The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 115 of 115

User Info Menu

Quite nice pauln Hope to hear more from you. For videos, should you want to post one, what I do is just play the backing over the stereo, plug a guitar into an amp and point the phone cam at my guitar. Easy.
    Last edited by Peter C; 06-12-2021 at 02:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Here is my very first ever attempt at recording into my computer from about 15 years ago. The backing track only had two verses so I switched pickups from the first to the second for testing the sounds. Apologies that nearing the end of the second verse I realized I had not played up high yet, so kind of bailed and made a hasty awkward traverse up to the dusty frets to hear those... But this was my first, still kind of like it.
    Sounds like some Otis Rush stuff. Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Quite right, it definitely helps. Nicely played, by the way

Just got back to this thread and took my time listening to the ones that I missed.

Rags, you just about brought a tear to my eye, man. You would do well at one of the local Baptist Churches, singing a Bluesy hymn!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Allow me to post two more entries recorded this afternoon:

I'm open to any comments, critique and suggestions as always.
    Alright Tommo. What the heck amp are your playing through with the ES-175 looking guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Alright Tommo. What the heck amp are your playing through with the ES-175 looking guitar?
    No amp at all. Going direct into a Tascam GT guitar trainer that plays a CD with the backing track that you can balance with the guitar's volume and from there direct into the line in of my ZOOM camera. It takes only about five minutes to set up and be ready to record. Guitar is an Eastman AR 372 CE btw.

User Info Menu

Here is my very first ever attempt at recording into my computer from about 15 years ago. The backing track only had two verses so I switched pickups from the first to the second for testing the sounds. Apologies that nearing the end of the second verse I realized I had not played up high yet, so kind of bailed and made a hasty awkward traverse up to the dusty frets to hear those... But this was my first, still kind of like it.
    Paul - people are saying they've heard this but I can't see any link at all. Have you removed it?

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-pauln-missing-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Paul - people are saying they've heard this but I can't see any link at all. Have you removed it?

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-pauln-missing-jpg
    It’s still there, post no. 100 with an MP3 attached. That screenshot doesn’t look right (post no. 0?)

User Info Menu

Resolved. Very nice, very blues :-)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    No amp at all. Going direct into a Tascam GT guitar trainer that plays a CD with the backing track that you can balance with the guitar's volume and from there direct into the line in of my ZOOM camera. It takes only about five minutes to set up and be ready to record. Guitar is an Eastman AR 372 CE btw.
    I was afraid you would say something like this.

It never ceases to amaze me many of you are able to have such heavenly tone (at least to my ears) without an amp. I guess you are basically "mastering" and fine tuning your tone through those music recording software programs and any associated pedals you might be using.

The days are long gone when you could buy the same guitar and amp and be able to just about reproduce another guitarist's tone that you might like.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I guess you are basically "mastering" and fine tuning your tone through those music recording software programs and any associated pedals you might be using.
    Not in my case - just plugging into the Tascam on a clean setting with no effects or modelling - just a touch of reverb, so it's the pure guitar.

User Info Menu

I was afraid you would say something like this.

It never ceases to amaze me many of you are able to have such heavenly tone (at least to my ears) without an amp. I guess you are basically "mastering" and fine tuning your tone through those music recording software programs and any associated pedals you might be using.

The days are long gone when you could buy the same guitar and amp and be able to just about reproduce another guitarist's tone that you might like.

Thanks.
    I do almost no mastering on my takes. I usually use one of two methods. I prefer to play the backing track through a sound system so I can hear it "live" while playing the guitar through an amp, also "live." The amp is ether mic'd or if it has a direct line out, I use that into the ProSonus Audiobox, and from there to my laptop, which is what I also use to take the video.

The other method is to put the backing track direct into one channel of the ProSonus, and plug the guitar in the BruteEQ pedal and into the ProSonus, from thence to the laptop.

I adjust each channel so it doesn't clip. The resulting video file, backing on left, guitar on right, I send to a program I normally use to create video lectures, called ScreenFlow. It gives you a lot of control over things. I just adjust the audio so the backing/guitar balance is right, then center both audio tracks, add a title screen, and I'm done.

The tone, such as it is, on my clips does not involve any tweaking other than adjusting levels.

User Info Menu

Amazing how hard it is to plays when you actually have the blues...

Next time, I best ask them to write an Rx for some Howlin Wolf instead!

The backing track is really fun if you want some pep in your step:

User Info Menu

One more, funky duck style...

User Info Menu