The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 136 of 136

User Info Menu

Thought I would post an example of Tune Up. I'm pretty sloppy... but was quick and almost fun. Not much in the way of jazz... would work in a mixed crowd, could bring up the energy and entertainLOL

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have been sick today, so no video. I made up a melody line for this tune rather than just jam over the changes.
    Still sounds pretty straight
    Last edited by Peter C; 04-24-2021 at 07:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Enjoyed most of Grahambop's take, especially the Martino-esque use of chromatics. (edit: chromaticism is probably a more correct term).

wzpgsr, I think you have a good rhythmic feel.

Nice Reg, more loose than sloppy, I'd say.

I tried to get "nastier" on this track, but it wouldn't let me.
    Last edited by Peter C; 04-26-2021 at 09:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Have been sick today, so no video. I made up a melody line for this tune rather than just jam over the changes.
    Still sounds pretty straight
    Dang, you unloaded some juicy licks there at the end. I like your fast vibrato technique. Some folks can’t make that real fast, unbent vibrato work, but you can.

User Info Menu

Cool wzpgsr, glad you enjoyed it. I'm self-taught, so anything you're hearing there just evolved naturally. That would include the bad habits, too. Way too much treble in the recording and the reverb sounded more like a slap-back echo! Anyway, the backing rack wasn't too shabby, I thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danil
    I could give it a try if nobody else emerges, I've been considering doing this eventually (like bookmarked Bebop Part I – Perpetual Motion Exercises | Jason Lyon on Music and stashed 'Learning the bebop language' by David Baker ).
    I play electric bass or otherwise comp on a guitar. When being asked to improvise nothing good comes out - Tripple_Jazz has quite a head start.
    20-25 minutes per day is probably maximum I can put aside for this, if somebody else is volunteering I will gladly pass, since I've got a lot on my plate already.
    here. i summarized for you what i wrote in the other thread.

an inductive approach to jazz improvisation:

when we study jazz from inside out instead of outside in (inductive vs deductive) we can use trivial licks and very limited material to develop a complex system of improvisation that does justice to the idiom we're trying to play. these licks become our fixed points from where we can move the world. as hal galper says: we need material to study the process.

our study tune is "tune up". our study material is this recording:

we study the two licks from 0:39 to 0:42. loop and slow down this section, and play along until you can play these two licks as close to the original as possible. tempo is not important, they sound good at any speed. Take the progression and play only those two licks wherever possible. the whole tune can be realized with those two licks but you'll have to transpose them. note that wes' version of "tune up" offers an extra ii-V, namely:

Em7 / A7 /Dmaj7 / Ebm7 Ab7 /

music is based on the principle of tension and release. every key has a dominant chord that leads back to the tonic. this is the basic V-I progression. tension-release. in D: A7 Dmaj7

if you want a more subtle build of the tension you can use the IV chord to build up tension going to the V chord. so our more subtle progression is now IV V I.

in D: Gmaj7 A7 Dmaj7.

the IV chord can be replaced with the II chord.

in D: G can be replaced by Em7.

right now, it is not important that you understand why this is, just accept it as a fact. so in D your progression can now also be: Em7 A7 Dmaj7. the classic II-V-I. every good jazz player is a master of II-V movements.

if you want to improvise over the II V I you do not need to spell out every chord. over the II V section you can choose to just play over the Em7 or just the A7. since we have subbed the IV chord with the II chord we can mentally go back and pretend that the IV chord is still there and play over it.

never forget: we improvise over the principle of tension-release. we do *not* improvise over chords.

check out the first lick , you'll find that it is actually a Gmaj lick over Em7 A7. IV chord material played over a II-V. same with the next lick. Gbmaj over Ebm7 Ab7. IV over II-V (it is also basically honeysuckle rose)

here are a few more examples of variations of the same lick. you should be able to recognize it.

2:05 Fmaj7 up and down over Dm7 G7. Gmaj7 up and down over Em7 A7

the very first two licks. Gbmaj7 over Ebm7 Ab7. Bmaj7 over Abm7 Db7

0:09 Gbmaj over Ebm7 Ab7

the two first licks of the melody Ebmaj7 up and down over Cm7

the same lick (i.e. the same structure), played from different starting positions works for *all* chord qualities. it works for m7b5, maj7 and 7alt chords, too, and is used in all these instances by the greats. so all chords become equally easy.

Dm7 G7 E7b9b13 Db7alt Bm7b5 Fmaj7 all can be covered by the same lick E F A C E G, a Fmaj9 arpeggio with the maj7 as a pickup note, listen to the wes montgomery recordings above and search for that sound.

can you figure out what these chords have in common?

they are all tension chords in C/Am. in jazz we improvise over the "function" of the chords and not their names. the sound of Fmaj7 in C is a sound of tension as we've learned.

so we can apply this one tension sound to all the other tension chords below.

Dm7 II in C, IV in Am

G7 V in C

Db7alt tritone sub V in C,

E7b9b13 V in Am

Bm7b5 II in Am

Fmaj7 IV in C

attached:
    two wes licks over the first 16 bars
    1625 in C with our lick filling in for different chord qualities.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by djg; 05-01-2021 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg

Bm7b5 IV in Am

Thanks for that - printed and will work with that. But shouldn't the above quote read "II in Am"? Or are you relating Bm7b5 to Dm6?

User Info Menu

LOL Hey djg, I've been pushing Function for over a decade on this forum. (no one cares or understands)

Nice lesson plan, really, great research etc.... But I doubt anyone would go through all that BS just to memorize a couple of licks. And really doubt anyone would be able to transpose the application of using those licks in context at real time... especially if they don't have their technique together. ( more of a lifetime approach... with low success rate.)

And yea... all the teaching aspects of the language of the approach... are from Chord scales and Harmony. It's almost like... here, this is the way to learn how to play, as long as you have all the other BS together.

Sorry... not trying to rag you, really. I enjoy all of your post. But there is just no real way to skip the boring technical work required to be able to play jazz in real time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    LOL Hey djg, I've been pushing Function for over a decade on this forum. (no one cares or understands)

Nice lesson plan, really, great research etc.... But I doubt anyone would go through all that BS just to memorize a couple of licks. And really doubt anyone would be able to transpose the application of using those licks in context at real time... especially if they don't have their technique together. ( more of a lifetime approach... with low success rate.)

And yea... all the teaching aspects of the language of the approach... are from Chord scales and Harmony. It's almost like... here, this is the way to learn how to play, as long as you have all the other BS together.

Sorry... not trying to rag you, really. I enjoy all of your post. But there is just no real way to skip the boring technical work required to be able to play jazz in real time.
    thanks greg, i'm always impressed how you manage your several careers and still have time for this BS

yea, many think it's just memorizing a couple of licks.

like when scientists reseach atoms and collide particles, i'm sure there are people who think: "how can such small stuff be so important."

User Info Menu

LOL... yea 3 of my uncles were scientists, one at Berkeley or Lawrence synchrotron... the newer cyclotron toy , another at Livermore and one in San Diego... Two have passes away... one has lost his sanity, has like 7 doctorates, he was a major influence in my choice of not to follow in their directions of study.... that and growing up in SF bay area in the 60's.

Sorry... yea becoming aware of and using Function... in Sub fashion, and then expanding one's understanding of organizations of creating Subs....is how I learned how to play, (and use harmony) back in late 60's and early 70's. And the biggest door was... Subdominant movement or function.

The other detail about your summarization of lyon's Bebop motion etc... where was the Blues references. I was taught as kid at gigs that playing bebop was just playing fast swing with Blues. (simple version). The skills of just rhythmically making it work was just that... skills. Still great topic... Just rambling... still waiting for a few of my guitars to get back.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=djg;1118534]here. i summarized for you what i wrote in the other thread.

an inductive approach to jazz improvisation:

"Db7alt tritone sub V in C",

So, our lick has a c natural, but that is the maj7th of Db, so this is confusing to me. (is this a case of the strength of the line trumping the theory?) Also in bar 6 of your 1625 pdf there is a d natural which makes that lick a different shape than all the others in the exercise. Is this a typo?

Thanks for your help,
    Alan