The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 136

User Info Menu

I don't know what you're talking about.

You depend too much on what others think. Go off and study your bebop lines. Don't worry about me, I'm not worth it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't know what you're talking about.
    Yes I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Yes I know.
    No, you don't actually.

Bebop lines. Now!

User Info Menu

No, you don't actually.

Bebop lines. Now!
    I did it 6 years ago.
    This is the way I work.
    The piano is not well played, the bass is functional and the saxophone plays line.
    Kind of be bop but not so.

You will say you don't hear the changes.
    My goal is to play the guitar the way I play the saxophone (I don't think I am a good saxophonist but I know what I do that's the more important thing).
    There, I was working on double time feeling.

Don't forget I am not a parrot and I don't need a team.
    But understand it makes me mad when you repeat yourself without reading what it's about.
    And judging the others without knowing what they actually do.

It's like if you said : "Lionel, you don't speak French, I don't understand you, let me teach you French !"

Joe Pass was a nice instructor, if you really listen to what he says you'll never need a written chord changes any more to play the blues.
    I doubt you listened to him.

User Info Menu

Lionel, you're a funny guy. If I don't listen, can't play it, and talk nonsense, why are you bothering with me? Go and talk to someone who knows what they're doing, like Graham!

User Info Menu

Wow.

I have enjoyed hearing the different approaches to soloing.

Its hard for me, but I can definitely identify little facets that make the solos different. I am actually recording them so I can pick out what I like.

It is clear to me when it comes to Jazz, my heart is with Bebop styles, although there is definitely also a place for the more earthy, bluesy approach that comes from the more traditional Blues.

Let me get the phone off the charger and start recording. I am very excited by the possibilities for further growth!

User Info Menu

Hey Ragman, kindly delete your horrible soundcloud track in which you bastardised my music by overdubbing my solo with your clunky chords without my permission.

If you don’t, I will report all the posts containing it to Dirk and ask him to remove them. I will also see if I can report it as an infringement to Soundcloud.

You should at least ask people before doing things like this. It’s like Stan Getz’s music being violated by Kenny G, as far as I’m concerned.

User Info Menu

(It is getting a bit hostile in here. I had better head for the backdoor.....!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Deleted since I had you confused with someone else.

Sorry about that chief.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 12-29-2021 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Apologies AlsoRan, I am very happy to contribute whatever I can to this discussion, but I do object to someone mucking about with my recordings without my permission.

In a spirit of positive contribution, here is another blues I found of mine, solo guitar this time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Hey Ragman, kindly delete your horrible soundcloud track in which you bastardised my music by overdubbing my solo with your clunky chords without my permission.

If you don’t, I will report all the posts containing it to Dirk and ask him to remove them. I will also see if I can report it as an infringement to Soundcloud.

You should at least ask people before doing things like this.
    I probably should have, yes, but you understand it was only a demonstration for Lionel done essentially out of admiration of your playing? I was showing him how succinctly you were outlining the chords. I also recommended he talked to you because you know the music. If you don't see that, I'm sorry.

You didn't used to be like this. If I was worried about you before all this agro with me kicked off, I certainly am now. What am I supposed to have done?

It’s like Stan Getz’s music being violated by Kenny G, as far as I’m concerned
    It hasn't been violated at all, that's the whole point. It was merely used as an educational tool. Do you really think that it sullied or degraded your music in any way? Of course it didn't, quite the contrary.

It's gone. By the way, Soundcloud would only reject it if it infringed international copyright. I don't think we're quite there yet, do you?

User Info Menu

This is great. Love that it is in a solo guitar context as this is mostly what I try to do around the house.

User Info Menu

I probably should have, yes, but you understand it was only a demonstration for Lionel done essentially out of admiration of your playing? I was showing him how succinctly you were outlining the chords. I also recommended he talked to you because you know the music. If you don't see that, I'm sorry.

You didn't used to be like this. If I was worried about you before all this agro with me kicked off, I certainly am now. What am I supposed to have done?

It hasn't been violated at all, that's the whole point. It was merely used as an educational tool. Do you really think that it sullied or degraded your music in any way? Of course it didn't, quite the contrary.

It's gone. By the way, Soundcloud would only reject it if it infringed international copyright. I don't think we're quite there yet, do you?
    Yes, he speaks the language I speak and understand but he does it very well, better than I.
    I think, he understands what I do, you don't.
    That's the point.
    Man, you act like a moron. Stop it.

OK, you are interesting, you play exactly the same way every tune you can play.
    OK, but don't teach to others what you can't or don't want to understand.

In that I feel guilty, I shouldn't speak to someone who combines arrogance and ignorance with such a talent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    If you really altered someone else's track then that is a hostile act. So yes, please head for the backdoor and ensure you shut it on your way out.

Thanks!
    Not in the least hostile, that's the whole point. I would never alter someone's track. Really, as if I would. Good lord!

Graham seems to be finding grievous fault with me a lot recently and I don't understand it. Something's happened to him and I don't know what it is. I wish I did.

User Info Menu

don't teach to others what you can't or don't want to understand.
    I've always said I don't play bebop and I've never, ever tried to teach it. But I do know music and I'm right in what I tell you. You need to brush up on your lines. It doesn't take a genius to hear that.

Unless you think you're perfect already, that is.

User Info Menu

Unless you didn't understand, this thread is all about be bop.
    Be bop is the language of tonal jazz.
    With be bop, blues became more tonal.
    Cycle of 5ths, tonal substitutions but it stays a blues.
    It's a form like there were during the Baroque Area.
    Be bop, popular music meets tonal music with all its variations, etc.
    That's all.

User Info Menu

It's gone.
    Thankyou.

User Info Menu

Apologies AlsoRan, I am very happy to contribute whatever I can to this discussion, but I do object to someone mucking about with my recordings without my permission.

In a spirit of positive contribution, here is another blues I found of mine, solo guitar this time.
    No need to apologize, but thanks.

I probably should not have joked, anyway. An artist's work is very personal, and I fully understand that.

I do have to say that the lyrical approach that you use was like someone turning on a shining light. When I here that type of playing, for whatever reason, in resonates with me. But, I don't want to praise you to the point of being rude. It is clear that for this type of playing, I can't just think a particular scale. You pull from all the notes on the fretboard.

Thanks, again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    This is great. Love that it is in a solo guitar context as this is mostly what I try to do around the house.
    Thanks! I haven’t listened to this for ages, it sounds to me like I used a mixture of bop lines and blues phrases.

I think Kenny Burrell is a good player to listen to, he always strikes me as quite a bluesy player, whatever the context.

User Info Menu

No need to apologize, but thanks.

I probably should not have joked, anyway. An artist's work is very personal, and I fully understand that.

I do have to say that the lyrical approach that you use was like someone turning on a shining light. When I here that type of playing, for whatever reason, in resonates with me. But, I don't want to praise you to the point of being rude. It is clear that for this type of playing, I can't just think a particular scale. You pull from all the notes on the fretboard.

Thanks, again.
    That’s ok, I knew what you meant. And thanks for your comments. Maybe I’ll try and pull together some ideas about how I play this stuff. (I don’t think about scales much either!)

User Info Menu

I think Kenny Burrell is a good player to listen to, he always strikes me as quite a bluesy player, whatever the context.
    That reminds me, I also did Work Song which was inspired by Kenny Burrell’s solo version.

User Info Menu

S
    You are "upping the ante" (raising the stakes or raising the performance level, for you friends in other lands) with the chord work that you threw in. The ultimate level of performance in my opinion.

But, I can't let myself get seduced by the glow and I must stay the course. If I can get the lines to flow like this, and will then feel more free to try including some chord fragments. I still have to invoke the name of that former forum member "Targuit," and I can see why he just gushed over your playing. I somehow seem to remember him attacking you at some point before the relationship was done, but it nevertheless clear that his admiration was genuine. Oh, the memories on this forum...

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm back, I don't know why I do this, I wanted to play a blues.
    I'm not a guitarist, so you won't appreciate.
    Don't laugh, I'm just trying.

In fact, I think I repeat all the time the same phrases or quite.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm back, I don't know why I do this, I wanted to play a blues.
    I'm not a guitarist, so you won't appreciate.
    Don't laugh, I'm just trying.

In fact, I think I repeat all the time the same phrases or quite.
    You are much farther along than I am Lionelsax. You have a nice flow of ideas that keeps coming.

Buduranus2 reminds me of Pat Martino meeting BB King, with great tone. Ragman sounded like an almost "folksey" approach that reminds me a little of some good country blues, although it is probably the acoustic guitar that is making me feel this way. Grahambop has that bebop-type language just flowing that way I have heard some from some of the Jazz greats. It really lights up my ears.

In my humble opinion, if you keep playing, you will be very proficient as well because you will have more and more vocabulary. But even now, you could go on a stage around here and play with a band.

I am going to go back and see that Joe Pass video you posted. Thanks.

Happy New Year to you all!

User Info Menu

You are much farther along than I am Lionelsax. You have a nice flow of ideas that keeps coming.

Buduranus2 reminds me of Pat Martino meeting BB King, with great tone. Ragman sounded like an almost "folksey" approach that reminds me a little of some good country blues, although it is probably the acoustic guitar that is making me feel this way. Grahambop has that bebop-type language just flowing that way I have heard some from some of the Jazz greats. It really lights up my ears.

In my humble opinion, if you keep playing, you will be very proficient as well because you will have more and more vocabulary. But even now, you could go on a stage around here and play with a band.

I am going to go back and see that Joe Pass video you posted. Thanks.

Happy New Year to you all!
    Thanks for your comment, It's been a year I tried to plays solos on the guitar. Although I've played the guitar for decades, I couldn't play in a jazz style, just pop songs, blues, a little bit of jazz comping.
    The instrument that helped me to learn the neck is the electric bass (I learnt how to play walking basses, that's why they are chromatic motions in my playing), before that, I used to play with positions, only with positions.
    I'm learning step by step to play more naturally as if it were a saxophone.
    I also use a looper and have gigs with that, two months ago I went to a jam session as a "guitarist" and it was cool.
    Now because of Covid, they do nothing anymore.
    Thanks for listening.