.

Jeff, you always sound great. The thing I'll focus on here is the articulation of each note. Very strong, very precise and absolute clarity.

This is an under-discussed aspect of playing, but the great players all seem to have the ability to articulate notes very clearly.

User Info Menu

Nice job! The tone is great and I liked the freedom of the improvisation. I'm going to try to cop that from you.

User Info Menu

Alright, got to listen.

Picking and Rag, two different approaches to melody, but both relaxing, peaceful statements...like holding a sleeping newborn.

John, really going for it. I love that. Maybe a little notey-er than I'd dare try on this tune, but it works...there's a great forward motion to it.

Rp, lovely lyrical note choices and contour to your lines. My only suggestion would be that this might be too slow of a tempo to play 8ths that straight, but that's my personal preference speaking,, and that iReal track is kind of "unswinging," so its a challenge to sound as good as you do on it!

User Info Menu

Please forgive a second take. A little faster, swung eighths and a chord stab I'd like to replace with anything else.

User Info Menu

Very simple chord melody...does not sit lovely on guitar...might lower the key.

Edit: A will do. Needed a way to get those melody notes in bar 2/4/6 legato without interrupting the harmony.

Bb still fine on electric, I'd say.

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-25-2021 at 04:22 PM.

User Info Menu

A little bit busier with this take.

I was thinking Aretha and Whitney, which actually makes sense with the vibe that Thad and Mel went for with their later iterations of the big band. Some funky and groovy stuff in the Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis catalogue.

Time was a little loose at points. Tried to capture the drama of having a kid. Especially the first time, shesh!

User Info Menu

Very simple chord melody...does not sit lovely on guitar...might lower the key.

Edit: A will do. Needed a way to get those melody notes in bar 2/4/6 legato without interrupting the harmony.

Bb still fine on electric, I'd say.

I was messing around with this in A on acoustic last night and came up with pretty much the same thing you do here. I was just thinking about how to do it a little differently, with maybe some 2-part counterpoint instead of chords, which I'll try later at home. Gee that Martin sounds really nice (no John, you can't buy another guitar).

User Info Menu

I was messing around with this in A on acoustic last night and came up with pretty much the same thing you do here. I was just thinking about how to do it a little differently, with maybe some 2-part counterpoint instead of chords, which I'll try later at home. Gee that Martin sounds really nice (no John, you can't buy another guitar).
    Beautiful.