The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 160 of 160

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Good at theory but can't play a note is kinda the theme of this thread

But thanks for providing an example of yet another guy like that. But who am I to judge .. Have fun doing theory!
    No, I was a leader of a garage band in high school, a music major later, played some classical, blues, dabbled with jazz which is what I am focusing on now with the limited time I have, etc.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I can play the guitar, I took to it quickly actually.

Theory is easy and doesn't take much time, for a well educated person like me, anyway.
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 05-02-2021 at 11:25 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Or is it the "I gave my kid a lexicon and lectured it on grammar, cause we all know that starting with simple phrases or even words is no way to build a vocabulary" thread?

Yes. You can't theoretically tell him that a sentence should have a verb or that a haiku is 5 syllables, then 7 syllables, then 5. He has to figure that out on his own or his creativity will be obliterated. He'd have to go read some Thoreau before he was capable of expressing his own thoughts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55

Yes. You can't theoretically tell him that a sentence should have a verb or that a haiku is 5 syllables, then 7 syllables, then 5. He has to figure that out on his own or his creativity will be obliterated. He'd have to go read some Thoreau before he was capable of expressing his own thoughts.

Yeah .. Well .. It's like speaking English, isn't it.

Apparently it's the same language and the theory behind it is the same, but you're never going to hear anything like this in a US movie.

If you don't immerse yourself in the culture you're not going to be able to communicate properly

User Info Menu

I know. Theory and practical study aren't mutually exclusive.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=djg;1118216]i wrote 16 bars out for you. you should eventually be able to do this on the spot over tunes. 4 on 6 is actually a very good practice tune. it is based on summertime and has a lot of II-Vs where you can apply your two licks.

One of the great things about this forum is the presence of accomplished players giving advice based on their experience! Here I took djg's Tune Up exercise and had a lot of fun.

First time through using IV maj9 over ii-V along with Honeysuckle Rose motif.

Second time through using melody lick from Groovin' High along with HSR

Third time through using a Barry Harris style descending domVII run with ascending arpeggio

Fourth time mixing all three.

I took some liberties with the pickup notes as written in the exercise, and I got a little flubby near the end but at least I made it through!

User Info Menu

that's the spirit! good stuff. and like you say, it is actually fun. i posted a summary in the other thread

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 14) - Tune Up

there you can find more licks to work with. the first satin doll lick is extremely useful since it contains a triplet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    that's the spirit! good stuff. and like you say, it is actually fun. i posted a summary in the other thread

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 14) - Tune Up

there you can find more licks to work with. the first satin doll lick is extremely useful since it contains a triplet.

Thanks! I'll start on another tune (I think you recommended Four on Six) and incorporate that Satin Doll lick. This is a gratifying way to practice, and I appreciate you putting this stuff out there.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Thanks! I'll start on another tune (I think you recommended Four on Six) and incorporate that Satin Doll lick. This is a gratifying way to practice, and I appreciate you putting this stuff out there.
    DJG's exercise sounds so great because it features a prominent feature of the jazz language (the Honeysuckle rose motif). As a beginning player, you will get more out of this than all the combined theory (chord scale) stuff typing that is so prominent here. If you internalise this stuff it is a great building block from which to move on.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    i'm glad you find it enjoyable. good mix with the BH ideas. hornplayers know all about this kind of grind. i think you'll be amazed at your progress, if you stick to this stuff for a decent amount of time.

edit: and dont sleep on the second wes lick on tune up, it has so much forward motion that most of it is over the "wrong chord". i love that.
    Last edited by djg; 05-14-2021 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i'm glad you find it enjoyable. good mix with the BH ideas. hornplayers know all about this kind of grind. i think you'll be amazed at your progress, if you stick to this stuff for a decent amount of time.

edit: and dont sleep on the second wes lick on tune up, it has so much forward motion that most of it is over the "wrong chord". i love that.
    Yeah, about that second lick, when I was learning the exercise, I had to play it at such a pedestrian tempo, that the dissonance was a bit much for me. Now that I have it under my fingers I will revisit it. It certainly shows control and foresight and tension/release when played at tempo. This has been a bit of a revelation for me, so glad the OP started this thread. I will grind on! haha