The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 89

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 23) - Lady Bird-1623956300911-jpg

Great pick from TOMMO this week, a real jam session tune.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great tune that I had trouble with for a while. That iv to bVIIdom at the beginning threw me off for a while.

Mr. '77, ahem, I mean Mr. Christian, ahem, I mean Mr. Flying Circus... ah hell, here we go again

Anyway, that guy with those names above, he had a great video about iv to bVIIdom backdoor type progressions.

User Info Menu

Its hot out...had to get a first impression in, because my next 7 days are ridiculously busy.

Here we go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Its hot out...had to get a first impression in, because my next 7 days are ridiculously busy.

Here we go!
    I have got to figure out why you sound so good when you turn on your "Classic Jazz" mode. Its like I am listening to someone off a recording from the heyday of Jazz (circa mid 40's to late 50's). I am pretty good at figuring out what I like in a song, so maybe I can do it.

Great way to start of this week's jam!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Also-ran. Really, thats about as nice a compliment as I could imagine.

I don't think deciphering my playing should be too tough...im a very simple player.

I follow the chord changes, lots of chord tones,, enclosures,, and chromatic. I make every ii V either ii or V but usually not both, float complicated sequences by targeting a particular chord, think almost all I and V on fast tunes, and get any outside sounds by accessing altered notes on dominant chords or anticipating chord changes a few beats early.

All my phrasing and feel comes from listening to that music you mentioned...lots of mid bar or phrase kickoff triplets...I love triplets... I like a lot of jazz and listen to a lot of different kinds of it, but the stretch from say 1956 to 1962 is the music that I live for.

User Info Menu

Quicker than I usually play it... but I wanted to join in:

Just finished a hell of a school year. My teaching brethren will understand. I am officially flipping the bird to this school year.

Playing this at 200bpm really came through in my playing. A lot of choppy lines. By that, I mean that they felt incomplete and not phrase like.

Anyway, always loved this tune. That said, this tune used to feel impossible to play. Now it feels... a little less impossible

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan

Great way to start of this week's jam!
    Yes - great playing as always Jeff!

PME: nice although you seemed to lose the plot towards the end.

User Info Menu

All my phrasing and feel comes from listening to that music.
    Exactly, that's it. But it's not just about copying, you need an absolute feel for it in the first place.

User Info Menu

Usual thing...

User Info Menu

So here's mine:

Any comments welcome as always.
    The temperatures here this week (mid 90s) justify the Hawaiian shirt...

A couple of thoughts on the tune:

Nice melody over a short 16 bar form that's easy to memorize. And it's a text book(let) of some important classic jazz ingredients: static harmony (Cmaj and Abmaj for two bars each), a backdoor resolution, II - Vs and a II - V - I and that famous Dameron turnaround (including tritone subs?) - essentially the same that Wes Montgomery uses for "West Coast Blues".

I hope you all have fun with it. Looking forward to your takes!

User Info Menu

Jeff your cuts are always fantastic but this one is just stellar. Absolutely superb music coming from your fingers!!

Picking, I had kind of an impression from previous recordings that you don’t do a lot of fast lines but there were some nice tasty quick ones, one especially stood out that I loved

Rag, very nice nice stuff here. My coworkers and I pulled out the wine table and cheese then collapsed into the nap pods

Tom very elegant lines and goddam gorgeous tone!

User Info Menu

I’ve tinkered with this tune in the past but it’s been on the shelf a while, thanks for putting it in this weeks jam. I’ve never played it at a jam but hope to now.

On a separate note, I just change the strings two days ago. I went from using Chromes for thousands of years to trying the Thomastic flats for the first time. While I use their rounds on the Ibanez I usually post with, this is my first experience with the flats. I typically play 12 gauge set with a 13 instead of the 12. This is a pack of 12s with no 13. I’m noticing how much flexible and slinky they are. They feel thinner than a 12 but they’re nice playing. Problem is, I lower the action and I’ve had a while to get used to this new set up before I could find a cut I wanted to post. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    J

Tom very elegant lines and goddam gorgeous tone!
    Thank you!

I’ve tinkered with this tune in the past but it’s been on the shelf a while, thanks for putting it in this weeks jam. I’ve never played it at a jam but hope to now.
    Lots of great ideas there, TJ - enjoyed it! I noticed that you played the head with the f#. I'm aware of that variation. Any idea where that originated? It's not in the original recording...

User Info Menu

Very fun tune!
    As Beboppy as I can!

User Info Menu

Tommo, please don't take this the wrong way but...

Your playing deserves a better rhythm section.

It would be near impossible for me to stretch out creatively and groove with a track like that.

Really dug your playing. That guitar is SINGING and I could hear a melody underneath. I just wish we weren't at the mercy of all this digitized bullshite backing. iReal Pro or what have you... I am starting to think playing with those tracks does more harm than good. Great jazz isn't stilted or robotically predictable. It's human. After this year of everything and it's sister being digitized or Zoom-ified, I am ready to get back to the HUMAN element of it all.

I think if a REAL rhythm section was behind you, they would do your playing the justice and support you deserve.

Odd thing started happening with my own playing, and I hope this means I am turning another corner in my own development. I actually really despise most backing tracks. That has got me into the new habit of trying to play tunes totally unaccompanied. Actually, it is now easier for me to play unaccompanied than with a backing track. Not bragging.Playing unaccompanied is still a HELL of a challenge for me.

But these digitized backing tracks really get in the way of my line development. Hearing the same snare hit every damn time... what did Barry Harris have to say about that? Mr. CM'77 knows what I mean, I bet. I am trying to get more and more into macro time. Feeling larger chunks of time so I can craft longer phrases. Feeling the framework that organizes the pulse rather than just the pulse itself.

I'll post another one unaccompanied, but I want to stretch myself. I'm more comfortable hearing 2 measures at a time than I am with 4 measures at a time (8 beats versus 16 beats in 4/4). I also have to work on my faster lines, as Triple has aptly observed in my playing. Faster lines means faster vocabulary. I spoke with my teacher during our last lesson and he said that double time isn't just speeding up your lines double as fast. Double time is it's own beast and needs to be crafted as such. So I need to work on that

My teacher is looking for more people to check out his new website: Greg Fishman Jazz Studios | Jazz educator

If you want to take your playing beyond your instrument and study with saxophone teacher, I'd highly recommend Greg Fishman. He's a great guy, great teacher, and quite the musician--that's an understatement. I'd check out some of his books as well. I liked his stuff a lot more than the Baker Bebop books.
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 06-18-2021 at 12:42 PM.

User Info Menu

My coworkers and I pulled out the wine table and cheese then collapsed
    Sounds like a decent job. Any vacancies?

User Info Menu

Here we go!
    That's the sound and the style I enjoy! Very nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Thank you!

Lots of great ideas there, TJ - enjoyed it! I noticed that you played the head with the f#. I'm aware of that variation. Any idea where that originated? It's not in the original recording...
    I couldn’t tell you where it came from but I got it from Stan Getz

Ron, killin the bop nicely on that one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Very fun tune!
    As Beboppy as I can!
    Very nice - put a grin from ear to ear on my face - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Tommo, please don't take this the wrong way but...Your playing deserves a better rhythm section.
    I'd rather perceive that as a compliment but: I have to put up with what's available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    So here's mine:

Any comments welcome as always.
    The temperatures here this week (mid 90s) justify the Hawaiian shirt...

A couple of thoughts on the tune:

Nice melody over a short 16 bar form that's easy to memorize. And it's a text book(let) of some important classic jazz ingredients: static harmony (Cmaj and Abmaj for two bars each), a backdoor resolution, II - Vs and a II - V - I and that famous Dameron turnaround (including tritone subs?) - essentially the same that Wes Montgomery uses for "West Coast Blues".

I hope you all have fun with it. Looking forward to your takes!
    Just delicious tone and great lines to match! Really nice. I played this twice just because I wanted to hear it again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Very fun tune!
    As Beboppy as I can!
    Thanks for being "beboppy"! I'm loving the turn to classic bop tone and phrasing in these posts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Just delicious tone and great lines to match! Really nice. I played this twice just because I wanted to hear it again.
    Thank you very much lawson - looking forward to your playing!

User Info Menu

So the premise of this next take is to play unaccompanied and still feel that BIG beat...

Having my playing line up with a metronome that only clicks once every 4 measures at 160bpm is REALLY challenging, at least for me. I want to tap on 1 and 3, but to be honest... I might have to just "feel" the time to make this work.

Anyway, unaccompanied take. I think my lines sound a little better here, but getting that pulse and propulsion to come through isn't easy... and that's why it's GREAT practice

Tommo, you make feel great about playing my Eastman. Yours sounds sweet as honey, as Lawson-Stone aptly pointed out. I've been experimenting with mic placement with my live amp. Tell me what you all think... sounds underwater for some reason

Last edited by PickingMyEars; 06-18-2021 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a quick one. Now lemme listen. You guys have been busy.

[Edit: accidentally deleted the video and had to upload it again]
    Last edited by John A.; 06-18-2021 at 09:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Busy indeed! Got a chance to do some listening.

TOMMO, really nice feel and perfect tone, imho. Thats the hands at work, not just the equipment.

Triple, I always enjoy the attitude in your playing. You confront every tune head on. Nice lines.

Picking, I liked the first take a lot...the faster tempo pushed you to use a few...I know its probably a dirty word to you, but it's not to me...licks. There, I said it. And they were good ones.

Not sure what's up with your second take, maybe it's my phon÷, but im getting all sorts of static and I think the SoundCloud player is skipping or something, because I'm hearing two clicks sometimes and the time of the metronome is waaaay off...honestly, as an exercise that seems a bit masochistic anyway

Ron, another really nice take from you. You swing, flat out, and your time is excellent.

John, I liked that...the octaves on the melody set the stage for a snappy, kind of funky take. I always dig your fast bits, in pocket and they're always interesting, not just fast to be fast.

Rag, this seems like the kind of tune you'd hate, so I was pleased to hear what sounded like you getting in to it. Melodic as always...you could sing everything you play...always a good thing.

Now I need to see if I missed anyone.