The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34
    The Sloninsky Thesaurus of Scales was big favorite of Frank Zappa and John Coltrane. This material can be applied to many styles of music. You could say it is a mathmatical approach to scale organization.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Pokadots and Moonbeams by Tom Giacabetti Some really Great Contrary motion in this masterful chord solo!

User Info Menu

Hello Steve !
    concerning the mix between E pent maj and Bb pent min,I see only one use : on a dominant chord.
    By ex,on C7 :
    E pent maj does give b9 3 11+ 5 + 7
    Bb pent min does give b7 b9 9+ 11 5

On which other harmonies should this mix apply?
    cheers
    EmilP

Scott McGill Developing Picking Skills
    Last edited by steve burchfield; 07-05-2021 at 06:59 AM. Reason: label

Quote Originally Posted by emilp
    hello steve !
    Concerning the mix between e pent maj and bb pent min,i see only one use : On a dominant chord.
    By ex,on c7 :
    E pent maj does give b9 3 11+ 5 + 7
    bb pent min does give b7 b9 9+ 11 5

on which other harmonies should this mix apply?
    Cheers
    emilp
    I think you are correct thanks for watching!!! Steve Burchfield
    Last edited by steve burchfield; 07-05-2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: label

User Info Menu

What you are doing on the video is not clear for me.
    Bb min pentat and E maj pentat are a tritone apart.
    When you speak over one semi-tone below the two pentatonics,you refer certainly over positions of certain strings on the fretboard.
    To be clear,could you precise the neighbours positions you use?

Bbmin pentat position 1 is in relationship with Emaj pentat position « x »
    Bb min pentat position 2 is in relationship with Emaj pentat position « x »
    And so for position 3,4,and 5

thanks
    emilP
    Last edited by emilP; 07-07-2021 at 06:03 AM.

You would be better off contacting Scott McGill to understand his teaching. He live in England and offers Skype lessons and also has contact info on You Tube. I believe MTS Tyre maybe is a way to reach him over the internet. He used to teach at the Academy of Contemporary Music in London. They could probably help you reach him. Thanks for asking.

More about Scott McGill and his teaching at ACM in London. Their address is available by internet. That should help you. I believe he makes his living teaching and welcomes new students.

User Info Menu

Hello Steve

I find personally that is easier to mix two combined minor pentatonics for dominant chords one at the b7 and one at the b9 of the name of the chord( equivalent to a major pentatonic at the major third)

On C7 : Bb min pentat + Db min pentat au lieu de Bb min pentat + E major pentat,as Scott Mc Gill shows in his video

cheers
    emilP