The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 115

User Info Menu

Over the next 2 weeks, we'll be looking at two very important forms we've kind of neglected to cover so far.

So this week:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-1622684831092-jpg

So this is a little different. Any key, any form, feel free to double and triple dip.

Next week we'll cover a very closely related style, the (blank) in (blank) n blues.

Why? Well, 2 reasons.

1. This will give me time to reset and come up with a new order of calling tunes. So if you'd like to call another, please PM me, and I'll create a calendar.

2. These accessible forms will hopefully invite even more folks in, and we can get back to what this "jam" was always supposed to be about-- just improvising.

So this week, a chorus or two or seven of blues. Minor blues...major blues...3 chord blues...blues with a ton of ii V's...Parker blues...3/4 blues....blues with a bridge...whatever. Let's discuss favorite changes and approaches.

Have fun, post often, and definitely keep PickingMyEars' idea of building off previous posts for 2nd and 3rd takes. Keep it simple, more takes is better than working out arrangements. No heads even necessary this week.

I'll kick us off with a video I recorded recently, Curtis Fuller's "Hugore," trying to stay true to Curtis' original solo and staying pretty much in the confines of an octave and a half.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I felt like playing, but wasn't in the mood to hunt down a backing track, so here's a quick one.

User Info Menu

Good idea. I don’t think I understand the distinction between weeks 1 and 2.

Nice take. Mr. B, You always sound bluesy, and surprising no one, it’s even more apparent when playing a blues. I always like to hear how different players move between blues and bop lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Superb start into this week's topic, Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I felt like playing, but wasn't in the mood to hunt down a backing track, so here's a quick one.

Love it John! I will pick up on your clip and record my (first) post without any backing.

Sorry to have not participated for the last two weeks - in the "This I Dig Of You" week I was too busy working on some other stuff and then I had a week of being extremely un-motivated and uninspired and couldn't find much joy in playing.
    "Afternoon In Paris" is such a nice tune and chord progression though that I probably will do a late entry.

Good to have official permission for multiple entries since I'd call myself a blues player at heart...

Looking forward to an interesting week of clips and discussions.
    Last edited by TOMMO; 06-04-2021 at 04:04 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Been away from the last few threads, cause i 'm trying to get an acoustic cd recorded next week and spending a lot of time on that.. But here's a jazz clip with my Elferink

and here's an electric version with a strat

User Info Menu

Jeff and John, superb cuts! I’m curious what next week is, I haven’t figured out from the clue yet but it’s early and I’m at work. I was thinking there hasn’t been a rhythm changes yet has there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Jeff and John, superb cuts! I’m curious what next week is, I haven’t figured out from the clue yet but it’s early and I’m at work. I was thinking there hasn’t been a rhythm changes yet has there?
    Thanks, Cap'n Trips!

Hint: R & B is an abbreviation of what two terms? (Further hint: you guessed it)

User Info Menu

Alter - there's no answer to that.

User Info Menu

John, GREAT time...could really hear the drums in my head.

Alter, I loved both takes...and the tone of that Elferink!

This is going to be a fun week. I think I'll take on a minor blues for my next go...

User Info Menu

John, GREAT time...could really hear the drums in my head.

Alter, I loved both takes...and the tone of that Elferink!

This is going to be a fun week. I think I'll take on a minor blues for my next go...
    Thanks Jeff. Your take was great. Perfect phrasing, great feel and groove. Very GG.

Alter: Both of those takes were fantastic. I really dig your Strat tone. May I ask what kind that is, and what amp you're using?

I'll try to lay down something with a backing track tonight with a little more groove to it. If it doesn't violate the rules, I can also post a blues blues original I did recently, just for shits and giggles (no jazz musicians were harmed in the making of that track ...).

User Info Menu

Originals are fine! Just don't go posting "Wave"

User Info Menu

Originals are fine! Just don't go posting "Wave"

Don't say I didn't warn you ...

User Info Menu

Alter: Both of those takes were fantastic. I really dig your Strat tone. May I ask what kind that is, and what amp you're using?
    Thanks! It's an standard american made stratocaster, around 1998 i think, but a very good one! (that's why i never managed to find a better left handed one, so i still play that one upside down.. )
    There's no amp, i'm using a Boss GT-1 (princeton model + reverb) going direct.

User Info Menu

Well that was fun! Dude, you sound like Kim Wilson!

User Info Menu

Backing track by Oily Wrag

User Info Menu

Things Ain’t What They Used to Be in F

All critiques welcome. I hope to post another later in the week with an added element.

User Info Menu

Here's a Blues in 6. It's a Larry Young tune called Tyrone off the fantastic Into Somethin' album with Grant Green on guitar.
    Probably dedicated to Tyrone Washington the tenor sax player.
    Been busy with a project with my original tunes, fun to be back and post some stuff.
    I used a looper for rhythm purposes.

User Info Menu

I took some time to listen and there's alot of cool playing here!

Jeff, I would take a whole album of you playing blues like that!

John nice solo take and what a surprise on your other take! Nice singing, wish I could do that!

Alter, I'm totally impressed with your phrasing and creativity among other elements!

Triple Jazz, nice energy and I like your use of chords in your solo!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Man, we're touching on a bunch of great styles already! Awesome.

Vladan and Rag, really enjoyed your two very different, but equally moody takes on a minor blues.

Ron and Triple, you guys picked 2 of my favorite tunes ever! I love the feel on both of these. Triple, you got a nice snap in there and your swinging hard...and Ron you're nailing that loping 6/8 feel of the original. Great stuff.

User Info Menu

This is gratuitously long, but had some fun with it.

User Info Menu

I was working on something else that wasn't sounding so good, so I took a break and went cruising on youtube for jazz minor blues backing tracks. That turned out to be kind of slim pickings, but I found this one, which seemed ideal for something, uh, not subtle.

User Info Menu

And they say New York isn’t a blues town...

(Do they say that?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    And they say New York isn’t a blues town...

(Do they say that?)
    I don't know if people say that, but it's not far from the truth. There are blues players and fans, and jams here and there, but no real blues clubs anymore, and that's pre-COVID.
    Last edited by John A.; 06-05-2021 at 07:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Great to hear a full song complete with vocals. Love it!