The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 120

User Info Menu

Not picked because I was non-plussed by the last few choices (I wasn't).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Post whatever you like. If I can quickly pick out the/a melody in an unknown (to me) tune, I'll definitely lay down something or other. If it's a blank canvas like So What, I'll go crazy.

By the way, how about if at some time someone posts an original chord progression (maybe with a few melodic cues) to improv over. Challenging because you'd have no references to guide you. Just an idea.

User Info Menu

A busier take, upon request:

Still working on getting 16th notes to pop in a melodic way. For that, I look no further than Cannonball Adderley. Billy Bean has a nice 16th note on his John Pisano cuts.

Just glad I can play guitar again. I was getting feisty

Definitely want to keep working on In Your Own Sweet Way, really enjoying this tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I wonder if we're going to hear from anyone else on this ...

I forgot -- is anyone teed up for the next one? If not, maybe one the guys who has been non-plussed by the last few choices can pick one? Or maybe we can throw out a few ideas and "vote"?

John
    I’m going to get something posted come hell or highway water, most likely this evening.

User Info Menu

Here's my take—this song feels like one of those lifers that I'll keep coming back to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    A busier take, upon request:

Still working on getting 16th notes to pop in a melodic way. For that, I look no further than Cannonball Adderley. Billy Bean has a nice 16th note on his John Pisano cuts.

Just glad I can play guitar again. I was getting feisty

Definitely want to keep working on In Your Own Sweet Way, really enjoying this tune.
    Lots of cool ideas in there. I like that quick rake thing I heard you do a few times. Not sure if that’s sixteenth note triplets but it’s got some nice swank. By way way of advice, consider more space between your lines. I think your stronger lines will stand out more if you do a bit more editing of what you’re hearing in your head and only committing to playing the best of the bunch.

You’re right about Billy Bean. Dude was a time-feel monster.

User Info Menu

An idol of mine and many told me the same "leave SPACE between your phrases and play LESS!"

One day I'll get it right.

I liked Billy Bean's playing on Making It Again the most... although the jam session sound fidelity makes me wish it was recorded in a studio--but I'll take whatever Billy Bean I can get.

Right now I have to get my iTunes in order for the 4th time--keeps losing my library... Apple, you are dead to me...

I have to get outta that habit of over doing those "rake articulations" and articulate the faster passages more.

Loved your take wzpgsr! Extremely melodic and laid back. Are those gold foils? Whatever they are, everything about that take sounded clear and sparkly--sounded like a studio take with sound that clear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Coming up bust trying to locate a chart—any suggestions on where to look?
    Alin front of 150 Mass. Ave, in Beantown (Boston, MA), in front of Berklee, is a crazy semi-homeless dude that will sell to you for $2, a local spot to get a real copy of the Real Book. His name is Joe and he used to hang out with his dog Tino, yelling, “REAL BOOKS FER SALE!”; after a while he morphs to, “PHILIPPINE HOOKERS FER SALE!” He was there nearly every night I was at Berklee 1990-94, and Ima gonna guess he is still there, tho I hear his dog passed. :-/ Crazy old dude, but real sweetheart of a cat also. Lol. ROAD TRIP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    An idol of mine and many told me the same "leave SPACE between your phrases and play LESS!"

One day I'll get it right.

I liked Billy Bean's playing on Making It Again the most... although the jam session sound fidelity makes me wish it was recorded in a studio--but I'll take whatever Billy Bean I can get.

Right now I have to get my iTunes in order for the 4th time--keeps losing my library... Apple, you are dead to me...

I have to get outta that habit of over doing those "rake articulations" and articulate the faster passages more.

Loved your take wzpgsr! Extremely melodic and laid back. Are those gold foils? Whatever they are, everything about that take sounded clear and sparkly--sounded like a studio take with sound that clear.
    Thanks—they’re Ronin Foilbuckers—really detailed sounding pickups. I find getting a good guitar sound by micing an amp to be a chore not worth doing these days—I have been getting much better and faster results with a decent amp sim and a few impulse responses for speaker/cab emulation and reverb.

User Info Menu

Hey how can i get in on the virtual jam? Unfortunately “smoke on the water” is about as far as I can make it on guitar, but if i can play tenor sax i can hit anything, 26-2, Inner Urge, UMMG, Miyako, all those wicked changes tunes . I don’t see the older or original via search, but maybe y’all could link me the original rules?? Thanks cats!

LMAOOOOOOO ^^^

User Info Menu

Here's a purely key-centred version in F. Last day 'n all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Here's my take—this song feels like one of those lifers that I'll keep coming back to.
    Nice relaxed feeling and lots of space. And that guitar sounds sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Here's a purely key-centred version in F. Last day 'n all.
    Beautiful melodic lines as always, ragman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thealps
    Hey how can i get in on the virtual jam? Unfortunately “smoke on the water” is about as far as I can make it on guitar, but if i can play tenor sax i can hit anything, 26-2, Inner Urge, UMMG, Miyako, all those wicked changes tunes . I don’t see the older or original via search, but maybe y’all could link me the original rules?? Thanks cats!

LMAOOOOOOO ^^^

Just jump right in! Sax is fine. This week's tune will be up this afternoon.

There's no rules really other than take a solo, and don't play 30 choruses...treat it like you would your spot at a real jam. Also, no need to play the melody, unless you want to. Everybody goes about it differently here...use a track, or don't...I personally have no interest in hearing arrangements or polished recordings for this thread's purpose, I want to hear people IMPROVISING!

So we'll see you on this week's tune, I hope? (or any of the others, unlike a real jam, the tune never has to end)

User Info Menu

A few later versions I finally got to listen to.

Triple--- yeah, smack that thing like it did ya wrong! I know you alluded to wishing you could play with more subtlety, but this tune can get a little precious if you're too gentle with it. Got some good lines in there too, and I like the in your face tone.

Rp-- that said, your gentle solo version was like a lullaby, but one I wanted to make sure I heard the whole of BEFORE I nodded off. Really sweet playing.

wzpgsr, I really like your time feel. Your playing always sounds relaxed and in pocket. And great, clear as a bell tone, too.

Picking, yeah, now the challenge is to balance the note-y bits with the space you were leaving with the earlier takes on this tune and others. I did really like hearing some longer lines.

User Info Menu

I'm having a lot of trouble with the lead sheets on this tune. Between various widely available sources, the key signature differs (same notes), the bridge is WILDLY different between say, Aebersold and the Real Book, and the actual arrangement--interludes and such-- are confusing.

I would like to ask that future tunes presented to the group be accompanied by a leadsheet that at least can be a starting point. I am just trashing my efforts on this tune simply because I don't even know how it's supposed to be played.

Please--if you nominate a tune, supply a lead sheet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm having a lot of trouble with the lead sheets on this tune. Between various widely available sources, the key signature differs (same notes), the bridge is WILDLY different between say, Aebersold and the Real Book, and the actual arrangement--interludes and such-- are confusing.

I would like to ask that future tunes presented to the group be accompanied by a leadsheet that at least can be a starting point. I am just trashing my efforts on this tune simply because I don't even know how it's supposed to be played.

Please--if you nominate a tune, supply a lead sheet.
    I hear you - found a handful of sheets with differing chord progressions in places and had to make up my mind which one to use...

User Info Menu

wzpgsr nice touch and beautiful tone! A lot of you guys have such beautiful sound quality TOMMO, John, etc. I feel terrible posting these awful iPhone recordings in the basement of a hospital
    I don’t have a recording setup at home and even if I did the kids are never quiet.

FWIW I’d advocate for going around the room calling tunes vs. voting

User Info Menu

Anyone up for calling next week's tune, send me a PM.

This week is spoken for, as mentioned above, but I'd happily map out a schedule...

Don't think I'm doing any voting. There's no voting at a jam session. Too much work. If people keep volunteering to call, I'll keep letting them call, in the order they contact me. (EVERYONE should call a tune, if you ask me, it's fun)

As for lead sheets, they're all a guide, a suggestion...The recordings are the answer. We should definitely have more discussions here, if people are having trouble hearing things, or hearing different things.

I can tell you already this week's tune might start some debate...but it's gonna be a blast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    wzpgsr nice touch and beautiful tone! A lot of you guys have such beautiful sound quality TOMMO, John, etc. I feel terrible posting these awful iPhone recordings in the basement of a hospital
    I don’t have a recording setup at home and even if I did the kids are never quiet.

I record most of mine direct to the computer (Macbook/Garageband) in my kitchen because I don't have a separate quiet space where I can record. Often times, I use my semi-hollow because the only time I can actually work on a tune is late at night after my family has gone to bed (the archtop wakes my wife up). The grass is always greener, but I half wish I had a basement I could sneak off to with an amp and a cellphone.

John

User Info Menu

A lot of you guys have such beautiful sound quality TOMMO, John, etc. I feel terrible posting these awful iPhone recordings in the basement of a hospital
    Thanks - my setup is rather simple actually. And don't worry about perfect sound quality - it's all about what you play and not how well it has been recorded - your clips sound pretty good to me.

Agreed there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Anyone up for calling next week's tune, send me a PM.

This week is spoken for, as mentioned above, but I'd happily map out a schedule...

Don't think I'm doing any voting. There's no voting at a jam session. Too much work. If people keep volunteering to call, I'll keep letting them call, in the order they contact me. (EVERYONE should call a tune, if you ask me, it's fun)

As for lead sheets, they're all a guide, a suggestion...The recordings are the answer. We should definitely have more discussions here, if people are having trouble hearing things, or hearing different things.

I can tell you already this week's tune might start some debate...but it's gonna be a blast.
    I totally get the orthodoxy that the recordings are "the answer" but working full time in a non-music job, in one week, I just can't learn a tune off the recording, so I'm sorry, but I need a solid lead sheet. I also think that someone calling a tune can take that simple responsibility.

Thinking I don't fit in any more, so I am just going to shut up.

User Info Menu

Finally got a chance to record this, been a busy week. Backing is Mr Sunnybass + brushes from BIAB. The video was done entirely in Reaper, I know RPjazzguitar was interested in this.

User Info Menu

I totally get the orthodoxy that the recordings are "the answer" but working full time in a non-music job, in one week, I just can't learn a tune off the recording, so I'm sorry, but I need a solid lead sheet. I also think that someone calling a tune can take that simple responsibility.

It’s fine to wing it with whatever lead sheet you find. I used the one posted earlier in this thread that came from and old version of the Real Book. I don’t think the harmony was quite right for my Aebersold backing track, but close enough.

User Info Menu

Bullshit! Stay - I'm always enjoying your contributions no matter what version of a lead sheet you use!

User Info Menu

Here's a compromise position -- how about you call a tune that you already know and/or that you've scoped out a bit and know you can learn quickly? The only real requirement here is that the tune be one written as a jazz tune, not as a GASB song adapted to jazz. There are many simple examples of that, and I bet you know a few.

John