The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 115

User Info Menu

Trying to comment in everything here, but there's a lot and am sure I've missed some.

Rpj: yeah, thanks for breaking the Bird Blues ice there. Great feel and tone.

Lawson: great job harmonizing your lines. Nice shirt, too.

Peter C: cool stuff. How's the brown acid?

Jeff: great take of a great tune.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great flow on that second take, Jeff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Peter C: cool stuff. How's the brown acid?
    Never went to Woodstock, too young
    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-me-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've never worked up the nerve to try playing over the Blues-for-Alice changes. One thing I enjoy about the blues is you can be linear, not always chase the changes, but BfA seems to need more playing the changes, and I often then lose the sense of unity that the blues form has.

But now I think I need to give it a try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I've never worked up the nerve to try playing over the Blues-for-Alice changes. One thing I enjoy about the blues is you can be linear, not always chase the changes, but BfA seems to need more playing the changes, and I often then lose the sense of unity that the blues form has.

But now I think I need to give it a try.
    In a way, it's easier. The extra chords give you more structure. That is, they sort of tell you which notes to play.

The key to it is to be able to feel the changes. Best thing for that is repetition.

But, that gets boring, so I thought of this, in case it's helpful to anyone.

Play a chorus in whole notes except as noted, as follows.

Blues For Alice in F major

Bar Note
    1 F
    2 Bb A (half notes)
    3 G F (half notes)
    4 Eb (this is a very important one, because it leads you to the IV chord)
    5 D
    6 Db
    7 C
    8 B
    9 Bb (this is another place you anchor to the progression, since it follows three bars of interpolation)
    10. Bb
    11 A Ab (half notes)
    12 G Gb (half notes)

Then, I played a solo using only those notes and the note an octave higher. I tried to add interest by playing interesting rhythmic ideas.

Then I added the third above the note. For the D, I went up a minor third (because D is already the third of the Bb chord).

By then, the changes may be sinking in. At that point, you scat sing and, when you scat a line you like, put it on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    12 bar Blews
    9 variations (matrix of 3 chord patterns x 3 solos)

(Click on picture will redirect you to my blog page)

Well done, Vladan. Funny how Billie's Bounce sounds really square over the standard Blues progression.

User Info Menu

Right, so I didn't quite succeed in derailing the thread

As an apology, here is one more minor blues that I improvised last night with a little help from my looper. As to the backing tracks, well maybe next week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Never went to Woodstock, too young
    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-me-jpg

Nor I, for the same reason, but kept the spirit alive (and my shoes on)

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-10404913_10152447334018419_6537857568333665606_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Hey, it was either shoes or guitar strings. Dude on the bench in your pic is either spaced out or passed out. LOL.

User Info Menu

Great minds think alike!
    Attachment 82213
    Can this be the same person? Unlikely, but....

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-lawson2-jpgJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-lawson1-jpg

You look so cool, almost unrecognizable if one (like me) only knows you from your videos.

Next time you record, wear this outfit, take this pose, smile like this, and keep it while playing....

Cool man!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Can this be the same person? Unlikely, but....

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-lawson2-jpgJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-lawson1-jpg

You look so cool, almost unrecognizable if one (like me) only knows you from your videos.

Next time you record, wear this outfit, take this pose, smile like this, and keep it while playing....

Cool man!!!!
    But literally NOBODY on the thread smiles while playing. Everyone has the slack-face thing going on.

User Info Menu

But literally NOBODY on the thread smiles while playing. Everyone has the slack-face thing going on.
    Yes - we should change that...

User Info Menu

That‘s why I don‘t do videos JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

There's no way I could intentionally smile while playing...I'd have to spend all my energy thinking about it.

Parker blues tips, for anyone wanting to try one.

1. Pare it down to one chord per bar. Every ii V becomes a ii, or a V, but not both.

2. Play through the changes to targets...good news....it's still a blues, your targets haven't moved.

3. Nail the unique stuff. The III7 in the second bar...the IV to iv...

4. When in doubt, blues stuff still works. Maybe not BB King, but all jazz blues vocab will still fit, if you're a little careful.

5. If you get really stuck, play the melody of Wave.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    T

5. If you get really stuck, play the melody of Wave.
    Ah, the gift that keeps on giving!

User Info Menu

Last edited by kris; 06-09-2021 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quiet afternoon today. This kept me amused for a while. Well, it's definitely bloos.

I don't laugh any more, makes my face ache

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Well done, Vladan. Funny how Billie's Bounce sounds really square over the standard Blues progression.
    Thank you. Yes, almost like some Country and Western.
    Meaning in context ...

My Band camp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Quiet afternoon today. This kept me amused for a while. Well, it's definitely bloos.

I don't laugh any more, makes my face ache
    This sounds very good, with a lot of feeling.

User Info Menu

I like my pies fried.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I like my pies fried.

I knew something had been missing from this thread... now it's there. Just wonderful. I love me some bebop-flavored blues.

User Info Menu

I like my pies fried.

Superb, Graham! I once learned the head and revisited it the last couple of days - love that tune. May I ask where your backing track comes from?

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, yes I’ve always loved this tune with its off-centre rhythms and perfectly engineered chords - Wes wrote great tunes for guitarists to play. Steve Khan’s book has some of them fully notated, I may have learned it from there, can’t remember now.

The backing is BIAB - I think it took me as long to programme the damn thing to play it properly, as it did for me to learn the tune! (I learned the tune and set it up some years ago.)

User Info Menu

The backing is BIAB - I think it took me as long to programme the damn thing to play it properly, as it did for me to learn the tune!
    I can feel your pain - with all the stop time stuff and that interlude before the form starts there musta been a lot of extra work. Extra thanks for the chord fingerings/shapes in bar 9 (Db9 - C9#5 - B13) - much easier to finger than what Wolf Marshall has transcribed in his book!

User Info Menu

Here is my very first ever attempt at recording into my computer from about 15 years ago. The backing track only had two verses so I switched pickups from the first to the second for testing the sounds. Apologies that nearing the end of the second verse I realized I had not played up high yet, so kind of bailed and made a hasty awkward traverse up to the dusty frets to hear those... But this was my first, still kind of like it.
    Attached Files Attached Files