The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 182

User Info Menu

This week was John A's pick, and its a good'un.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 12) - Unit 7-1617288256765-jpg

Some quick notes from John:

This song is a 12-bar blues in C with a bridge in C major. The whole form is AABA (two choruses of blues, 8-bar bridge, one more chorus of blues), a total of 44 bars. The composer is bassist Sam Jones, who wrote it for Cannonball Adderley. There's a great version by Wes/Wynton Kelly on Smokin' at the Half Note, as well as the Cannonball Adderley version.

I used Mr. Sunnybass as a backing track. Note that his full track on youtube is over 7 minutes long, I imported that into my DAW and chopped it down to just two full choruses of the form + an ending tag. This yields a nice length for JGF Jam purposes. I can share this backing track as an mp3 or itunes format. If interested, send me a PM and I'll figure out how to do that. I may try something similar with a full backing track.

It took me longer than I expected to come up with a usable take on this, because of the head. I've messed around with this tune a bit in the past, but never worked on it seriously or played it with other people. I thought I knew it and had it burned into earworm memory, but upon closer listening to the Rivers and Wes versions, I realized I had it wrong and had internalized a bunch of mistakes. Took a lot of effort to re-learn it correctly. Obviously, not necessary to do that for jam purposes, but it's a very interesting head worth diving into. If you're going to play it, make sure you get all the little ornaments and triplets in the bridge right, otherwise you'll land in the wrong place at the end. I also found it quite tricky to get into a groove with just a bass as accompaniment. I found that I really needed to simplify my soloing not to get lost. Interesting experience, but probably more fun with a full backing track.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This week was John A's pick, and its a good'un.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 12) - Unit 7-1617288256765-jpg

Some quick notes from John:

This song is a 12-bar blues in C with a bridge in C major. The whole form is AABA (two choruses of blues, 8-bar bridge, one more chorus of blues), a total of 44 bars. The composer is bassist Sam Jones, who wrote it for Cannonball Adderley. There's a great version by Wes/Wynton Kelly on Smokin' at the Half Note, as well as the Cannonball Adderley version.

I used Mr. Sunnybass as a backing track. Note that his full track on youtube is over 7 minutes long, I imported that into my DAW and chopped it down to just two full choruses of the form + an ending tag. This yields a nice length for JGF Jam purposes. I can share this backing track as an mp3 or itunes format. If interested, send me a PM and I'll figure out how to do that. I may try something similar with a full backing track.

It took me longer than I expected to come up with a usable take on this, because of the head. I've messed around with this tune a bit in the past, but never worked on it seriously or played it with other people. I thought I knew it and had it burned into earworm memory, but upon closer listening to the Rivers and Wes versions, I realized I had it wrong and had internalized a bunch of mistakes. Took a lot of effort to re-learn it correctly. Obviously, not necessary to do that for jam purposes, but it's a very interesting head worth diving into. If you're going to play it, make sure you get all the little ornaments and triplets in the bridge right, otherwise you'll land in the wrong place at the end. I also found it quite tricky to get into a groove with just a bass as accompaniment. I found that I really needed to simplify my soloing not to get lost. Interesting experience, but probably more fun with a full backing track.

Thanks Jeff. As always, comments and critiques welcome.

John

User Info Menu

OOOOOOOOO good pick....

Smokin' at the Half Note was my favorite album for a WHILE. Transcribed a bit of No Blues. Definitely my favorite Wes album, though I hate to admit it. Name someone who plays jazz guitar and doesn't like "Smokin' at the Half" note and send them to me... That is the album to learn how to SWANG-A-LANG.

Nice playing to start us off, John A!

Playing anything that Wes made "his own" is hell for me. I stop playing and say "Wes, please forgive me! I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"

Blues with a bridge. John A., your choice of blues doesn't disappoint.

I am sticking with Cannonball and Wes for this one on my playlist. Must. Fight. Not. Buying. More. MUSIC....

User Info Menu

Fun fact for a backing track: Smokin at the Half Note is an oddly mixed album when it comes to stereo separation. On "Unit Seven" they sent Wes' guitar all the way to the left! So if you just listen to the right channel, you get the piano and a lot of the drums, and about half of the bass (volume wise). That's actually enough! You're jamming with Wynton Kelly!

User Info Menu

First take, first time I played this tune in a while. Wanted to approach it 0 to 60.

sloppy, but I wanted to get right in on this:

User Info Menu

Well, that was fun :-)

User Info Menu

I love the Wes version, but I've really been getting into the Cannonball version recently.

His solo is pretty wild (check out what he does from around 2:00 on).

John

PS: I really hope I can find the time to do another on this with a backing track and stretch out a bit. The one that's there on youtube is pretty lame (especially on the head section). I may have to buy the Aerbersold version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1

That submission might be your best yet, in my opinion. The melody sounded really laid back and settled, but you gave it a subtle swing. Your lines sounded cohesive and melodic. Very bluesy, and very hip. Very groovin'!

Just my two cents.

User Info Menu

I found a better way to record my stuff...

Use a speaker on the floor and play the backing through that.

Lost track of the recording time because I was eyeing my work calendar. Did this one at the end of a prep period, and right before a student meeting

Speaking of which, exciting news. I got the greenlight for my "Our Musical Language" high school class. 17 students enrolled, which is an amazing class size--ask any other teacher in the country and they will agree. Maybe I will journal the experience... but you all know me and my journaling
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 04-02-2021 at 03:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    (check out what he does from around 2:00 on).
    Not much good for guitar!

User Info Menu

Another new one for me! I knew the tune but had never played it.
    I hadn't played my Tele in a while, that was fun!
    With my bass player buddy, who decided to appear in the video this time!

User Info Menu

Trying to get more traction with this thread and keep the jam alive.

So here I go bringing some controversy... which really shouldn't be controversy

Playing over the blues can teach us a lot.

I will use my two solo's as an example of what a blues is not supposed to sound like:

1. A blues is more than outlining the harmony--adding that would not make my blues sound any better than it is (which isn't that great to begin with)

2. A blues is more than mixolydian and dorian and altered scales--I used too many ingredients in my solos, adding more would make it sound worse

3. A blues is more than the blues scale--for a while I thought that the blues scale was the answer, and several notable musicians told me nope

4. A blues is more than licks--more vocabulary wouldn't have saved my solo.

5. A blues solo is definitely more than technique--even though technique can help you execute your ideas it's not the key to playing a great blues solo.

So what makes a blues solo a BLUES solo? I don't think the defining characteristics of a great blues solo changes when you play it in a "jazz" context. Charlie Parker could play gut bucket. Those Blues for Alice changes don't make Charlie Parker sound bluesy because he already knew how to sound bluesy on a blues without them.

T-Bone Walker, BB King, and many other uptown blues musicians played in front of horn sections. Ben Webster played with Jimmy Witherspoon and Jimmy plays down home blues. Ben played the same way with Jimmy Witherspoon as he played with Oscar Peterson.

Oscar Peterson is bluesy as all hell if you really listen. Ulf Wakenius had a video on youtube where he explained OP's linear concepts.

So, besides the changes... what makes a blues solo sound like a blues solo? My mentor asked me that once and I was really surprised because... I didn't have the answer. How is it that something so "simple" is so elusive?

Before we explain with theory, take a step back and ask yourself the same question: what makes a blues sound like a blues?

So what say you? For me, it was really listening to Billy Butler play on Honky Tonk no.1 that sent me in the right direction... but I am still far from where I want to be with my blues playing. At least now, I know what I am searching for

I might not be an all star player, but I think I ask good questions--that's the one compliment I can give myself with confidence. My playing... maybe one day

Hopefully this essay of a comment is worthwhile. I've certainly thought about this blues question a lot lately. And played a lot of blues lately.

User Info Menu

Last take for this one unless you all compel me to take another... because of all the fun you are having with this BLUES

Sound Cloud won't let me edit my track... and audicity isn't working right on my computer... Any suggestions? If I could cut this take to end at 2:38, before my sloppy octaves, that would be great... Wes octaves are hard to play convincingly... at least for me

That and I think I should name this take "The time I tried to sound like Wes on Unit 7 but couldn't find the right double stops." I love the double stop thing that Wes does on No Blues, I think it's right before the octaves part? Transcribed that solo a while ago, but I think I gotta re-transcribe it.

Ron, damn nice playing. Really jealous of the latin feel you get on the bridge. Tele sounds sweet on this tune. Right now, I am a one guitar household... for now... mwah hahaha

Okay, I am off to transcribe Wardell Gray's solo on "Twisted"... That's the one that actually became the song later on when a vocalese was written over Wardell's solo. Now I can't unhear it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Another new one for me! I knew the tune but had never played it.
    I hadn't played my Tele in a while, that was fun!
    With my bass player buddy, who decided to appear in the video this time!
    Hell yeah. That was awesome. Dance music. Everything about it kicked ass, up to and including the part where the bass player rode in on a dragon. And that Tele sounds really damn nice.

User Info Menu

I've done an alt take on this, much simpler.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars

Okay, I am off to transcribe Wardell Gray's solo on "Twisted"... That's the one that actually became the song later on when a vocalese was written over Wardell's solo. Now I can't unhear it
    My analyst told me...

Great start all...gonna try a take this afternoon then listen more closely to y'all...don't want to steal any ideas...yet.

User Info Menu

Here we go, with some fuckups...feeling like I ain't played all week...which I haven't. I hate that feeling.

Anyway, here we go.

User Info Menu

Here we go, with some fuckups...feeling like I ain't played all week...which I haven't. I hate that feeling.

Anyway, here we go.

Nice take. You had that driving, forward momentum eighth-note thing going on that I admire so much.

User Info Menu

Listening notes(so far)

John A. I love your 8th note feel. It swings hard, but its not bashing me over the head and screaming "its jazz, it swings!" Nice take.

Ron, great stuff. Envious you've been getting to play these tunes with a real person. Your self comping on the B was great.

Rag, an easy swinging lope up to the 7th floor. Nice

Picking, another cliche free post...though maybe I'd like a few blues clichés from you every now and then. But another post where it's clear you're hearing what you play...noodle free zone...I dig that.

Good stuff peeps. Who wants to call next week's tune?

User Info Menu

Listening notes(so far)

John A. I love your 8th note feel. It swings hard, but its not bashing me over the head and screaming "its jazz, it swings!" Nice take.

Ron, great stuff. Envious you've been getting to play these tunes with a real person. Your self comping on the B was great.

Rag, an easy swinging lope up to the 7th floor. Nice

Picking, another cliche free post...though maybe I'd like a few blues clichés from you every now and then. But another post where it's clear you're hearing what you play...noodle free zone...I dig that.

Good stuff peeps. Who wants to call next week's tune?

Thanks Jeff, I'll call the next one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Thanks Jeff, I'll call the next one!
    Excellent! I'll send you a message.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1

Ragman I love your style. I can listen to your submissions all afternoon with an abundance of sunshine and a cool beverage in my hand.

User Info Menu

Excited about the next tune! We've done a Golson tune, a modern ballad, some Joe Henderson, modal, some Herbie Hancock, a latin Silver tune, a bluesy gospely tune, a Parker tune, a Strayhorn standard, and a blues...

Am I missing any?

What is left? I am sure Ron will surprise us (Ron I totally put pressure on you to pick a good tune, don't disappoint!)

For a while it was only my private lessons that got me excited to play guitar. These tunes are all invigorating to play.

And we all have an arsenal of modern tunes to bring to our next in-person jam sesh.

User Info Menu

Ronstuff: really fun take. I especially like the way you went salsa on the bridge. The bassist did some very cool stuff there, too.

Ragman: nice stuff, your usual interesting little nooks and crannies.

Jeff: great feel, really fun bouncingblues vibe all through. I especially liked the way you transitioned back to the last A of blues from the bridge.

PickingMyEars: Some good moments, and great guitar tone, but it feels pretty disjointed to me. I'd love to hear more connection/flow/groove from you on the blues sections.

John

User Info Menu

Rushed and first time playing the tune, as usual. You're gonna kick me out for playing rock n roll. Time to prepare lunch! Hasta luego.

Last edited by Peter C; 04-04-2021 at 01:03 PM.