The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    ...Their technical abilities/skills are phenomenal. However, I rarely hear them playing ballads-- only fast tempo pieces. (...litmus test...etc...) The reason, I believe, is that they are being churned out by Jazz Music programs around the country who approach Music as a Science rather than an Art. And, they are producing phenomenal technicians but are they really generating creative musicians? .... What do you think?
    I think this is nothing new. Classical Conservatories have been doing it for centuries. The actual talent will rise like cream. The ones that feel it and can make it real in the moment. Like the great Shakespearean actors do.

On the jazz side, there's lots of players in the old guard that are 'technique heavy'. I went to see a very well know sax player in '84 that gave me a blinding headache with his sheets of sound. Who knows...maybe he wanted to. If that was his intention I'd have to say he's one helluva artist.

As for the litmus test, maybe Chad doesn't really dig playing ballads that much. I'm not crazy about it myself. My interests are mostly elsewhere.

The guy is like 30 or something. Coltrane recorded that when he was about 7 years older. Check back on Chad in 2028.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The whole discussion shows what a player Chad is. The great young musician is already being compared to the giants.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    If someone posted an unknown recording of a great musician (when I say great, I mean a legend), some would say : "There is a problem of timing, sound, it doesn't swing, he is rushing... He needs to work his instrument."
    But if the name is revealed, everyone will say it's great.
    That's it !

Yeah that basically is all this thread needs .. You know the old Chet Atkins story, where he was on a cruise lying on the deck playing his guitar and the guy next to him told him "That sounds good, but you ain't no Chet Atkins"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The whole discussion shows what a player Chad is. The great young musician is already being compared to the giants.
    I always find it astonishing when a player is called young at 30. At 30, Trane was playing with Miles, Dizzy and Monk. Bird had his best days behind him. But then of course Bird could only ever played like Bird.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

He's not old yet ...?
    Young is just a term. Lots of interesting ideas and a lot of creative recordings before him.
    I suspect the debaters here are much older.

User Info Menu

It should be noted that the cutoff for "young" is always a few years older than I happen to be at the moment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yeah that basically is all this thread needs .. You know the old Chet Atkins story, where he was on a cruise lying on the deck playing his guitar and the guy next to him told him "That sounds good, but you ain't no Chet Atkins"
    I had this happen on another forum. I had a question about a chord symbol which was a chord name over a horizontal line below which was another chord name. I think there was something else "wrong" too, but I can't recall the details.

The "experts" derided it, saying the arranger was ignorant.

After I named the arranger, who was well known and respected, the same "experts" decided that there was nothing wrong with the arrangement.

I don't know Chad's work and wouldn't reach a conclusion based on hearing one song I didn't like. Even if I thought it sucked, it's certainly possible he was trying something new and he didn't like it either. Or, it's possible that he's over my head and I'm not appreciating the artistry. I have walked out on players I later came to appreciate.