The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 89 of 89

User Info Menu

Nice, a few takes I didn't get to comment on.

RP, love that relaxed swinging. Great time, thoughtful lines, and I really like your tone with that guitar.

Petersen and Ragman, both proving that the tune actually is kind of pretty...not just for "blowing."

And John, fun take on the Recording King. I have one of those as well--same model, I think, and it's one of those guitars I find myself picking up often because it's so damn fun to play.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tempo of 180 a bit outside my comfort zone but after 84 choruses, I started feeling more comfortable. Here's a couple takes:

And from bit later:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Tempo of 180 a bit outside my comfort zone but after 84 choruses, I started feeling more comfortable. Here's a couple takes:

And from bit later:

I like the harmonies you used and the rhythms are nicely varied. Sounds good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I like the harmonies you used and the rhythms are nicely varied. Sounds good!
    Yes and I loved the sparse clear lines you employed as well.

User Info Menu

Tommo, the best thing for me about this thread is hearing what I perceive as an improvement in your playing. It sounds like you're phrasing a lot more from inside the tune. JMO, by the way Cool, and nice tone too.

I'll be back when time allows, maybe even with some actual bebop lines mixed in!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Tommo, the best thing for me about this thread is hearing what I perceive as an improvement in your playing. It sounds like you're phrasing a lot more from inside the tune. JMO, by the way Cool, and nice tone too.
    Thanks a lot for the kind words, Peter - much appreciated !

User Info Menu

Wizard Pig Senior, I always enjoy your laid back, lyrical lines. And great tone on that JS Verythin...such a cool guitar.

I can tell just by hearing you play that we dig the same stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nice, a few takes I didn't get to comment on.

RP, love that relaxed swinging. Great time, thoughtful lines, and I really like your tone with that guitar.

Petersen and Ragman, both proving that the tune actually is kind of pretty...not just for "blowing."

And John, fun take on the Recording King. I have one of those as well--same model, I think, and it's one of those guitars I find myself picking up often because it's so damn fun to play.
    Yes, it is indeed a fun guitar. After some de-acquisitions, I had been left with a sel-mac style as my only acoustic guitar and found myself missing a more traditional flattop sound and feel for blues and other vocal stuff and as a vacation/beater axe. The RK fills the bill. I got the Series 7.

Oh, and nice takes by RPJ, WPLJ, and Peterson.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Also-ran. Really, thats about as nice a compliment as I could imagine.

I don't think deciphering my playing should be too tough...im a very simple player.

I follow the chord changes, lots of chord tones,, enclosures,, and chromatic. I make every ii V either ii or V but usually not both, float complicated sequences by targeting a particular chord, think almost all I and V on fast tunes, and get any outside sounds by accessing altered notes on dominant chords or anticipating chord changes a few beats early.

All my phrasing and feel comes from listening to that music you mentioned...lots of mid bar or phrase kickoff triplets...I fucking love triplets... I like a lot of jazz and listen to a lot of different kinds of it, but the stretch from say 1956 to 1962 is the music that I live for.

Thanks for the post, that tip to go either ii or V on a ii V I really helped me. With so many options, usually I can't decide what to do and flounder.

This is definitely harder than "here's the pentatonic, bend these ones" and your off to the races

User Info Menu

Wizard Pig Senior, I always enjoy your laid back, lyrical lines. And great tone on that JS Verythin...such a cool guitar.

I can tell just by hearing you play that we dig the same stuff.
    Just a shoutout to Mr. B for running this here shindig so well. Participating in these jams has made a huge and positive impact on my playing. Thanks, Mr. B!

User Info Menu

Just a shoutout to Mr. B for running this here shindig so well. Participating in these jams has made a huge and positive impact on my playing. Thanks, Mr. B!
    Most welcome, this has been a great run and I intend to keep it going as long as folks will keep participating. No better way to get better than actually playing!

Btw, this week's tune just arrived in my mailbox, and it's a real treat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr;[URL="tel:1130171"
    1130171[/URL]]Just a shoutout to Mr. B for running this here shindig so well. Participating in these jams has made a huge and positive impact on my playing. Thanks, Mr. B!
    Yes, this virtual jam is totally helping my playing and it’s pure joy to see everyone’s style and take and the discussion that ensues. Cheers to Matz and his Catz!

User Info Menu

100% agreed!

User Info Menu

John's acoustic version inspired me to get mine out. Fun to play on a different instrument, yet not easy since my touch on acoustic guitar is way out of shape...But it seems to be working as good sleeping music for my cat!