The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    relaxing, peaceful statements...like holding a sleeping newborn.
    But that's what it's supposed to be, isn't it?, hence the title. Mind you, that's what the lyrics say but I don't know if that was the idea behind the original tune without lyrics.

This is interesting and also questions the authorship of the song .

"A Child is Born" | Stories of Standards - KUVO

The Thad Jones, Bill Evans and others' versions are very slow. That seems to me to reinforce this idea of a sleeping newborn child. That's why I did it so slowly. Even I, aka Mr Slow :-), found myself jumping ahead with the notes a little.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    But that's what it's supposed to be, isn't it?
    In my opinion, definitely.

User Info Menu

But that's what it's supposed to be, isn't it?, hence the title. Mind you, that's what the lyrics say but I don't know if that was the idea behind the original tune without lyrics.

This is interesting and also questions the authorship of the song .

"A Child is Born" | Stories of Standards - KUVO

The Thad Jones, Bill Evans and others' versions are very slow. That seems to me to reinforce this idea of a sleeping newborn child. That's why I did it so slowly. Even I, aka Mr Slow :-), found myself jumping ahead with the notes a little.
    The original Thad Jones recording is very slow, and most of the people I've heard do it live do it that more or less that way. For some reason, the backing tracks all seem to be relatively fast. I like it either way.

User Info Menu

Tough tune to say anything on that isn't dwarfed by the beautiful melody, so here I am keeping it very close to the cuff...

Now to listen to y'all.

Nice resolution on that descending line around 00:38 or so till 00:42. Thought you were gonna go for some intentional dissonance over the bar line but then you slid up a half step. Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

Please forgive a second take. A little faster, swung eighths and a chord stab I'd like to replace with anything else.
    A delicate and consistent touch. Like the blues you found around 01:20.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    A little bit busier with this take.

I was thinking Aretha and Whitney, which actually makes sense with the vibe that Thad and Mel went for with their later iterations of the big band. Some funky and groovy stuff in the Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis catalogue.

Time was a little loose at points. Tried to capture the drama of having a kid. Especially the first time, shesh!

One of my favorites of yours. Lovely take.

User Info Menu

More thoughts:

Rp, I definitely liked the swung 8ths in your second take...whole thing has a looser feel which i assume is you just getting more comfortable. I like it.

And John, RE: the Martin...unfortunately this guitar will end up costing me $...as I've figured the 000 is the perfect size for me...now I want a "nice" one.

But I won't be getting rid of this one. Great sounding guitar, plays nice too.

User Info Menu

More thoughts:

Rp, I definitely liked the swung 8ths in your second take...whole thing has a looser feel which i assume is you just getting more comfortable. I like it..
    Perhaps this will be of interest, and stimulate discussion.

I recorded the two takes one after the other.

For the first one, I prepared. I printed out the RB chart and I wrote in notes about what to play over each chord. More like guidelines than rules. So, for example, I wrote in Gb over the Ebm. I wrote in Ebmelmin over Ebm6/Bb. I wrote in Gminmaj over the first D+7 and then Eb7 Ab7 over the second D+7. Over F7sus4 I wrote in Cm7 Dm7. Then Cm6 over F13. Over Gb6#11 I wrote Bbm and added the C when I played the solo - I could have written Bbmadd9, but it didn't occur to me at the time.

I almost never do this, but I was thinking it might elicit some different sounds than usually occur to me. I think it was John who mentioned that it sounded a little more outside than usual. That's why.

Then, for the second take I did what I usually do. I didn't think about any of that. Instead, I relied on feel to be consistent with the harmony and I tried to make melody. That is not a reliable recipe for success.

I think writing in alternative changes (to have vocabularly) is a good idea, taught by Hermeto Pascoal, among others. But it's for the shed. The other approach strikes me as more for the bandstand. Of course, as you internalize your vocabulary it's supposed to become automatic.

So, the point is that thinking differently made a noticeable difference. Go figure.

User Info Menu

Very nice takes from all. This really is a delicate tune and needs to be handled like a precious baby! While looking for inspiration I found this golden nugget from Dave Stryker. The octave solo crescendo is worth the price of admission.

User Info Menu

One of my favorites of yours. Lovely take.
    My guitar gets very percussive when I turn the volume up and I get this "clack click" noise. Might be the action with all this heat and humidity. Any ideas, anyone?

Seattle, c'mon! It's supposed to be COOLER up north

How is it in Chi-Town, Mr. B.

Lovely takes all around. I want an acoustic, but that purchase is gonna have to wait because... God Bless the Child that's got HER own Singing and dancing, that is

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars

How is it in Chi-Town, Mr. B.:
    Humidity can definitely lead to guitars sounding "tubby." Though I think your tone sounds great on these takes.

I will argue that Chicago is the best city in the U.S. at pretty much everything-- except weather. Our weather blows for about 48 weeks a year.

Starting usually in May, coinciding with my seasonal allergies, I shut all the windows and let the AC regulate our temperature and humidity in the house, as from May to September Chicago has 2 types of weather, generally: Hot and humid, or cooler, even more humid, and raining.

We were in a wicked drought of hot humid days that could never seem to rain, and now mother nature seems hell bent on catching us up on 6 months of rainfall in one week. Last weekend we even had a tornado in a highly residential area in the burbs, about 15 miles west of me.

But in the house it's 70° and my guitars are all happy

Re: alternate changes write ins-- yes, RP, I do that a lot, but I try to never look at anything when I do my take...its a false impression of really knowing the tune, as it's just in "short term" memory, but it least it allows me to be free of the paper.

But im a BIG fan of writing a tune out when learning it, and annotations.

User Info Menu

So here is my take, played on a Flamenca, but not at all Flamenco. Took it down a half step to A.

Stream Sasha is born by Stephan Kupper | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Noise, clack or click... is from... a grounding issue, your action or your picking.

What is sounded like to me was... your attacks. The actual force. Seems to change a lot.... and when the volumes up you can hear the... differences. And when your picking has lots of downward force, you need higher action.

I've had all the problems. Not so much live but when in studios... recording, you hear everything.

If it's a results from your picking... do you pick downward. Better picking technique is more of a horizontal movement over the strings. Creates less bounce etc...

Experiment... should be simple to detect where or why it's happening.

If it turns out to be a grounding issue. It's a simple fix. Make sure the wiring is right, the pods etc... and using copper foil under pick guard to create a large ground works great.

User Info Menu

Simple is good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont;[URL="tel:1130548"
    1130548[/URL]]
    I will argue that Chicago is the best city in the U.S. at pretty much everything-- except weather.
    I was in Chicago a few years ago for an education thing. Sessions were over at 4 and by 5 I was having dinner in Andy’s or Buddy Guys. It was a musical Mecca for me. It has it all, well it has great jazz and great blues. I’m a NJ guy (turned PA last few years) and I’ve always had NYC on one hand and Philly on the other. Both obviously great cities but Chicago is something really special. Would love to spend more time there.

User Info Menu

Actually, having posted that vid, I'm not sure I'm not missing the point of the tune. Too many altered notes, etc. So probably it ought to be more like this. Although I know people do it differently.

User Info Menu

Actually, having posted that vid, I'm not sure I'm not missing the point of the tune. Too many altered notes, etc. So probably it ought to be more like this. Although I know people do it differently.

Beautiful. The simpler the better.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here it is folks! Trying to chill on a hot and humid sunday morning.

User Info Menu

This is a bit meandering I'm afraid.

User Info Menu

I got around to listening today!
    Picking my Ears, love those long sustaining notes. Very effective.

John, love the tone and the way you play the whole neck of the instrument with ease and freedom.

Rp, nice use of motifs to build your solo and great tone. Love that guitar!

Jeff, I dig your vibrato and touch. Such a melodic solo!

Rag, you always navigate through chord changes so smoothly, great quality to have!

Fep, I like the soul in your version. And on piano also...great! Nice Yamaha Revstar, I also have one and really like it.

Triple jazz, I like the Dave Stryker version. I've been listening to him a lot lately. Inspiring player!
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 06-27-2021 at 08:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I wasn’t totally familiar with this tune but I’ve heard it before. It’s so beautiful I decided to arrange a chord melody. I imagine this is the music floating through my kids minds as they drift off to sleep.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed all of your contributions here - lots of good playing!
    Nice ballad and I really enjoy playing the changes but somehow me and that tune don't seem to work with each other. My attempts at improvising always sound pedestrian and lame so I guess I better skip this one...

User Info Menu

Hey, Tommo, I don't think you should skip it. It's not difficult and there's room for bluesy stuff. Forget the tune, just play the chords. Something'll come out, bound to.

User Info Menu

Hey, Tommo, I don't think you should skip it. It's not difficult and there's room for bluesy stuff. Forget the tune, just play the chords. Something'll come out, bound to.
    Thanks for your encouragement, ragman!

User Info Menu

Oh, we want to hear you!

I just did this for fun... at least, I think it's fun