The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 136

User Info Menu

I generally use E-9 / F9#11 / (think Night in Tunisia) then Bb9#11 / A7alt. or the sub Eb9#11

I mean we could get into the analysis thing.... no, sorry.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Just for sh*ts and giggles:

Wow. I've tried many times to master slide guitar. To do it clean, fluent, and JAZZY like that... my hat's off to you.

No sh*t and no giggles, just... Wow.

User Info Menu

John A, kudos for stepping out of your comfort zone, a few gems in there. The sound out of the Cube had me thinking of your other recordings... By the way, I had a free hour this evening and have posted a couple of choruses with a swing backing.

Jeff, just caught your flattop take. Really nice invention going on there and singing tone.

OK Tommo, good for you on the slide! Why not?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Wow. I've tried many times to master slide guitar. To do it clean, fluent, and JAZZY like that... my hat's off to you.
    No sh*t and no giggles, just... Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    OK Tommo, good for you on the slide! Why not?
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

I wanted to do a fast version so I used the Aebersold track, which I think hovers around 240-250 bpm. I don't usually play this fast, so it was quite a challenge. But I did some gradual workouts with a metronome first, and just about managed to get up to speed. I listened to Sonny Rollins' and Sonny Stitt's versions for some inspiration, I even managed to sneak in a couple of quotes from them!

User Info Menu

With both you and Dutchbopper posting today, it's a great day for bebop on the forum!

And your guitar just looks incredible!

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson. My guitar does look quite shiny, I think it was catching the light from a side window. Probably also an advert for Virtuoso polish, I gave it an application about 3 years ago and it still looks good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I wanted to do a fast version so I used the Aebersold track, which I think hovers around 240-250 bpm. I don't usually play this fast, so it was quite a challenge. But I did some gradual workouts with a metronome first, and just about managed to get up to speed. I listened to Sonny Rollins' and Sonny Stitt's versions for some inspiration, I even managed to sneak in a couple of quotes from them!

You sound very comfortable at that tempo, graham - I enjoyed it a lot!

User Info Menu

Thanks Tommo. Funny thing is the video sounds kind of effortless, but in fact my hands felt like they were really tightening up as I played. I need to do more practice at fast tempos really.

User Info Menu

Great take! Nice fast lines and tempo is solid all the way through, but you leave space too. Nicely done.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jeff.

User Info Menu

This tempo is really pushing it for me, but it’s kind of fun to fall off the rails and see where ya land. My main man Dutchbopper inspired me to bust out the ES-125. Love this guitar, but I find it hard to record properly. This is just my iPhone mic. I might post another one tomorrow before the next tune is revealed.

User Info Menu

You sound very comfortable at that tempo, graham - I enjoyed it a lot!
    Thoroughly enjoyed it!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sounding baddass Graham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Nice melodic lines and lots of variety there.

User Info Menu

Sounding baddass Graham
    Thanks Christian.

By the way, here’s the crazy Sonny Stitt version I listened to for inspiration - I would love to play lines like these!

User Info Menu

And the great Sonny Rollins version:

User Info Menu

Thanks Christian.

By the way, here’s the crazy Sonny Stitt version I listened to for inspiration - I would love to play lines like these!

It’s been a while since I listened to that album. It’s a good’un!

User Info Menu

Nice melodic lines and lots of variety there.
    thanks. I’m actually really pleased with this one. I’m starting to get more relaxed on these faster tempos (this one is about 240) without being a bit ‘spongy’ on the time. It’s that weird paradox between precision and relaxation....

User Info Menu

Man, some nice versions at the end of the week!

wzpgsr, swinging nicely there...the 125 is VERY cool, imho.

Christian, great take...excellent balnce between the melodic, almost "riff" like stuff and some flat out BURNING.

User Info Menu

Don’t think I didn’t notice when you kicked into shred mode there for a few bars. (That was really cool sounding, by the way...nice contrast to the slower lines you opened with.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Don’t think I didn’t notice when you kicked into shred mode there for a few bars. (That was really cool sounding, by the way...nice contrast to the slower lines you opened with.)
    Thanks mate, really enjoyed your take too, great articulation and fantastic tone

User Info Menu

Grahambop: sounds great. As others have said, you seem comfortable at this tempo, lots of cool ideas and phrasing
    Wxyzpdqantidisestablishmentarianism: Really nice take. Brings out the changes very well, sounds very musical, cool sound from the 125
    Christianm77: Sweet. Love the way you just kind of drop in the fast bits. Based on this take, I think your promotion to Christianm78 is a lock.

User Info Menu

I'm catching up on some versions, and wow great stuff!
    Graham Bop, just really good. Everything I like: great feel, tone, lines!!

Wzpgsr, nice playing. Great sound, and melodic direction!

Christian, nice mix of single-notes and chords. I like how your solo breathes and is also intense at the same time. Not easy to achieve!