The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 120

User Info Menu

Ronstuff's pick this week, and its an excellent one.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 13) - In Your Own Sweet Way-1617905041082-jpg

Notes from Ron:

I got into this tune from a version I heard a long time ago with Mick Goodrick And Jerry Bergonzi on Mick's album Sunscreams.I actually checked out the Brubeck and Miles versions a little later.
    Fun fact I read this week about the tune: In the liner notes to Time Signatures Brubeck wrote, "For the first few years the quartet played almost all standards, until one day Paul Desmond said to me, 'We've got to hire somebody to write some material for us.' I said, 'Paul, are you kidding? I'll write two tunes in half an hour!' I wrote 'In Your Own Sweet Way' and 'The Waltz' that night. From then on we started doing my material a lot more."
    I like how the tune moves through different keys, and the vamp section really opens it up.

Note from me: The iReal changes for this BLOW.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So I'll get the jam going with a version!
    With my bass player buddy, I've been lucky to hook up with him.

I agree with Jeff there are some weird chords on the Ireal pro app.

Miles really influenced the way a lot of people play this tune, like going to the E natural(#11) at the end of the A section.
    And the bridge, where some people do the first 2-5-1 to Dm, or do them both to Dm.
    In jam sessions I've been to, most people do those 2-5-1's to Dmaj.

And the last 4 bars of the bridge. I play |Dmi7 G7|Emi7 A7|Ebmi7 Ab7| G7 |
    But I've heard many musicians discuss this part of the tune...

I play the last two bars of the A section |Cmi7(b5) F7(b9)| Bbmaj7 |
    Sometimes I'll do the (#11) thing on the Bbmaj7.
    Anyways, I don't want to go too deep into discussing changes, it can become a sensitive issue

I've been in Telecaster mode for the last two weeks. A Partscaster I put together last september with an aged pine body that I finished myself with oil. The neck is a used Warmoth. Neck pickup is a Benedetto A6 I also found on the used market and a Dimarzio Area hot T Bridge pickup.

I'm recording an album in a month and am still not sure whether I'm using my Archtop, Semi-Hollowbody or Telecaster.
    They all do the job really well...

Last edited by Ronstuff; 04-08-2021 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Awesome tune, awesome pick! Look forward to working on this. I remember hearing a version with Paul Desmond playing the head but my search on Amazon music is only pulling the solo Dave and trio Dave versions. Anyone know the Desmond track I’m referring to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    So I'll get the jam going with a version!
    With my bass player buddy, I've been lucky to hook up with him.

I agree with Jeff there are some weird chords on the Ireal pro app.

Miles really influenced the way a lot of people play this tune, like going to the E natural(#11) at the end of the A section.
    And the bridge, where some people do the first 2-5-1 to Dm, or do them both to Dm.
    In jam sessions, most people do those 2-5-1's to Dmaj.

And the last 4 bars of the bridge. I play |Dmi7 G7|Emi7 A7|Ebmi7 Ab7| G7 |
    But I've heard many musicians discuss this part of the tune...

I play the last two bars of the A section |Cmi7(b5) F7(b9)| Bbmaj7 |
    Sometimes I'll do the (#11) thing on the Bbmaj7.
    Anyways, I don't want to go too deep into discussing changes, it's can becomes a sensitive issue

I've been in Telecaster mode for the last two weeks. A Partscaster I put together last september with an aged pine body that I finished myself with oil. The neck is a used Warmoth I picked up. Neck pickup is a Benedetto A6 I also found on the used market and a Dimarzio Area hot T Bridge pickup.

I'm recording an album in a month and am still not sure whether I'm using my Archtop, Semi-Hollowbody or Telecaster.
    They all do the job really well...

Excellent! I was actually going to call this next time my turn rolled around.

Here's one of my fave's

John

User Info Menu

Here's the Link to the Mick Goodrick/Jerry Bergonzi version I was talking about.
    It's the 1st tune of the album. Reminds me of my early years when I was getting into jazz...Music and nostalgia...
    And that album cover, the colors around it on You Tube mess it up, but that picture speaks to me!
    I still dig the recording today, even though I'm not usually a fan of guitar with Chorus.
    I don't mind it as much when it's Mick or John Abercrombie!
    Mick has some nice intervallic/rhythmic things going on.
    And Jerry Bergonzi is just great!

Last edited by Ronstuff; 04-08-2021 at 05:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a version by sometimes member here Paul Kogut. I love the way he plays this tune.

Ron, loved your take, particularly your "self comping." And the tele sounds great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Excellent! I was actually going to call this next time my turn rolled around.

Here's one of my fave's

John
    Yeah John, like minds once again! I really like Steve Masakowski and that version, he can play modern ideas and still really swing!
    I spent a week in New Orleans a couple years ago and my only dissapointment was not seeing him live.

User Info Menu

Here's an alternate take that I'm posting just to let you guys hear the bass solo. He's so melodic!
    My feel is better on this despite a few rough spots, I could have only posted this one.
    Now I'm getting off the stage, and out of the way!

Last edited by Ronstuff; 04-08-2021 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's an alternate take that I'm posting just to let you guys hear the bass solo. He's so melodic!
    My feel is better on this despite a few rough spots, I could have only posted this one.

Great stuff. I’m really digging how that Tele sounds.

User Info Menu

Man, I thought your feel was great in both, but this sure is a great take. And you're right, bass player is excellent.

I'm gonna post a "first impression" here and definitely try to work more on it. Ron mentioned John Abercrombie so I went thumb, light distortion, and a little chorus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff;[URL="tel:1112879"
    1112879[/URL]]So I'll get the jam going
    Very nice playing! I’ll have to check my preferred changes with the different arrangements you’ve mentioned. I have the A6 humbucker in my Monarch and it really opened that guitar up. Are you using an octave pedal just slightly peppered in?

User Info Menu

Only working on it a day so far, but another great pick. Ronstuff--you didn't disappoint

Next week we are phasing in our in person instruction on a larger scale. Looking forward to seeing the kids. Not looking forward to the madness of hybrid learning, but I guess it's my turn Dunno if I will have time to play music. Not good. Music is my yoga...

Last edited by PickingMyEars; 04-08-2021 at 09:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Coming up bust trying to locate a chart—any suggestions on where to look?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Standards PDF Viewer - Learn Jazz Standards - The Ultimate Jazz Resource

That's what I used. Seemed useable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Very nice playing! I’ll have to check my preferred changes with the different arrangements you’ve mentioned. I have the A6 humbucker in my Monarch and it really opened that guitar up. Are you using an octave pedal just slightly peppered in?
    Thanks, yes the A6 is a very nice and unique pickup! Good ears, I am using an octave pedal mixed in very low!
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 04-08-2021 at 10:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Man, I thought your feel was great in both, but this sure is a great take. And you're right, bass player is excellent.

I'm gonna post a "first impression" here and definitely try to work more on it. Ron mentioned John Abercrombie so I went thumb, light distortion, and a little chorus.

Nice one! I like the Abercrombie vibe. You always have a nice bounce in your feel, it's addictive! And there's an exploratory element going on that's fun, doesn't sound like you're playing safe! Nice to be along for the ride.

User Info Menu

Another tune I've been playing for a long time, but have never felt fully on top of. But it's beautiful tune and I always enjoy the challenge. Here's mine, again with Mr. Sunnybass. I wasn't intending to be so sparse and motivic (or to quote Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah ...), but sometimes that's the way it comes out.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 04-09-2021 at 02:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I really like Ronstuff and John A.’s approach, this tune sounds good with that guitar and bass sound (i.e. no piano), gives it some space.

Emily Remler did a nice version with guitar, bass and drums. I might try a similar approach too.

I have one question about Ronstuff’s take though - who is the guy in the big hat, riding a unicorn?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I really like Ronstuff and John A.’s approach, this tune sounds good with that guitar and bass sound (i.e. no piano), gives it some space.

Emily Remler did a nice version with guitar, bass and drums. I might try a similar approach too.

I have one question about Ronstuff’s take though - who is the guy in the big hat, riding a unicorn?
    Yeah that backgroud is quite funky! My wife has a theater company, I borrow her rehearsal space. I'll try to remember to take a picture from the front window, it's a neat setup! I will listen to Emily Remler's version, I always like her playing and sound.

User Info Menu

Not difficult.

User Info Menu

Yeah that backgroud is quite funky! My wife has a theater company, I borrow her rehearsal space. I'll try to remember to take a picture from the front window, it's a neat setup! I will listen to Emily Remler's version, I always like her playing and sound.
    ok I see. The ability to include theatrical props in one’s videos opens up some interesting possibilities!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.;[URL="tel:1112984"
    1112984[/URL]]Another tune I've been playing for a long time, but have never felt fully on top of. But it's beautiful tune and I always enjoy the challenge. Here's mine, again with Mr. Sunnybass. I wasn't intending to be so sparse and motivic (or to quote Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah ...), but sometimes that's the way it comes out.

John
    Really fantastic John! Would you mind sharing what your doing at 1:14? Those chord hits were perfect and beautiful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Really fantastic John! Would you mind sharing what your doing at 1:14? Those chord hits were perfect and beautiful.
    Thanks! OK so at 1:14, the voicing I play is x66676, which I then slide up 2 frets. I tend to think of this as "stack of 4ths with a 3rd on top" or the "So What/Impressions chord" rather than as a chord name per se. I use it a lot (with or without that last 3rd), and think of it as sort of a general purpose harmonization of the second to highest note i.e., the last 4th, in this case Gb. In this context, you can think of it as an Ab11 with an E in the bass, and when slid up two frets it's Ab7b13 with the b13 (F) in the bass. [Edited: Or more obviously as an Ebmin11 to Fmin11. I've seen charts for the interlude written as either an Ab7 vamp or an Ebmin vamp. To me, they're the same thing]

John
    Last edited by John A.; 04-09-2021 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    It's in both the Real Book and iReal

Here are the iReal changes:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 13) - In Your Own Sweet Way-your-own-sweet-way-jpg

I play the last 4 bars of the B section as |D-7 G7|CM7|Eb- Ab7|D-7 G7| [edited: Per the Real Book changes. I couldn't remember whether that was where I picked this up from until Graham posted them below.]

John
    Last edited by John A.; 04-09-2021 at 10:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Here’s the old real book chart.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 13) - In Your Own Sweet Way-c5d636ac-6d40-4b36-9705-c82f48b956a7-jpeg