Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 182

User Info Menu

I'm much more patient in person.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Are you using an external camera? Or is there some way to get Reaper to make a video as you record?
    RP, I don’t think Reaper can record video, it is just an editor for video (as far as I can make out). But it appears to be fairly simple to import your video file into your existing audio project, then you could trim it, line the video track up with your reaper audio track, then lower the ‘video audio’ volume to zero.

Just google reaper video editing, there are some good videos by Kenny Gioia which cover it.

I might try doing a video in Reaper myself, just for a change.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter;[URL="tel:1112573"
    1112573[/URL]]I'm often guilty of the same "robot motions"... usually listening to some Jim Hall helps me a lot, transcribing.. even better!

It's unbelievable how melodic Wes is on Unit 7, been listening to his solo again... Whoa!
    Well, on the one hand I love to listen Jim Hall. On the other I hate transcribing.

User Info Menu

Wow a lot of cool stuff this week. Going backwards, Alter I'm impressed! Great tone on that strat, so fat. I use ProPlec picks, really dig them. I use the big oversize one. You're really good at doing the Wes thing!

Graham bop,beautiful sound and just really melodic lines.

Triple Jazz, great driving feel!

Tommo, that sounded nice relaxed and confortable even with the Aebersold.

Rp that 2nd version develops really well!

Ragman you have an ability that make any tune sound like your own, that's powerful!

Picking my ears, cool less is more vibe.

Both John and Jeff swingin' as always!

I've got the new tune for tomorrow, hope you all dig it. One of my favorites...

I haven't engaged all that much in the discussions, partially because I spend my days talking. When I get home I just want to play!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's a take on Unit 7! I've been trying out the D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 picks for a week or so (finally found and bought some ), and it's impressive how much they change the sound. Still not sure i'll end up using them, cause i miss having some edge from a more pointy pick, but there's no way my strat (with 10s) could sound like that with say a fender heavy pick. It even sounds a bit thumby hehe... But it's hard to get a Grant Green sound with this pick..

Missing some kicks on the head, cause i think the Wes version is a bit different than this play along (the kick on the end of the B sections for example , some others )..

That was one really fun take. I can't think of anything about that did not just delight me to the core! The tone was really funky-Wes-like, your lines were super tasty with the bop edge but clearly tracking the blues sections. You make it look easy, and it sounds so chill and natural.

Thanks for this inspiring clip!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, you'd be quite wrong. It's just Brit familiarity, you might not be used to it. You wouldn't actually speak like that to someone you didn't like, if that makes sense; there'd be too much distance between you. It would just be more formal, and colder. If you bothered to speak to them at all, that is. Life's tough :-)
    This is just nonsense. I work all the time with Israelis, Palestinians, German-speakers, people of all kinds of cultural and religious backgrounds. I do my research in about 8 different ancient and modern languages and spend my summers excavating on archaeological sites with multi-national/multi-ethnic teams and I get along just fine with them. I lived in a rural East African village for a year and had to do a lot of interacting in a fairly obscure tribal dialect and navigate those cultural situations.

It's just patronizing and condescending for you think maybe I just don't "get" people from the UK. Maybe it's you who needs to get out more.

This is my last word on this subject.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I’m British, and I didn’t like the tone either!

But enough of that. Just now there was a knock on the door and my new signal splitter gadget arrived, much more interesting!

Another thing I thought of doing with it is record the direct signal into channel 1 of the Focusrite, mic the amp into channel 2, then blend them in Reaper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Just noticed that the melody at that point is essentially a C minor arpeggio, I did not think of looking at that before. Kind of explains why I thought Cm lines work!
    I blame Jordan Klemons for this but I have come to prefer the sound of Cm on Abmaj7 to an actual Abmaj7.

That Ab sounds dissonant on an Abmaj7 chord; you actually need to resolve to G

OTOH Cm pentatonic/blues and triads etc sound AMAZING

Bearing in mind Ab6 is not the same thing at all as an Abmaj7; an Ab will sound resolved on an Ab6 chord.
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-08-2021 at 04:48 AM.

User Info Menu

RP, I don’t think Reaper can record video, it is just an editor for video (as far as I can make out). But it appears to be fairly simple to import your video file into your existing audio project, then you could trim it, line the video track up with your reaper audio track, then lower the ‘video audio’ volume to zero.

Just google reaper video editing, there are some good videos by Kenny Gioia which cover it.

I might try doing a video in Reaper myself, just for a change.
    OK I just re-did my Unit 7 video from scratch inside my Reaper audio project, it was actually very easy to do. The only things you need to know really are:
    - how to switch on the video window
    - how to enable video fades
    - how to ignore the 'camera' audio track.

All these are in one of those Kenny Gioia videos you get by googling as I suggested.

The one other non-obvious thing is how to render the project out as an MP4 file. Again I googled it and there was a video which explained it.

User Info Menu

Here's a take on Unit 7!
    That was fantastic, Alter and very inspiring!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff

Tommo, that sounded nice relaxed and confortable even with the Aebersold.
    Oh did it? Thank you!

Has anybody tried to just play C major over the entire B-section? Sounds good to me but my ears may be cheating me....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Okay, DJG--ya made me cave into my guilty habit of buying more music.

Spent $25 on a rarish Charles McPherson album called "Bebop Revisited" because he plays the heck outta "Wail." I had to have his solo for my rhythm changes playlist.

Spent another $20 on Jazzmen Detroit because... I mean, look at who is on that album--do I need a reason

I have a music addition and C19 has only made it worse
    good choices. i got all the mcpherson xanadu LPs. live in tokyo is fantastic as well. i probably could've bought a small house with the money i've spent buying music...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Has anybody tried to just play C major over the entire B-section? Sounds good to me but my ears may be cheating me....
    Yes the bridge is basically a turnaround in C, I didn’t have much trouble with that, it’s a very common progression.

User Info Menu

you can view the b-section either completely in C, II V III VI or consider the Em7 A7 a II V in D major. both is popular. the latter has a nice little outside effect if you're used to hearing it in C. wes uses this device for surprise moments in satin doll. on unit 7 he does stay in C, just like cannonball. i have a few versions of richie hart, where he enjoys going to D

User Info Menu

Yeah people get a bit sniffy about that type of transposable ii V harmony but they all do it. Any II V line on any II V...

User Info Menu

Yes the bridge is basically a turnaround in C, I didn’t have much trouble with that, it’s a very common progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by djg
    you can view the b-section either completely in C, II V III VI or consider the Em7 A7 a II V in D major. both is popular. the latter has a nice little outside effect if you're used to hearing it in C. wes uses this device for surprise moments in satin doll. on unit 7 he does stay in C, just like cannonball. i have a few versions of richie hart, where he enjoys going to D
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah people get a bit sniffy about that type of transposable ii V harmony but they all do it. Any II V line on any II V...
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

You can, certainly, because it's all in C, but you may lose some subtlety over the A7b9 and G7b9. At least a natural C over the A7 gives you a blues sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You can, certainly, because it's all in C, but you may lose some subtlety over the A7b9 and G7b9. At least a natural C over the A7 gives you a blues sound.
    I tend to play C7(b9) over A7b9...

User Info Menu

Here's a take on Unit 7! I've been trying out the D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 picks for a week or so (finally found and bought some ), and it's impressive how much they change the sound. Still not sure i'll end up using them, cause i miss having some edge from a more pointy pick, but there's no way my strat (with 10s) could sound like that with say a fender heavy pick. It even sounds a bit thumby hehe... But it's hard to get a Grant Green sound with this pick..

Missing some kicks on the head, cause i think the Wes version is a bit different than this play along (the kick on the end of the B sections for example , some others )..

What backing track are you using?

User Info Menu

I tend to play C7(b9) over A7b9...
    You mean you've got both the 7b9 sound and the blue note at the same time? That's quite clever, I can't wait to hear it :-)

User Info Menu

Yeah you don’t need to play the C# at all. Barry showed that. C7 to Dm

User Info Menu

Anyway, last day, last blast.

User Info Menu

My very sloppy, but fun attack on this song.

Observations, insights, advice, all welcome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Are you panned hard one way? I think my phone's speakers are messed up...I can barely hear you.

I'll be sure to listen later with headphones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Are you panned hard one way? I think my phone's speakers are messed up...I can barely hear you.

I'll be sure to listen later with headphones.
    Guitar on right, track on left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Thought that chord soloing was pretty wicked!