The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 120 of 120

User Info Menu

Yeah, Lawson, you absolutely belong here. Everybody does.

And you should call a tune, and call one you know. Nobody goes to a jam and calls tunes they've never played before!

Regarding ears and charts, I definitely don't think you have to figure out whole songs by ear...I think you get a chart, do some listening...maybe look for where your ear and chart disagree. And like I said, I think that's a good thing to have discussions about here. I think it's absolutely crucial (and a privilege you don't get at a real jam) to listen to as many versions of a tune as you can find when learning it.

In the end, it's jazz. There's not one way to play any tune. That's the beauty of it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would say the ‘old’ real books are a pretty good place to look first for these tunes, whatever faults they have, they will probably have all the tunes in them, and people having been using them for ages.

I got my copies from here, they have all 3 volumes as pdfs and an index of the tunes:

Partitions gratuites. Real Book - Volume 1, 2, 3(C, Eb, Bb)

User Info Menu

And keep in mind, regarding those old real books with "wrong" changes...you will encounter folks who play the songs that way!

The legal sixth edition and the "New Real Book" are really must haves, and they're both pretty good in the accuracy department, particularly the "new."

User Info Menu

In any case, it’s worth grabbing the old real books as a fallback option. I have the ‘legal’ 6th edition (all 3 volumes) and Unit 7 wasn’t in them. Neither was a Mingus tune I was interested in recently. But both tunes were in the old RB’s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    In any case, it’s worth grabbing the old real books as a fallback option. I have the ‘legal’ 6th edition (all 3 volumes) and Unit 7 wasn’t in them. Neither was a Mingus tune I was interested in recently. But both tunes were in the old RB’s.
    Yeah, they spread some tunes out over the volumes...damn profits.

It's like buying Queen's greatest hits and then realizing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop;[URL="tel:1114600"
    1114600[/URL]]Finally got a chance to record this, been a busy week. Backing is Mr Sunnybass + brushes from BIAB. The video was done entirely in Reaper, I know RPjazzguitar was interested in this.

Wonderful!

I hear these Tritone double stops descending at the beginning of the melody, would you mind explaining where that’s coming from, I’d love to get some of that into my chord melody.

User Info Menu

Finally got a chance to record this, been a busy week. Backing is Mr Sunnybass + brushes from BIAB. The video was done entirely in Reaper, I know RPjazzguitar was interested in this.

There have been several really nice takes on this tune in this thread, but this one was truly inspiring to me. I'd thought to pass over this one, but you have me thinking about it now and wanting to give it a shot.

Sometimes we really do just need some inspiration.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Wonderful!

I hear these Tritone double stops descending at the beginning of the melody, would you mind explaining where that’s coming from, I’d love to get some of that into my chord melody.
    Thanks, I can tell you exactly where they came from, I stole them from Emily Remler!

I once tried to work out some of her voicings on this tune, I guess I remembered a few bits and these chords were part of it. Basically they are rootless Eb7 to D7, then rootless Db7 to C7 (i.e. just the 7th and the 3rd). So simple but so effective. I would never have come up with that by myself.

Check out her version on youtube, it’s really great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    There have been several really nice takes on this tune in this thread, but this one was truly inspiring to me. I'd thought to pass over this one, but you have me thinking about it now and wanting to give it a shot.

Sometimes we really do just need some inspiration.
    Thanks Lawson, I enjoyed playing this tune, I think the laid-back tempo and having no piano in the backing gave it some space for me to play the lines in.

I was definitely thinking about Emily Remler’s version when I started tackling this tune, hopefully I got some inspiration from her!

User Info Menu

Finally got a chance to record this, been a busy week. Backing is Mr Sunnybass + brushes from BIAB. The video was done entirely in Reaper, I know RPjazzguitar was interested in this.

Wow, what a great tone! And nice laid-back feel!

User Info Menu

Graham, somehow I missed yours. Perfect capper to the week. Great swinging laid back playing, and great tone too.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Ron and Jeff.

User Info Menu

You absolutely deserve the “bop” in your nom de guerre.

User Info Menu

Top notch phrasing - so laid back and relaxed. Excellent grahambop!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I want to do Tune Up quite fast, don’t want to get too relaxed on that one!

User Info Menu

In the spirit of rough, early attempts, I did this as soon as I felt I knew the melody (mostly) and changes (mostly). On the spur of the moment, I cut the piano out of the backing track and shot for the "Jim Hall" vibe.

User Info Menu

In the spirit of rough, early attempts, I did this as soon as I felt I knew the melody (mostly) and changes (mostly). On the spur of the moment, I cut the piano out of the backing track and shot for the "Jim Hall" vibe.

Lawson, that was great. I think the single note lines in this solo might have been the finest playing I’ve seen from you. The lines were understated, melodic, had the weight of intentionality behind them, and sounded perfectly timed to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Lawson, that was great. I think the single note lines in this solo might have been the finest playing I’ve seen from you. The lines were understated, melodic, had the weight of intentionality behind them, and sounded perfectly timed to me.
    Thanks for that. Very encouraging! I am trying to learn the tune more accurately, melody and changes, and then I'll try another. I hate missing one of our tunes, though I did have to bail on UMMG. But I'm running behind, what with work and home stuff, which I know everyone else here has too.

On my trips to Israel sometimes I like to be the last one in the line on a hike. That way I know nobody has been left behind!

User Info Menu

That was really beautiful, lawson! And as for the "Jim Hall" vibe: with the lights down low you even look the part!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    That was really beautiful, lawson! And as for the "Jim Hall" vibe: with the lights down low you even look the part!
    Being bald helps!