The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 182 of 182

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    OK, limiting the discussion to C7 chords in a C blues: yes, you can certainly play the chord tones of a Gmin6 or Gmin7 chord over C7 (they're he same notes as C9 and C11, respectively, minus the C). But if you do that without playing a C it sounds more like Gmin than C7, and creates a sense of suspension/ambiguity as to where you are in the form. Wes did that often (he also often used pedal points a lot). That's neither a good nor a bad thing in itself. But I do think it works better if you don't do that in every chorus and hit C sometimes. Apply the equivalent logic to Cmin and F. There's a duet version of Unit 7 by Frank Vignola and Jimmy Bruno on youtube, which I think illustrates this pretty clearly. Bruno plays his solo in a way that emphasizes Gmin; Vignola emphasizes C7 + making all the changes. It's an interesting contrast. Going beyond just the 4 notes of that chord you then have to think about what flavor of Gmin you draw additional pitches from (i.e., natural, harmonic, melodic, or dorian) because there are pitches there (e.g., F# in GMM) that produces dissonances over a C7 chord. That's all I'm saying.

I misunderstood wzpgsr, and thought he was talking about playing a GminMaj7 (and by implication, G melodic minor) on that C7 change. But strangely, he wasn't talking about doing that (he was talking about IYOSW), but he was actually playing it, which sparked my little trip down theory alley. Anyway, that's as far down that path I go.

TBH, I haven't thought all that much about why Wes's lines don't sound like Bird, but I think the main reasons are phrasing, time, and articulations on the instrument rather note choices, which are the things that make him unique overall, not just with respect to Bird. Wes was generally right on top of the beat or a hair behind; Bird was on top or ahead. Bird generally played longer and less symmetrical phrases. Wes's tended to be less jagged/angular. Bird held notes, Wes didn't. Bird used a wide vibrato and bent notes a lot; Wes's didn't do much of either. Wes didn't do the 1/16 and 1/32 runs that Bird would do. That sort of thing. However, I do think that there was a greater degree of similarity between Wes's soloing and some trumpet players. Check out the Wes/Cannonball version of Au Privave and compare it to the Bird version with Miles Davis on Trumpet. I haven't transcribed it, but at least on a superficial listening, I get a fairly similar vibe out of MIles's and Wes's approaches (and between Cannonball's and Bird's, obviously)

Yes, that an avoiding the root and creating a sense of "modal" playing over moving changes

Presumably the tune to play alongside that pursuit is Stelae by Starlight.

John
    You had to pylon? ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Going beyond just the 4 notes of that chord you then have to think about what flavor of Gmin you draw additional pitches from (i.e., natural, harmonic, melodic, or dorian) because there are pitches there
    Just a quick comment on one small point.

G natural minor G A Bb C D Eb F
    G harmonic minor G A Bb C D Eb Gb
    G melodic minor G A Bb C D E Gb
    G dorian G A Bb C D E F

So, 5 notes are common to all four.

Then, you can have an Eb or an E. An F or a Gb.

All four possible permutations are represented.

Just seems to me that it's easier to think, which 6th, which 7th, than all four scale names. Or better yet, learn the sounds and pick the 6 and 7 by ear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    You had to pylon? ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sheesh, biblical archaeologists -- you can't tel them anything.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

G dorian G A Bb C D E F

Just seems to me that it's easier to think, which 6th, which 7th, than all four scale names. Or better yet, learn the sounds and pick the 6 and 7 by ear.
    I don't generally think in terms of scale names while playing, but in the context of the discussion it made sense to use them.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I wasn't talking about staying on it for the whole chorus, but only over the C7.

One thing I puzzle over with Wes Montgomery. He plays the blues, but it's amazingly free of cliches. He plays bop, but doesn't sound like a Charlie Parker-on-Guitar clone. It's always kinds of surprising but not weird. This Gm Pentatonic over C7 in a blues has that Wes feel that I've been hunting for. Likewise, playing the Cm over the F7 does the harmonic shift but continues the different feel. Maybe it's just a matter of playing the same set of notes but with a different starting tones and off-center emphasis notes!

I'm so far out of my depth here... I went nuts about 20 years ago studying chord-scale theory but couldn't play anything, so for 15 years or so I've basically just played and not thought too much about the theory, so this is straining my brain.

I'm heading for something simpler, like a Middle Egyptian Hieroglyphic inscription...
    Have you ever checked out Garrison Fewell’s triad books? Wes didn’t limit himself to triads but those GF exercises opened my ears up a bit to recognize that triad sound in lots of what I hear as Wes signature sound. I’ve transcribed bits of Wes’s D Natural Blues—there’s so much in there to chew on—every aspect: very specific and funky syncopations that are so subtle you can easily miss what he’s actually playing; lots of skipwise motion that to me doesn’t come easy because my brain is so locked into the idea of scales and scale fragments. There’s something unique about the duration of notes in Wes’s swing feel. Somehow it sounds sort of staccato and legato at the same time. As great as many of us think he is, I think he’s still underrated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

G dorian G A Bb C D E F

Just to explicate - those first five notes are what we can call the ‘essence’ of a minor scale 1 2 b3 4 5

I’d actually suggest just improvising on these notes for a bit. A lot of lines and melodies heavily feature just these 5 notes. The are basic, vanilla notes, although the 4th has quite an interesting vibe to it,
    more bluesy.

The upper part of the scale can then be employed to ‘taste.’ For instance b7 is a sort of neutral sound. 6th is very energised but not dissonant. b6 is very dissonant. 7th is intriguing and ‘jazzy.’

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Have you ever checked out Garrison Fewell’s triad books? Wes didn’t limit himself to triads but those GF exercises opened my ears up a bit to recognize that triad sound in lots of what I hear as Wes signature sound. I’ve transcribed bits of Wes’s D Natural Blues—there’s so much in there to chew on—every aspect: very specific and funky syncopations that are so subtle you can easily miss what he’s actually playing; lots of skipwise motion that to me doesn’t come easy because my brain is so locked into the idea of scales and scale fragments. There’s something unique about the duration of notes in Wes’s swing feel. Somehow it sounds sort of staccato and legato at the same time. As great as many of us think he is, I think he’s still underrated.
    Absolutely! To my ears, one thing that Wes has that actually not many guitar players have is a really strong rhythmic negative space in his playing. It’s very specific how long his notes and chords last for and when he cuts them off with the left hand. This helps with a sense of the swing.

For example, you can practice playing quarter notes but stopping each one on the swung upbeat exactly. Swing the silence as well as the notes.

This is more like the way a horn player hears? I wonder if most guitarists only hear the fronts of the notes?