The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

This week's tune choice is courtesy of TripleJazz

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 15) - Along Came Betty-1619098747861-jpg

Notes from TripleJazz: Here are my thoughts about this tune. It’s a great song from a legendary album. I always love when it comes on and have been inspired for years to try learning it. I started with the head and worked on a chord melody last fall. I’d play along to jam tracks for weeks and just can’t get a good feel to improvise over it. I bring this tune this week as a way to hear others approach and get a variety of samples from this wonderful group of virtual jammers. I look forward to the discussion of the tune.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here’s a cut I did in the shed about 3 weeks ago. I’ve tried a few more cuts recently but they are awful. I hope to hear some great versions and get inspired, then I’ll cut one toward end of week. I have a sheet I can post soon as I get home. Sorry for my poor audio.
    Thanks Mr. B

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Here’s a cut I did in the shed about 3 weeks ago. I’ve tried a few more cuts recently but they are awful. I hope to hear some great versions and get inspired, then I’ll cut one toward end of week. I have a sheet I can post soon as I get home. Sorry for my poor audio.
    Thanks Mr. B

Nice string of lines around the :30 mark, and another short lick I really liked around 1:00. Have you ever tried transcribing yourself? Could be fun and useful to transcribe a chorus of one’s own playing, and sort of massage it so that it’s the best version of what came out during the improv.

User Info Menu

Benny Golson tunes, always a challenge for me...
    I'm reading it here, used to know it better but I haven't checked it in a while.
    The kind of tune I should shed quite a bit more before recording. You get the raw thing here...
    I did get to plug a couple altered type lines I've been working on.
    Good choice Triple Jazz and we are Ibanez Semi-Hollow buddies on this one!

Last edited by Ronstuff; 04-22-2021 at 09:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Great choice of tune.

One where the melody and harmony are so in sync, it feels like you don't need to solo and you aren't going to improve on the melody if you do.

User Info Menu

I'll throw one in too.

Rp hit the nail on the head...you almost have to stay kind of close to the melody.

So speaking of which, Triple, I thought your chord melody was great. Your improvised chorus had lots of good moments too...you can hear how you settle in halfway though...those "minor chords a half step apart" bars are hard...there's not much that sounds right on them other than the melody.

Rp, nice relaxed swinging take. Again I hear you close to the melody , and that sounds "right" to me.

Ron, another great take. Bass playet's groove is undeniable...I can hear how it inspires you to take some chances, because you know he'll hold it down. Thats a great feeling, ain't it?

This should be a great week...this is a great tune, it's not "hard"...but it sure ain't easy, either

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 15) - Along Came Betty-along-came-betty-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'll throw one in too.

This should be a great week...this is a great tune, it's not "hard"...but it sure ain't easy, either
    You found some blues/soul in the tune that I didn't realize was there. Sounded great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Benny Golson tunes, always a challenge for me...
    I'm reading it here, used to know it better but I haven't checked it in a while.
    The kind of tune I should shed quite a bit more before recording. You get the raw thing here...
    I did get to plug a couple altered type lines I've been working on.
    Good choice Triple Jazz and we are Ibanez Semi-Hollow buddies on this one!

Raw was great. You’re onto something cool with that really subtle octave effect, too.

User Info Menu

Possibly the ugliest melody in the world...

User Info Menu

Learn a lot about bebop vocab looking at the head of this one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Possibly one of the dumbest comments in the world...

User Info Menu

I just can't get away from the idea that Betty is about six-two, 350 pounds, and looks like Angelica Houston... but it could be sleep deprivation.

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 15) - Along Came Betty-ugly_betty_s01e01-png

I can't agree that it's "ugly," I think it's great actually, and very catchy...but I do agree it's not "pretty" in the sense of this being a love song...it's not "Along Came Betty and she completed my life." Maybe it's more "Along Came Betty and shit got really interesting."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yes, you can't just read the melody off the lead sheet and expect it to sound right. If you follow the recording and mark all the accents, staccato notes, and phrases and then play it, the melody comes alive with intent.

User Info Menu

Definitely sleep deprivation... should have been Anjelica. Huston.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Hey Christian, can you, briefly explain what you mean by this ?
    ..I really have no idea what I'm asking for here. Thanks and sorry -lol

I'm taking a basic run through the chords, it looks very strange but sounds very nice !
    You guys are doing a great job of making music on this !

Cheers,
    Mike

User Info Menu

Not Christian, but I think he means a few things--

The rhythms, particularly the 8th notes, syncopation, and triplets.

The enclosures on certain melody notes.

And there's some chromaticism in the melody too.

This would be on my short list of songs to play people if they asked me what jazz sounded like.

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone with positive comments and constructive advice. I never really considered what a great tool it would be to follow the melody more while blowing’, I think that’s great advice to follow.

Some awesome clips so far! Here’s a guy who makes this song really sound beautiful.

User Info Menu

A few more for listening:

And rag, I enjoyed hearing you with a track. Good call...this one needs a swinging rhythm section (or at least a damn good bassist)

User Info Menu

I just love the title

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont;[URL="[URL
    tel:1116579[/URL]"]1116579[/URL]]A few more for listening:

[video=youtube_share;zsD7depAGNs]
    You can always count on finding a Pat Martino version of a JGO virtual jam pick

User Info Menu

Sheryl Baily takes possession of this tune

User Info Menu

I suppose I should be more efficient about this and just play a quick chorus instead of the whole tune, but no, I had to learn the head. I had no time at all during the week. I put some time in this afternoon, then finally a chance to record some improvisation this evening.. Tough one, but I like it. It's got that 60s Horace Silver sort of groove and longer form with Golson twists and turns modal concept, but filled with bop-isms. The history of postwar jazz in one one tune. I enjoyed blowing over the form a lot.

TripleSec -- some cool chord moves there and tasty lines there.
    Ron -- Very cool, and great to listen to people actually playing together. Great "self-comping" and harmonization of your lines.
    RP -- yeah, very nice indeed.
    Mr. B -- good energy and ideas. Love the blues licks, and then bopping out at the end.
    Whoa, Rags, you OK man? A backing track? Sounds cool, though.
    Last edited by John A.; 04-25-2021 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

And this is how it's done on our instrument fellas ...