The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 182

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That did work. And that's some GOOD STUFF!

I do find it quite bluesy, really. It's a jazz blues, they're playing changes, but it's definitely bluesy.

Of note--now I'm here with crappy laptop speakers, but I swear I hear the Ab clearly on all the "A's" of the sax solo....but NOT on the first two A's of the trumpet solo. But it's back on the final A. Interesting.
    I hear it on the second A of the trumpet solo in the rhythm section, but not the first. The trumpet itself is not playing the Ab change, just C blues stuff. And total agree regarding this being a very bluesy interpretation of the song, at least in the solos; I guess you could make an argument the other way for some aspects of the horn ensemble arrangement.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I don't sense any change in Graham.
    Maybe I should first check this with the wife. At least she hasn’t asked for a divorce yet...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Maybe I should first check this with the wife. At least she hasn’t asked for a divorce yet...
    Lulling you into a false sense of security. They do that. For decades, lifetimes even. :-)

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Graham, really enjoyed your take. You have the ability to build something that has a real arc to it...makes listening to your playing always enjoyable.
    Thanks Jeff. Honestly I don’t know where that stuff comes from, I suppose just from years of listening. I sometimes think about using a basic approach like starting lower and building up to some high notes. But once I start recording, all of that goes out of the window and the subconscious (or something) takes over.

I think the whole question of what goes on when we try to improvise (in my case with an almost ‘blank mind’!) is pretty interesting.

User Info Menu

Now that's a great take. I love the endless, fluent stream of ideas. Love the unleashing of the bop idiom on this. I almost overdosed on all the ideas you were firing out there, and it sounded natural and unforced. The tone was great. I thought in the very first notes of your solo I heard maybe a hat-tip to Wes? I wish I could play over blues changes like that. The blues licks were rare, but perfectly placed.

I also appreciate and admire up-tempo playing. I struggle to be able to play faster than 180 or so and enjoy hearing people who can naturally communicate great musical ideas at faster tempos. I will have to listen to you clip a lot more to see what I can absorb.
    Thanks Lawson. Yes you are right about the Wes-type phrases, he was always a big influence on me. Unit 7 was on the first Wes record I ever got, and I wore it out! So no surprise that I put some of those ideas in there.

My tempo chops are pretty inconsistent actually, I don’t really practise speed enough. The first time I tried that aebersold track I was just about keeping up with it, but the next day I tried to record and it was hopeless! So I did the 210 one, which is better for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's interesting that the C note, which is integral to the AbM7, sounds like a clam... any ideas?

Incidentally, you might find this entertaining. This the original Sam Jones recording with Nat Adderley on sax. I've slowed it down so it's now in F. Here are the two solos, the sax and the trumpet (there's a bit of a gap in between). The sax isn't distorted (because the trumpet isn't) it's playing a bit flat.

You'll hear me comping along with it to prove it's in tune and the chords are right. You'll notice that over the AbM7 (now DbM7) both of the soloists just play some sort of generic line. Nothing outrageous, just the usual, as if the M7 wasn't there at all. Only for interest's sake :-)'

My backing track includes the Abmaj7 to Dbmaj7 change. I think the C sounded okay on Abmaj7, but not on Dbmaj7, maybe because I'm hearing G7b13 in my mind.

My approach to those two chords when I first looked at the tune was to think Eb major tonal center and then adjust by ear -- so, on paper, it would be D, not C, that would be the "out" note. Maybe I never played a D so I didn't notice anything wrong. I might have thought the same thing if the chord was just G7b13. By the time I made the clip, I had the sound in my ears and wasn't thinking anything but melody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    it is called "down home". not sure about the "not bluesy" part.

maybe this works:

Damn you djg!

I listened and now I am hooked. Didn't I say that I DIDN'T want to buy more music?

Here is a three disc set of Sam Jones that I am eyeing on Amazon right now:

Amazon.com
    Maybe if you all buy it first, I won't be as tempted (6 copies left)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I get "video unavailable" on my screen" and can't play/open the link.

John
    I think djg might have solved it.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Actually while making these videos I have a bit of trouble hearing what I’m playing, I’ve got all the sound being monitored via the Focusrite through my computer speakers, but the guitar does not sound clear enough through those speakers. (This doesn’t affect the recording which is direct, just the monitoring sound). So I don’t always feel I’m picking as cleanly as I would like. If I use my amp direct out, I have to turn the amp speaker off, as it requires the amp to be at a deafening level before I get a loud enough line signal to record with. (Could do with a separate volume control on the amp line out!). So I can’t use the amp.

Anyway I have just ordered a Lehle signal splitter, so in future I will be able to send one signal to the amp and the other to my recording interface. Should be a lot better!
    Graham,

If I could pursue the recording issue just a bit ... because I'm looking for a better way.

1. For these clips, I use my old phone to play the backing track into a keyboard amp. Then I use my usual guitar rig played through a guitar amp. I use my current phone's camera app to make a video. The phone is the mic. Editing? Who needs editing? And, for that matter who needs audio quality?

2. For most Covid style recording projects, I plug the guitar into my pedalboard thence into the focusrite and monitor the whole thing through a guitar amp. I use Reaper on a laptop. Please don't tell any audiophiles that I monitor this way - it upsets them. I'm recording with some reverb (which sounds better than what I've been able to add later with Reaper reverb plugins) which makes it impossible to remove the reverb from the track -- a feature, not a bug, to a reverb lover like me.

What I'm wondering is whether there's some way to get better audio quality into the video, without spending hours learning video editing software?

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, I thought your reply to him was rude as well. I don't sense any change in Graham. He's one of my favorite contributors and players on this board. I think we'd all do well to do listen closely to the players who can actually improvise interestingly at tempos approaching the recordings than railing at them.

I'm reminded of what Wyatt Earp said to Ike Clanton: "... Ike, you talk too much for a fighting man."
    As a frequent "kidder" myself, I'll accept that Ragman had no intent to offend. But, after a recent comment he made to me, apparently as a joke, I had to remind myself not to be offended.

User Info Menu

I think you're all rude and curse you all under my breath. You're ugly too. And the smell ... oh wait, that's me.
    John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Damn you djg!

I listened and now I am hooked. Didn't I say that I DIDN'T want to buy more music?

Here is a three disc set of Sam Jones that I am eyeing on Amazon right now:

Amazon.com
    Maybe if you all buy it first, I won't be as tempted (6 copies left)
    yes, you want all three records. i envy you for discovering these treasures.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln8NVUEuZ4g" target="_blank">

User Info Menu

Here's a take on Unit 7! I've been trying out the D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 picks for a week or so (finally found and bought some ), and it's impressive how much they change the sound. Still not sure i'll end up using them, cause i miss having some edge from a more pointy pick, but there's no way my strat (with 10s) could sound like that with say a fender heavy pick. It even sounds a bit thumby hehe... But it's hard to get a Grant Green sound with this pick..

Missing some kicks on the head, cause i think the Wes version is a bit different than this play along (the kick on the end of the B sections for example , some others )..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Graham,

If I could pursue the recording issue just a bit ... because I'm looking for a better way.

1. For these clips, I use my old phone to play the backing track into a keyboard amp. Then I use my usual guitar rig played through a guitar amp. I use my current phone's camera app to make a video. The phone is the mic. Editing? Who needs editing? And, for that matter who needs audio quality?

2. For most Covid style recording projects, I plug the guitar into my pedalboard thence into the focusrite and monitor the whole thing through a guitar amp. I use Reaper on a laptop. Please don't tell any audiophiles that I monitor this way - it upsets them. I'm recording with some reverb (which sounds better than what I've been able to add later with Reaper reverb plugins) which makes it impossible to remove the reverb from the track -- a feature, not a bug, to a reverb lover like me.

What I'm wondering is whether there's some way to get better audio quality into the video, without spending hours learning video editing software?
    Well I’m a bit of a perfectionist I have to admit, for anything I put on my youtube channel I want it to have the best audio and video quality I can manage (with the consumer-level gear I’ve got). So I film with a Panasonic Lumix camera (which was a retirement gift from work actually!), it takes decent HD video. But I suspect an iPhone these days would be just as good, for video.

For audio I record into Reaper via a focusrite 2i2. I add the reverb in Reaper using the convolution option, with some impulse files recorded in a church (freely available from a York university project website as I recall). I like the natural sound it gives. But again that’s me being a bit fussy, any old digital reverb would probably be ok.

The key point (as per your last para) is to bring the ‘good’ audio and the video together, and throw away the ‘camera’ audio. I do this in Cyberlink Powerdirector. I just trim the ends off the video, maybe put a fade on the end, then I drag the Reaper-rendered WAV file under the video, slide it around on the timeline until it syncs with the ‘camera audio’, then I mute the ‘camera audio’ track.

So it doesn’t really involve a lot of video editing, in fact I usually spend way more time mixing the audio in Reaper.

In fact I believe Reaper can be used for basic video editing, so maybe you could do it all in Reaper if that’s what you’re used to. But I don’t know much about this, I think the reaper video expert on the forum is Fep.

User Info Menu

I pretty much do the same thing, I plug the guitar into a Boss Gt-1, into focusrite, then reaper (Sometimes I mic an amp, which sounds a lot better, but usually I don't bother). I have some template projects that have everything ready (some compression, eq and reverb), so I only have to import the backing track and press record. Then export audio and use Vsdc to trim the video and maybe color it a bit and add a title. I have everything ready so it's easy and fast. And looks and sounds a lot better than just recording into the zoom camera.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I pretty much do the same thing, I plug the guitar into a Boss Gt-1, into focusrite, then reaper (Sometimes I mic an amp, which sounds a lot better, but usually I don't bother). I have some template projects that have everything ready (some compression, eq and reverb), so I only have to import the backing track and press record. Then export audio and use Vsdc to trim the video and maybe color it a bit and add a title. I have everything ready so it's easy and fast. And looks and sounds a lot better than just recording into the zoom camera.
    Alter,

Thanks.

Are you using an external camera? Or is there some way to get Reaper to make a video as you record?

User Info Menu

Here's a take on Unit 7! I've been trying out the D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 picks for a week or so (finally found and bought some ), and it's impressive how much they change the sound. Still not sure i'll end up using them, cause i miss having some edge from a more pointy pick, but there's no way my strat (with 10s) could sound like that with say a fender heavy pick. It even sounds a bit thumby hehe... But it's hard to get a Grant Green sound with this pick..

Missing some kicks on the head, cause i think the Wes version is a bit different than this play along (the kick on the end of the B sections for example , some others )..

This is a great take-- and very Wes sounding! Never would have guessed a strat.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=rpjazzguitar;

Are you using an external camera? Or is there some way to get Reaper to make a video as you record?[/QUOTE]

I'm using a zoom q4 usually. If I use it as a web camera it can't go up to full HD, so I record in it stand alone. It also has a line in so the fastest way is to record everything on the zoom camera, I used to do that, but don't have a mixer here, and it's handy when mixing guitar and backing track.

User Info Menu

Well I’m a bit of a perfectionist I have to admit, for anything I put on my youtube channel I want it to have the best audio and video quality I can manage (with the consumer-level gear I’ve got). So I film with a Panasonic Lumix camera (which was a retirement gift from work actually!), it takes decent HD video. But I suspect an iPhone these days would be just as good, for video.

For audio I record into Reaper via a focusrite 2i2. I add the reverb in Reaper using the convolution option, with some impulse files recorded in a church (freely available from a York university project website as I recall). I like the natural sound it gives. But again that’s me being a bit fussy, any old digital reverb would probably be ok.

The key point (as per your last para) is to bring the ‘good’ audio and the video together, and throw away the ‘camera’ audio. I do this in Cyberlink Powerdirector. I just trim the ends off the video, maybe put a fade on the end, then I drag the Reaper-rendered WAV file under the video, slide it around on the timeline until it syncs with the ‘camera audio’, then I mute the ‘camera audio’ track.

So it doesn’t really involve a lot of video editing, in fact I usually spend way more time mixing the audio in Reaper.

In fact I believe Reaper can be used for basic video editing, so maybe you could do it all in Reaper if that’s what you’re used to. But I don’t know much about this, I think the reaper video expert on the forum is Fep.
    I do the same thing with different software, Garageband for recording audio, Quicktime for capturing video, and iMovie for merging the two. For a camera I was using my laptop's built in webcam, but recently got a slightly better external one and a tripod so I can aim things a little better.

John.

User Info Menu

Alter: Great sounding track, very Wes-like really well played.

Graham: Not very Weslike , but also really well played.

TripleJazz: Nice take. Great energy and flow throughout.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone;[URL="tel:1112478"
    1112478[/URL]]OH YEAH. I love it that you just went after it. I felt a real drive and excitement in your solo, like you were taking risks, one of which was the tempo. I'm happy to confess and come out as somebody who loves fast tempos and wishes I could play them! I admire players who can get their ideas out there at quick tempos. I like to feel the heat.

Lots of that here!
    Thanks. Everything seems like a risk once the tune starts! I do have a tendency to force the ideas out and sometimes it hits and other times it splats. This approach sacrifices good feel. I’d really love to have a nice touch and feel, like Grahambop’s submissions and many of the others. I don’t know how to get out of the robot motions.

User Info Menu

I'm often guilty of the same "robot motions"... usually listening to some Jim Hall helps me a lot, transcribing.. even better!

It's unbelievable how melodic Wes is on Unit 7, been listening to his solo again... Whoa!

User Info Menu

Okay, DJG--ya made me cave into my guilty habit of buying more music.

Spent $25 on a rarish Charles McPherson album called "Bebop Revisited" because he plays the heck outta "Wail." I had to have his solo for my rhythm changes playlist.

Spent another $20 on Jazzmen Detroit because... I mean, look at who is on that album--do I need a reason

I have a music addition and C19 has only made it worse

Alter, do you think you can program some of that robot code into my mind? I'd love to play guitar the way you do. Bleep boop bleep "famous Jim Hall chord" bleep boop bleep "Wes Montgomery"... danger, danger, Will Robinson

Not saying your playing is robotic, I really do enjoy the posts of your playing. Just poking fun at your "robotic" quote.

User Info Menu

Nice version! Does remind me of Wes' style. Strat sounds great and apparently with the original single coil. Grooves thruout.

User Info Menu

Nice playing by Grahambop with ideas flowing out, lots of things to like there. "Cooperative" backing track, too.

Alter, you have an uncanny "breathy" attack. Oh wait, so it's the new picks you're using, right? Always good to hear your playing.

Wish I had more time to read how you people are recording and about what to do with that Abmaj7 etc.

Would be curious to see how some interactions would pan out in an in-person club situation. My guess is that some would be a lot quieter, some louder, some just the same as on here.