The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 115

User Info Menu

Hi guys, lots going on right now. At least I didn't have to rehearse this beforehand, but rough and ready as usual. First one is a swing blues and the second basically a nostaglia kick for how I was playing at 16 (it's loud).

Last edited by Peter C; 06-06-2021 at 04:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Peter C, that made me smile

I grew up listening to my dad's favorite artists, including John Coltrane and CREAM!

Cream and the Allman Brothers got me to check out BB King, Howlin' Wolf, TBone Walker, John Lee Hooker, Albert Collins.

Your take sent me right back to the beginning of high school, where I was rediscovering the kings and queens of the blues after listening to whatever was considered popular at the time. Emo? Screamo? Who knows.

I went down to the crossroads...

User Info Menu

Nice swing Jeff, sounding straight out of the 50/60s.

That's great, John A. Ode to NY. (1st clip).

What a superb blues feel Alter! Vocabulary for days, too (I didn't watch either clip to the end)

Always interesting Ronstuff.

Too many clips to comment on all of them.

Thanks for your feedback PickingMyEars!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Technical question to those who use backing tracks from iReal: how do you record guitar and backings? I've got iReal and Cubasis on my iPad, but I haven't quite found out how to record the two sources together AND listen to the backing trak during recording. Hints and/or alternatives welcome.

User Info Menu

Ireal can export the backing into mp3 or wav, and share it if you like. I just do that and then pick it up from the phone folder, copy it on the pc and drop it in Reaper. That or just connecting the phone to the soundcard and having ireal play.

User Info Menu

Alter's method is better than what I've been doing.

I use an old phone to playback the IReal track through a kb amp.

Then I plug into my guitar amp.

Then, I use my new phone to make a video. The phone uploads it to my youtube channel. I copy the url into the clipboard (Windows) and paste into this thread.

Simple and direct, without all that irritating attention to quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Technical question to those who use backing tracks from iReal: how do you record guitar and backings? I've got iReal and Cubasis on my iPad, but I haven't quite found out how to record the two sources together AND listen to the backing trak during recording. Hints and/or alternatives welcome.
    I will usually turn the drums in iReal all the way down and export a bunch of choruses—enough for 7-10 minutes—with either just bass or bass with keys to wav files. Then I import the bass or bass/keys track into a new Logic session with the same tempo as the iReal track. A long time ago I imported a bunch of drum patterns from Drum Genius into Logic as Apple Loops, which allows you to change the tempo of the drum patterns without much degradation in sound quality as long as the tempos aren’t wildly different. So I’ll find a suitable drum pattern that is close to the correct tempo and drag that into the session. Then I record my improv in Logic with my iPhone recording video. Send the video to my laptop, import the video into Logic, sync the audio tracks in Logic to the video, export to QuickTime, find the best take, snip that out, and send to YouTube. It was a real pain in the ass to figure it all out, and I’m sure eyes will glaze over reading all that, but now I can crank through it really quickly and it’s really no big deal. There’s a noticeable increase in quality, but frankly I enjoy the production aspect of it. If you don’t enjoy messing with DAWs, you can get a pretty decent sound just recording with a phone in the room.

User Info Menu

For one of the tunes, I started with IRealPro and exported into Musescore. I then did some editing in MuseScore and exported to Reaper. I had trouble exporting MIDI from MuseScore to Reaper. I need to learn more about how Reaper handles MIDI. Mp3 export was easier, but MuseScore added some milliseconds of blank space at the beginning of the file, which had to be deleted for the metronome click to line up properly.

I ended up replacing everything but the drums. I guess I could have gone directly from IRealPro to Reaper, but going to MuseScore allowed me to see the chart of the IRealPro tracks in standard notation, which I appreciated, although my edits didn't make it into the final version iirc.

I added bass, two guitars (comp and melody) and percussion (shaker and rebolo, a Brazilian drum).

Rendered as mp3. Uploaded to SoundClick and copied the url.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    A long time ago I imported a bunch of drum patterns from Drum Genius into Logic as Apple Loops
    How did you do that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    How did you do that?
    Barry Greene made a video showing how he imports the loops into Ableton. It’s been few years since I did it, so I don’t recall all the details, but I do remember that I watched BG’s video and basically translated his Ableton process into Logic. It’s a pain the butt so I only imported 10 or so loops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Sounds great, Tommo. Great feel on Chitlins, and West Coast Blues is a really tricky tune that you breezed through. Well done.
    Thank you for the kind words, John.

More good stuff from Peter and rp - enjoyed it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Barry Greene made a video showing how he imports the loops into Ableton. It’s been few years since I did it, so I don’t recall all the details, but I do remember that I watched BG’s video and basically translated his Ableton process into Logic. It’s a pain the butt so I only imported 10 or so loops.
    It was this one:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It was this one:

Ah, so you record the loops one at a time in real time. I was hoping there was some sort of drag and import.

User Info Menu

12 bar Blews
    9 variations (matrix of 3 chord patterns x 3 solos)

(Click on picture will redirect you to my blog page)

User Info Menu

Holy crap, life would get in the way of me playing much guitar for the last 5 days or so...during what should be my favorite week ever. Luckily, you all are holding it down...so much to comment on...I'll try and hit everybody at least once, so much to listen to...and I'm hoping I'll have 10 minutes today to throw another video in...

Xavier, welcome to the jam. Really liked hearing an acoustic, delta kind of blues with more "jazz" changes. Totally works, and sounds great. Also LOVE that guitar.

John, speaking of acoustic blues, that was a lot of fun. Always good to see more proof that a SelMac isn't JUST for playing Django's music (though there's notthing better for it)

Lawson/Heisenberg, you lose points for a white boy blues hat and sunglasses, but your playing makes 'em back up. Laid back and swinging, and the chordal stuff was great. And perfect tone.

wzpgsr, nice touch with the tremolo on "Chitlins," puts in in the mood of the title track on "Midnight Blue." Great pace and tone.

TOMMO: you had a few, gotta comment on your unaccompanied blues, as it was a perfect soundtrack to my coffee this gloomy and humid Chicago morning. So nice to hear a player with great intonation on their bends...makes all the difference.

Rag: Definitely heard some Pentangle/Bert Jansch in that vocal, which I absolutely love. That style is very YOU.

Peter C, yeah--you know all the different shades of blue and how to color with them. Great takes.

Vladan, fun idea taking different choruses in different styles...that's deceptively hard, to mix it up like that. Good job.

Finally, RP-- there we go! Somebody trying a "Parker Blues." That's gonna be my inspiration for today...I'm gonna do my favorite "Parker Blues changes" tune, Tommy Flanagan's "Freight Train."

(And I still want to do Footprints if a get a chance, unless somebody else wants to jump in on that one?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Lawson/Heisenberg, you lose points for a white boy blues hat and sunglasses, but your playing makes 'em back up. Laid back and swinging, and the chordal stuff was great. And perfect tone.
    The hats and such are totally about not taking myself too seriously! Thanks for the encouragement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The hats and such are totally about not taking myself too seriously! Thanks for the encouragement.
    I'm definitely kidding. Hell, I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt today...if I get a chance to record, I got the biggest white boy blues cliche on!

User Info Menu

I'm definitely kidding. Hell, I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt today...if I get a chance to record, I got the biggest white boy blues cliche on!
    Great minds think alike!
    Attachment 82213
    Attached Images Attached Images JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues-img_0149-jpg 

User Info Menu

Xavier, welcome to the jam. Really liked hearing an acoustic, delta kind of blues with more "jazz" changes. Totally works, and sounds great. Also LOVE that guitar.
    Thank so much! And the guitar is fantastic. One of those old German guitars, so there you have it, a totally pastiche approach to the blues: delta blues style, jazz changes, German guitar JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The BluesJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The BluesJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 21) - The Blues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

TOMMO: you had a few, gotta comment on your unaccompanied blues, as it was a perfect soundtrack to my coffee this gloomy and humid Chicago morning. So nice to hear a player with great intonation on their bends...makes all the difference.
    Thanks for the nice words, Jeff.

Great minds think alike!
    Attachment 82213
    Great to see you with a smile for a change - great outfit as well!

User Info Menu

While we are on the blues, I always enjoy discovering new "blues heads." When I first heard Royce Campbell at a live gig in my area play "Bessie's Blues" I was delighted. I'd never heard the tune, liked it a lot, and it's changes are a bit of a throw-back, i.e. V7 IV7 I7 in the 3rd line instead of the more common (in jazz) ii-V7-I7. Anyhow, that one has become a favorite, and you don't get many blues heads in Eb!

What some other lesser known, but fun blues heads, perhaps in keys other than the usual?

User Info Menu

Got a few minutes after work, so here's Tommy Flanagan's "Freight Train." Parker blues in Ab.

User Info Menu

Got a few minutes after work, so here's Tommy Flanagan's "Freight Train." Parker blues in Ab.

That's really nice! Love the sound you're getting from the Telecaster, too.

Hawaiian shirt just makes it classy!

User Info Menu

While we are on the blues, I always enjoy discovering new "blues heads." When I first heard Royce Campbell at a live gig in my area play "Bessie's Blues" I was delighted. I'd never heard the tune, liked it a lot, and it's changes are a bit of a throw-back, i.e. V7 IV7 I7 in the 3rd line instead of the more common (in jazz) ii-V7-I7. Anyhow, that one has become a favorite, and you don't get many blues heads in Eb!

What some other lesser known, but fun blues heads, perhaps in keys other than the usual?
    A couple of my favorites are "Blues for Pat" by Josh Redman and "I'll Drink to That" by Jimmy Smith.