The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 182

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont;[URL="tel:1111465"
    1111465[/URL]]Here we go, with some fuckups...feeling like I ain't played all week...which I haven't. I hate that feeling.

Anyway, here we go.

Killing Mr. B what’s happening at 1:16? I need to get more of that in my playing. We’re you just side stepping?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Were you just side stepping?
    He does that a lot, you know. You've got to watch him :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Rushed and first time playing the tune, as usual. You're gonna to kick me out for playing rock n roll. Time to prepare lunch! Hasta luego.

If Chuck Berry and Wes Montgomery turned out to be best of friends, I think this is how Chuck Berry would have played Unit 7.

I LOVE it because it sounds so different. I would never think to play this tune that way. Then again, T-Bone Walker sounds pretty jazzy and so does early BB King so...

I'd never think to turn Billy Butler or a famous bluesy vocalese to fine tune my jazz blues playing--gotta keep broadening my horizon.

I think Peter C's take is gonna get HEP on here to post his take of Unit 7.

"Paging Mr. Hep"

User Info Menu

John A's tone was silky and nice feel.

Ragman's approach worked especially well for this tune, I thought.

Ronstuff, nice take, always interesting.

Jeff, swinging as usual.

Thanks PickingMyEars. I actually have reservations about my take

Frank Vignola and Jimmy Bruno I think play different chords in the swing blues turnaround in their duet. The ones in the YT backing track were somewhat awkward to negotiate (for me). Frankly, not a fan if they are correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    He does that a lot, you know. You've got to watch him :-)
    I know you were kidding here, but that was definitely something I do a lot-- maybe too much.

Often in bar 6 of a jazz blues theres either a iv or a #IVdim, so I'm just suggesting that here, even though it isn't there. I think I'm playing like an F7b9 lick actually.

Sometimes I feel like the crux of jazz is to play lines for chords that aren't there and to blow through chords that are without addressing them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Sometimes I feel like the crux of jazz is to play lines for chords that aren't there and to blow through chords that are without addressing them.
    Just as in blues...

User Info Menu

A7/Abmaj7/G7 (YT backing track) < chromatic line (3rds) could work here resolving to Cmaj7, but I didn't have time to explore it properly. It's the (abrupt) return to C7 from the Cmaj7 that had me scratching my head, trying to make the thing cohesive. Ultimately I just "blew" through those chords, in both senses of the word

PS regarding blues, all the chords are there, surely?
    Last edited by Peter C; 04-04-2021 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

OK, so I took another crack at it with the Aebersold backing track (which I chopped down, because I don't want to play a seven-minute solo, and you don't want to hear me do that). Honestly, it's too fast for me and IMHO for the tune itself (and it speeds up as it goes along), so some of what I played here is kind of slurred and garbled, but it was a good workout. I was practicing it even faster in iReal a few days ago, and I can keep up at 220 +, but honestly, I don't like to. I'm a really a slower and medium tempo kind of guy especially, on blues. Next time my turn comes around, I'll call something less frenetic.

PeterC: Another good one. To be brutally honest, I think the backing track is a little fast for what you were trying to do there, and those sort of jump-blues riffs would be cleaner and better sounding on a slower track. But the concept is right-on -- play in your style and make the tune yours.

Hopefully some more people will post their versions.

John

User Info Menu

I thought my time was dragging until the last chorus. Maybe I'll redo it.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 04-04-2021 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Yeah, excellent take. I love the way you're in the pocket with it, and even iReal sounded like it had some groove going.

John

User Info Menu

John A, that second take was smokin'! If I heard that on a stream I'd definitely check out who was playing it. Nice hair on the tone, too. The "band" is another matter

Yeah, everything's a rush for me, so I just grab whatever backing there's available. I'm a jazz-influenced prog-rocker with Brit blues beginnings, so I can't help but "do my own thing". LOL. I would also record differently because the phone picks up all the acoustic plinking. Anyway....

rpjazzguitar, all the right notes!

User Info Menu

I usually record a bunch of takes and pick the best one, but tonight I just have to settle for the final take. I don't think this was my best of the evening, but it'll have to do for now. Still feeling my way through the form at this tempo—I hope to post another take later in the week, because I think I can get this under my fingers better with more practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Honestly, it's too fast for me and IMHO for the tune itself (and it speeds up as it goes along)

John
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion: I have played along with that track and had the feeling that it became faster and faster...

User Info Menu

OK, so I took another crack at it with the Aebersold backing track (which I chopped down, because I don't want to play a seven-minute solo, and you don't want to hear me do that). Honestly, it's too fast for me and IMHO for the tune itself (and it speeds up as it goes along), so some of what I played here is kind of slurred and garbled, but it was a good workout. I was practicing it even faster in iReal a few days ago, and I can keep up at 220 +, but honestly, I don't like to. I'm a really a slower and medium tempo kind of guy especially, on blues. Next time my turn comes around, I'll call something less frenetic.

PeterC: Another good one. To be brutally honest, I think the backing track is a little fast for what you were trying to do there, and those sort of jump-blues riffs would be cleaner and better sounding on a slower track. But the concept is right-on -- play in your style and make the tune yours.

John
    That sounds great.

User Info Menu

John
    Just out of curiosity, I timed the Wes Montgomery version and it is something like 215-220. Which was odd because it didn't "feel" as fast as that. The Aebersold must be about 225-230?

User Info Menu

John
    That was a superb take. I really enjoyed it. Nothing useful I can say about it except that I thought it was splendid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

I thought my time was dragging until the last chorus. Maybe I'll redo it.
    Nice job! Some really interesting ideas on the blues sections.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Just out of curiosity, I timed the Wes Montgomery version and it is something like 215-220. Which was odd because it didn't "feel" as fast as that. The Aebersold must be about 225-230?
    I tried to "tap tempo" it in garage band to sync it with the metronome, but gave up. It started at around 214, but it moved around a bit, and then just kept speeding up. By the end, I would suspect something over 220. It also just feels kind of frantic because the bass and drum parts are pretty busy (especially the bass). Agreed, the Smokin' at the Half Note version doesn't feel crazy fast, I guess they're all so well locked with each other, and the playing is so clean. I mean these guys were just so friggin' good, consummate masters of tightness, groove, and having it together on their instruments. I tried slowing the Aebersold down a little, but it create a bunch of weird overtones and artifacts and it was hard to play with. I think my next move is iReal at around 180. The Cannonball versions are somewhere in that neighborhood (Mr. Sunnybass is a steady 185).

John

User Info Menu

I tried to "tap tempo" it in garage band to sync it with the metronome, but gave up. It started at around 214, but it moved around a bit, and then just kept speeding up. By the end, I would suspect something over 220. It also just feels kind of frantic because the bass and drum parts pretty busy.

John
    Maybe that's one advantage of the Aebersold tracks, you do in fact have a human band, with the attendant slips in time that characterize real musicians?

User Info Menu

Maybe that's one advantage of the Aebersold tracks, you do in fact have a human band, with the attendant slips in time that characterize real musicians?

Yes, I suppose so, and it also forces you to really listen to and adjust your own time (or should anyway). And thanks for the kind words.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.;[URL="tel:1111682"
    1111682[/URL]]OK, so I took another crack at it with the Aebersold backing track (which I chopped down, because I don't want to play a seven-minute solo, and you don't want to hear me do that). Honestly, it's too fast for me and IMHO for the tune itself (and it speeds up as it goes along), so some of what I played here is kind of slurred and garbled, but it was a good workout. I was practicing it even faster in iReal a few days ago, and I can keep up at 220 +, but honestly, I don't like to. I'm a really a slower and medium tempo kind of guy especially, on blues. Next time my turn comes around, I'll call something less frenetic.

John
    Dude, cookin!!

User Info Menu

It also just feels kind of frantic because the bass and drum parts are pretty busy (especially the bass).

John
    Absolutely agreed - tough to play along with the track when it almost sounds like everybody is taking a solo at the same time.

I slowed down the Aebersold backing by 20% - still too fast for me but let's see if I can get away with this:

ETA: I think I haven't mentioned that I enjoyed everybody's contributions very much!

And: may be heresy but I prefer the versions by Cannonball Adderley as well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Absolutely agreed - tough to play along with the track when it almost sounds like everybody is taking a solo at the same time.

I slowed down the Aebersold backing by 20% - still too fast for me but let's see if I can get away with this:

ETA: I think I haven't mentioned that I enjoyed everybody's contributions very much!

I kept thinking, "This is how Herb Ellis would have played 'Unit 7'!" which is a very high compliment! More earthy than urban, more local bar than 52nd Street.

User Info Menu

I kept thinking, "This is how Herb Ellis would have played 'Unit 7'!" which is a very high compliment! More earthy than urban, more local bar than 52nd Street.
    Wow! Thank you lawson! A high compliment indeed - I love Herb Ellis!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO

Sounds good, Tommo. I like that tempo, but I think the audio of the backing track sounds weird slowed down (at least it did when I slowed it down in GarageBand).

John