The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Everybody hanging in there? Was a quiet weekend...
    I was wondering myself. I'm still around and will hopefully post a clip soon. Hope that the others haven't anbandoned ship....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve been messing about with it, haven’t got round to recording anything yet.

Interesting looking at the root movement in the A sections, it basically goes round the whole cycle (i.e. the roots move in 5ths, or 4ths depending on which way you look at it). No wonder it has a lot of changes. Good one to practice playing through the cycle though.

User Info Menu

Here's a quick solo noodle to get some action re-started.

John

User Info Menu

Everybody hanging in there? Was a quiet weekend...
    I’ve been working with the tune. Will post something within next couple of days.

User Info Menu

Glad I could apply a little "positive peer pressure"

This is a tune, in my opinion, that warrants a deeper look. There's a lot of ways in to it, but all require some thoughtful woodshedding.

User Info Menu

Been a bit under the weather... ready to put this school year and a half behind me...

Been listening to the tune and playing ideas on my Mini Casio Keyboard while sick in bed...

Came across this swanging version by Phil Conners, I mean Phil Woods (freaking feels like Groundhog Day, where's Bill Murray)

User Info Menu

Alright - here's mine, first take:

Any comments welcome as always.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here's a quick solo noodle to get some action re-started.

John
    Very nice, John, I like that full and fat tone.

User Info Menu

John, that solo take was absolutely lovely. Rubato, but not waffely...it had intent and motion. You also used one of my favorite things to do with a song when playing solo...saving the melody for last.

TOMMO, a really nice relaxed take. You're clearly hitting every change, but you're not fishing or chasing. I like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jeff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Been a bit under the weather... ready to put this school year and a half behind me...

Been listening to the tune and playing ideas on my Mini Casio Keyboard while sick in bed...

Came across this swanging version by Phil Conners, I mean Phil Woods (freaking feels like Groundhog Day, where's Bill Murray)

That's a great version, and one I hadn't heard. Cool.

Re: school... all teachers reported back today. Now, I've been in the building for a few months, and I gotta say, I'm damn glad I was forced back in early, because watching people scramble to get ready for students next week...man, that doesn't look fun.

User Info Menu

John, that solo take was absolutely lovely. Rubato, but not waffely...it had intent and motion. You also used one of my favorite things to do with a song when playing solo...saving the melody for last.

TOMMO, a really nice relaxed take. You're clearly hitting every change, but you're not fishing or chasing. I like it.
    Jeff: Thanks, and yes, I like putting the melody at the end. Doing a full head, then a solo, then repeating the head on a long form like this solo on the guitar can get kind of tedious, and I like to find ways to compress things into one chorus (or two at most). This is a good way to do that.

Tommo: nicely done. You're hanging with the changes well and coming up with some good melodic ideas.

John

User Info Menu

Tommo: nicely done. You're hanging with the changes well and coming up with some good melodic ideas.

John
    Thank you John!

User Info Menu

Post as soon as I get well enough to play guitar.
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 04-12-2021 at 01:48 PM.

User Info Menu

It's not that illness, I hope.

User Info Menu

Glad I could apply a little "positive peer pressure"

This is a tune, in my opinion, that warrants a deeper look. There's a lot of ways in to it, but all require some thoughtful woodshedding.
    I’ve got a playlist with 8-10 versions of the tune playing on repeat for the past several days. In addition to shedding, I’m hoping the melody passively worms itself into my consciousness. It really is a great tune. One benefit of the tune-a-week method—coupled with constant, repetitious listening—is ear training. Anyone else hear a bit Angel Eyes in the bridge?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's not that illness, I hope.
    nope. Just fun stomach issues flaring up again due to stress.

User Info Menu

In the spirit of pushing it out and not spending hours polishing here’s my submission! I spent what free time I had this weekend creating the chord melody. I worked on improvising over it today. It was quite a challenge for me because I don’t play smoothly and lyrically, two methods this song demands. I’m going to continue shedding this, it presents an excellent vehicle to work on my shortcomings.

User Info Menu

I didn't like the IrealPro backing track much so I went solo.

I prefer solo guitar played in strict time, but, life sometimes demands compromise or raw capitulation.

That's the Yamaha Pacifica 012 with Lil 59 in the neck position (which is the pu you hear) played straight into a Crate GFX15. The Crate amp has two reverb settings, "not enough" and "too much". I can't remember much, but I can remember the first time I heard reverb - as if it was this morning. So, I erred on the side of "too much".
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 04-12-2021 at 06:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar;[URL="tel:1113911"
    1113911[/URL]]

I didn't like the IrealPro backing track much so I went solo.

I prefer solo guitar played in strict time, but, life sometimes demands compromise or raw capitulation.

That's the Yamaha Pacifica 012 with Lil 59 in the neck position (which is the pu you hear) played straight into a Crate GFX15. The Crate amp has two reverb settings, "not enough" and "too much". I can't remember much, but I can remember the first time I heard reverb - as if it was this morning. So, I erred on the side of "too much".
    Very pretty outro! I agree about the iReal backing track. In fact I couldn’t get into Mr. Sunnybass’s time feel on my cut. If anyone knows a good back track on YouTube please post, I’d like to try this one again.

User Info Menu

Nice solo takes John and RP! You guys make the tune sound good in that format.
    Triple Jazz I like the chords and the arrangement!

That Phil Woods version, I just love his laid-back feel. I would like to add more of that to my playing...

Lately I've been working on adding a bit more outside stuff to my playing, today I tried applying some of the concepts to this tune. There's just so many chord changes that it's not easy to add more to them, and in fact in my case it certainly doesn't enhance the tune!
    Just making the changes is pretty hip on this one!
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 04-12-2021 at 09:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    iReal assumes that the tune is in Eb.

Every other chart says Bb. I know key signatures are an after thought in some charts, but especially for the actual song and melody--the key of the tune matters.

Hearing the tune in Bb and hearing it in Eb result in hearing two very different songs. It's like saying that Just Friends is in C when it's actually in G.

Anyway, loving what we are all doing with this standard.

Once again, Wes haunts us with his greatness:

(wish that got remastered )

I've been really digging into Pat Martino's playing on this tune:

(great album)

I can't find it on Youtube, but Barry Galbraith wrote an interesting etude over the changes to In Your Own Sweet Way. On his Jazz Guitar Study Series #5: Guitar Improv. Worth a listen!
    dug that take from Martino, thanks. Great lines and chromatics!

(Must have been a pupil of with Barry Harris)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I wonder if we're going to hear from anyone else on this ...

I forgot -- is anyone teed up for the next one? If not, maybe one the guys who has been non-plussed by the last few choices can pick one? Or maybe we can throw out a few ideas and "vote"?

John

User Info Menu

I wonder if we're going to hear from anyone else on this ...

I forgot -- is anyone teed up for the next one? If not, maybe one the guys who has been non-plussed by the last few choices can pick one? Or maybe we can throw out a few ideas and "vote"?

John
    Actually, Ragman is picking this week. He leaked his idea to me early, but I'll check if its what he still wants to go with, but if it is, its a good pick and very accessible.