The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I like the make your own backing approach. It gives a more individualized sound and we get to hear the player's approach to comping. Ragman has a consistent artistic approach which I like.
    Thank you. I suppose the bottom line is it works for me so I stick to it. Somebody called it reliable :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Fun tune, deceptively tough. Had a few minutes after work today, so here's a first run...I'll definitely need another!
    So good! Listening to your Shind-han-do-wi video on youtube. I think it's time for an LP

User Info Menu

One of the options for the final project of my music/ literature class is to take your favorite song and write 3 paragraphs inspired by the tune. My students have to pay attention to the rhythm of the music/ rhythm of the words, punctuation, tonality, tone, and then some.

Anyway, here was the example that I gave them... it's our tune of the week

Makes you appreciate Mobley's solo even more, I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I do think it's gotta be up a little bit for this song to work.
    So do I. Slowing it down doesn't do it any favors. FWIW, we're going to have a hard job bettering your version. You were certainly going on that one!

PS. I am now off to have a big pizza

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, I wasn't just trying to be controversial.
    I wasn’t quite sure where you were going with it, I for one thought you were being controversial. However, when you put the melody up against a really well composed melody [ like Along Came Betty ; ) ] your point is understood, although it has been correctly described as a blowing tune. The beauty of this song is in the Improvisation, which is why we are all here. When you get the right group together and play this tune and the musicians dig in, this is the most inspiring song to listen to. It has all the glorious aspects one craves in a jam, the pedal drone, the modulation, the up tempo. I’ve seen this tune played with authority by some classic Philly musicians and leave with a dropped jaw every time.

User Info Menu

I had a different reaction to the tune.

I recalled the title and I think I played it a few times 30 or so years ago. But, I didn't really remember the tune itself.

So, I printed out a chart and read through it. I had no idea how it was usually played.

I heard a reggae groove to it, more like 180 bpm. I decided not to listen to any recordings and just see what I could do with it from scratch.

I really like how Mr B, for one, played it. And, if I had chops like that, I probably would do it similarly. But, I don't ... so I'm back to calligraphy. That is, trying to make art with one color and one brush, because I don't have oil paints and a multitude of brushes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars

Good lord

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, I wasn't just trying to be controversial. Having played and listened to it, it seems to be just a vehicle for soloists to display a lot of bebop playing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's an acceptable sound. But in terms of a tune, by which I mean a melody, it's undeniably lame alongside melodies that are instantly recognisable and have aesthetic merit, if I can put it that way.

I hadn't heard the Mobley banter but it appears that's just what I'm saying!

Maybe I just prefer something that resonates with my sense of tunefulness. It doesn't matter, carry on :-)
    I wasn't taking it as controversial. I was just quibbling with "desultory", which means "lacking plan, purpose, or enthusiasm","half-hearted". I don't think it's any of those things. I think it's fair to say it's not an especially brilliant or original composition, and I can understand someone not being into playing it. But I think other adjectives work better for those cases.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

tired to play it at 135..my top speed....think it needs supercharging..see above

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss
    Nice, it was cookin’

User Info Menu

He's young but he'll get better as he gets older.

User Info Menu

Jamming with some unusual wind instruments ...

User Info Menu

Second night with tune using a somewhat bastardized Howard Roberts' Superchops approach—sorry for the lame, home-brew backing track. I am going to try to record something halfway decent at 180 bpm before the week is out, but I like to start slow—started at 70 bpm yesterday, skipped to 120 bpm today.

User Info Menu

Did I hear a song quote at :40 seconds into your take, wzpgrs?

Sounded like an old R&B at that point.

I am focusing on "My Shining Hour" at the moment, because that tune was my assignment for my next private lesson. Maybe I can convince my teacher to play a chorus or two of "This I Dig of You" on his saxophone?

Laid back and full tone as usual, wzpgrs.

I think I'll steal that R&B nod in my next take it.

I'll do the "assignment" if no one else wants to. Still think that we can learn so much more from each other if we put down our keyboards and respond with our guitars.

Gigs and jams are still closed... So I'm still around

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Did I hear a song quote at :40 seconds into your take, wzpgrs?

Sounded like an old R&B at that point.

I am focusing on "My Shining Hour" at the moment, because that tune was my assignment for my next private lesson. Maybe I can convince my teacher to play a chorus or two of "This I Dig of You" on his saxophone?

Laid back and full tone as usual, wzpgrs.

I think I'll steal that R&B nod in my next take it.

I'll do the "assignment" if no one else wants to. Still think that we can learn so much more from each other if we put down our keyboards and respond with our guitars.

Gigs and jams are still closed... So I'm still around
    Man, if there’s a quote there it just bubbled up on its own.

Yeah, that R&B sort of sound...been thinking a lot about how my own roots playing blues-based music gets totally wiped out when I start “playing jazz”—a sure sign that I have been paying too much attention to concepts like “chord tones” and “approach notes” and “chromaticism” and not just making simple melodies with interesting rhythms. I’m glad that made its way into my playing tonight and that you noticed it—it was much intentional, so thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Second night with tune using a somewhat bastardized Howard Roberts' Superchops approach—sorry for the lame, home-brew backing track. I am going to try to record something halfway decent at 180 bpm before the week is out, but I like to start slow—started at 70 bpm yesterday, skipped to 120 bpm today.

Very nice swing feel. I like it!

User Info Menu

So did I. Great feel, really good notes.

User Info Menu

Played around with this last night. I find these changes a lot of fun to blow over. Volume may be low, kiddies were asleep next room over. I did fuse two chorus together of what I liked best.

User Info Menu

Nice playing Jeff! Sounds like you mean business in that take, and the wow at the end is entirely appropriate.

Enjoyed John A's second take, lots of forward motion happening there. What's that, sitting in a genuine NY park sirens an' all? Legend.

User Info Menu

I feel bad that I haven't tried to learn this tune. I read down it a couple times, fired up iRealPro for a backing track, and played a chorus over the changes.

As always, helpful observations and advice are welcome.

Last edited by lawson-stone; 05-26-2021 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I feel bad that I haven't tried to learn this tune. I read down it a couple times, fired up iRealPro for a backing track, and played a chorus over the changes.

Solid take!

User Info Menu

Pushed it tonight up to 184 bpm. Pretty sure I've never tried to play seriously at this tempo before—now I understand why Mr. B yelled at the end of his take!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Pushed it tonight up to 184 bpm. Pretty sure I've never tried to play seriously at this tempo before—now I understand why Mr. B yelled at the end of his take!

I thought your articulation on the first cut was great and on this cut I really dig the lines. One things for sure, you have such great tone on all the takes! I remember reading that super chops thread a while back and not understanding the approach. What are you gleaning from it and how are you using or “bastardizing”?

User Info Menu

Comments on some later takes.

John, if I were waling through that park I'd have to stop and listen. I really like you in that element, it sounds so natural and relaxed. I hope to do a lot of park playing this summer.

TripleJazz, I'm not sure if earlier tunes were just not your bag or what, but while I always enjoyed your posts, this one--man! It just feels like you've made so much progress...your playing sounds less "excited," swings great, interesting lines...really enjoyed your (double)take.

Wzpgsr, speaking of progress, you've made a hell of a lot on this tune as well. I always like your feel and tone too. You don't fight the guitar for sound, you take what it gives naturally and your touch is suited to the instrument. I have so much respect for that, it's what I'm always shooting for...not to have one magical tone in my mind, but to sound good on any guitar I pick up, in any room. And that comes from the hands, not gear.