The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 57

User Info Menu

It's great that there are musicians like Chad LB.
    If they are appreciated, people will not forget that there is such music as jazz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It is an ancient Marinero,
    And he stoppeth one of three.
    ”Know’st not thou that Everything
    Is Worse than it used to Be?”

(from ‘The Rime of the Ancient Marinero’.)
    Researchers have today unearthed another fragment of this long-lost literary masterpiece:

The Stranger struggled in his grasp,
    ”Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!”
    Cried Marinero: “Today’s jazz Crew
    Are Guilty - of murdering the Tune!”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Well I would personally feel happy conversing in Chaucerian English, but you have to make yourself understood by the plebs don’t you?
    Not if you play jazz.

John

User Info Menu

I don't know. The level of musicianship is extremely high in pop, jazz, classical music. Higher than ever imho. But i can't say that young people don't play slow music or not being good at it.
    By the way: comparing Chad with Coltrane is not a good idea.
    Let Brecker have a go at it.

Brecker also got criticised for being to technical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I read what you wrote quite carefully and it came off as damning Lefkowitz with faint praise (impressive on Giant Steps but can't play ballads). "Savant" in common contemporary usage most often means a person with significant mental or developmental impairments with above average skills in a highly specialized activity (such as an autistic or idiot savant). You also said Martino and Pass are all flash and no substance, That may not have been your intent, but it's what your words actually mean. That is is not an attack devoid of logic and reason. It's a factual observation (i.e., your words have perjorative meanings in common English usage), and a logical conclusion (you mean what you write). If you did not intend any of those meanings, I simultaneously apologize and suggest that you consider the possibility of your words having unintended connotations.

I have no quarrel with the idea that "greatness" in a musician entails multi-facetedness. I do have a quarrel with your imputation that Lefkowitz-Brown, Pass and Martino lack that multi-facetedness, which I supported with examples and explanation of how I observe that multi-facetedness. I am not suggesting that you should share my tastes, only that i find your explanation of your tastes inconsistent with what strikes me as objective reality (that these three players have great command of ballad-playing, even if some people don't like how they play ballads). I bear no animus. If I did, I wouldn't be having the conversation in the first place. But this is all pointless and I feel silly for bothering.

John

Hi, J,
    O.K. As of today, you have been designated in a secret vote by the powerful yet, clandestine "Universal Society of Language Perversion" as the sole interpreter of my words. Whatever machinations you wish to launch, hardcore editing of morphology and syntax, intimations/declarations of the most obtuse perversions of the English language and outright, scandalized rewrites of my thoughts and ideas and, thereby, will be duly and fully certified as Truth-Finder under the by-laws of their esteemed organization. This appointment, however, carries with it the venerable responsibility to distort and rewrite as much of my ideas as possible and to present them in a form that is wholly and without question ,absurd, and to convince as many on this Forum, as possible, the sanctity of your interpretations. However, let me make some simple statements ,under the implicit laws of honest communication, that you and your Society cannot distort. (p.s. These are MY opinions)
    1. A musician is a person who plays music. There are two types: ear musician-- without formal training; formally trained
    musician. Rock, C@W, etc. ,as examples, usually represent the former; orchestral, Jazz big band, the latter.
    2. Artist: a person who has surpassed musicianship as a craft and transcended into Art. They have the "complete package"
    of mechanistic skills/knowledge of the idiom and have mastered every aspect of the art form. Their goal is communication
    of the human condition through their Art. This, however, is a much-abused term by the Plebians who confuse talent with
    Art. Some artists are: Wes Montgomery, Chet Baker, Dexter, Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Michel Petrucciani, Mingus,
    Elvin Jones, Buddy Rich to name a few. Unless a person is a savant(there is more than one definition for this term J,
    for which you are ,obviously, unaware), it takes a lifetime of experience to ascend to this level. Even early savants like
    Chet Baker or Chick Corea honed their Art to an exceptionally high level far transcending their earlier accomplishments.
    This term, however, is very abused and is used by many to describe a talented musician however, not an artist.
    Examples of artists in other genres include: Thomas Mann, Paul Gauguin, Joseph Conrad, T.S. Eliot, Rembrandt,
    Shinkichi Takahashi, Robert Frost, Da Vinci, Chaucer . . .
    3. Chad is not an artist but a very gifted musician with tremendous potential. This is why I used him as an example as
    a great young musician, perhaps savant, however, IMO, he has not honed all of his skills ,as I hear, when he plays ballads
    which ,in my opinion, lack warmth and personality. But, nonetheless he has great potential for growth in the future.
    If there are those who disagree with these definitions, it's your opinion--not mine but they come from a lifetime of study,
    performing and serious listening of quality music in all genres. Sadly, the word "artist" is a much abused term and in
    recent generations can encompass anyone from a three-chord guitarist in bizarre dress and makeup to a blue-jeaned
    Folk guitarist that ,in addition to C/F/G, can also play Em. . . Ave Verum Corpus . . .
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I regret to point out:
    Chad LB is a great young Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    But, nonetheless he has great potential for growth in the future.
    Really? Don't you think this remark is a bit arrogant?
    Let me rephrase: it's coming across as such.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I regret to point out:
    Chad LB is a great young Artist.
    Hi, K,
    An artist is not defined by age ie young artist/old artist. He/she is just an artist. Simple. So, by your definition Chad is an artist. O.K.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

We can also add that he is a living artist.

User Info Menu

No shortage of adjectives.
    white? Beardy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Really? Don't you think this remark is a bit arrogant?
    Let me rephrase: it's coming across as such.
    Hi, M,
    Not at all. It's just an opinion based on my view of an "artist." I think Chad is a very gifted, talented musician with great promise for the future. However, I don't consider him an artist. And, I don't believe that those who espouse contrary opinions about anything in life that opposes "group think" should be construed as arrogant. Contrawise . . . simply a different opinion or view. Thanks.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, J,
    O.K. As of today, you have been designated in a secret vote by the powerful yet, clandestine "Universal Society of Language Perversion" as the sole interpreter of my words. Whatever machinations you wish to launch, hardcore editing of morphology and syntax, intimations/declarations of the most obtuse perversions of the English language and outright, scandalized rewrites of my thoughts and ideas and, thereby, will be duly and fully certified as Truth-Finder under the by-laws of their esteemed organization. This appointment, however, carries with it the venerable responsibility to distort and rewrite as much of my ideas as possible and to present them in a form that is wholly and without question ,absurd, and to convince as many on this Forum, as possible, the sanctity of your interpretations. However, let me make some simple statements ,under the implicit laws of honest communication, that you and your Society cannot distort. (p.s. These are MY opinions)
    1. A musician is a person who plays music. There are two types: ear musician-- without formal training; formally trained
    musician. Rock, C@W, etc. ,as examples, usually represent the former; orchestral, Jazz big band, the latter.
    2. Artist: a person who has surpassed musicianship as a craft and transcended into Art. They have the "complete package"
    of mechanistic skills/knowledge of the idiom and have mastered every aspect of the art form. Their goal is communication
    of the human condition through their Art. This, however, is a much-abused term by the Plebians who confuse talent with
    Art. Some artists are: Wes Montgomery, Chet Baker, Dexter, Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Michel Petrucciani, Mingus,
    Elvin Jones, Buddy Rich to name a few. Unless a person is a savant(there is more than one definition for this term J,
    for which you are ,obviously, unaware), it takes a lifetime of experience to ascend to this level. Even early savants like
    Chet Baker or Chick Corea honed their Art to an exceptionally high level far transcending their earlier accomplishments.
    This term, however, is very abused and is used by many to describe a talented musician however, not an artist.
    Examples of artists in other genres include: Thomas Mann, Paul Gauguin, Joseph Conrad, T.S. Eliot, Rembrandt,
    Shinkichi Takahashi, Robert Frost, Da Vinci, Chaucer . . .
    3. Chad is not an artist but a very gifted musician with tremendous potential. This is why I used him as an example as
    a great young musician, perhaps savant, however, IMO, he has not honed all of his skills ,as I hear, when he plays ballads
    which ,in my opinion, lack warmth and personality. But, nonetheless he has great potential for growth in the future.
    If there are those who disagree with these definitions, it's your opinion--not mine but they come from a lifetime of study,
    performing and serious listening of quality music in all genres. Sadly, the word "artist" is a much abused term and in
    recent generations can encompass anyone from a three-chord guitarist in bizarre dress and makeup to a blue-jeaned
    Folk guitarist that ,in addition to C/F/G, can also play Em. . . Ave Verum Corpus . . .
    Play live . . . Marinero
    I must give you credit, you've got the whole strawman regarding others and dialog with yourself thing down. Beyond savant, truly an artist in that domain. Take a bow.

John

User Info Menu

I must give you credit, you've got the whole strawman regarding others and dialog with yourself thing down. Beyond savant, truly an artist in that domain. Take a bow.

John
    Thanks, J,
    For your honest opinion! What a boring world it would be if everyone thought the same.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Interesting thoughts here from everyone. The most important thing though is “individuality”. Everything else becomes wallpaper.

User Info Menu

Chad evokes great emotions and applause from the audience. He has the power to play and controls his lines at the same time. There are no random notes in his playing.Chad-do your thing, I'm your fan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Chad evokes great emotions and applause from the audience. He has the power to play and controls his lines at the same time. There are no random notes in his playing.Chad-do your thing, I'm your fan.

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

This comment is nice, but why is this applause not natural ...?

User Info Menu

Not if you play jazz.

John
    Indeed. I must instead articulate my thoughts in a mixture of 1950’s hipster slang and contemporary internet memes like all the other jazzers.

Now excuse me while I go full beast mode on a halloumi wrap. Man that shit is killing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Indeed. I must instead articulate my thoughts in a mixture of 1950’s hipster slang and contemporary internet memes like all the other jazzers.

Now excuse me while I go full beast mode on a halloumi wrap. Man that shit is killing.
    Aren't you supposed to be recording a tune for us? Chop chop, son.

John

User Info Menu

Recently, I've been listening to as many young players as possible. Of course, not in the clubs, but on YouTube. And, my impression is that there are hordes of young players who play at a very high level that took 20 plus years for musicians to achieve in my generation(exceptions being savants-Chet, Miles, Corea, etc.). Their technical abilities/skills are phenomenal. However, I rarely hear them playing ballads-- only fast tempo pieces. The litmus test, for me, for a musician is how he/she interprets the music not how fast they can play since we are not music machines, but rather, sensoriums of the human condition as interpreted through our music. And, there is no better test of musicianship than a personal interpretation of a beautiful ballad because you cannot hide behind flurries of notes, mathematical formulations for improvisation, or stolen solos from the "greats." The reason, I believe, is that they are being churned out by Jazz Music programs around the country who approach Music as a Science rather than an Art. And, they are producing phenomenal technicians but are they really generating creative musicians? And, sadly, the old path of earning your chops in the clubs over many years of performing has morphed into intensive training at a university and YT video career. The clubs are disappearing and creative music, as we know it, will be changed forever. So, here's Chad Lefkowitz-Brown playing "Giant Steps" followed by "My One and Only Love." Then, followed by Coltrane with Johnny Hartman. Chad is an outstanding musician, perhaps a savant, but in my opinion, his ballad style has a thin sound and lacks warmth and conviction and quickly after the initial statement, he returns to his comfort zone of sheets of sounds as we hear in his "Giant Steps" which, however, is very impressive. What do you think?
    Play live . . . Marinero

I'm sympathetic to the ideas you out forward here. I haven't listened to enough of Chad to come to any conclusion.

I've been listening to Mike Moreno's house guest series recently which is awesome btw. But...

The solos are shredding but I've found myself desiring more contrast. I would like to here some simple melodic ideas pursued by Mike. Maybe, I don't have the capacity to fully appreciate what he is doing.

User Info Menu

Man this didn't quite go where I thought it would, I haven't performed with Chad... wish I could, have performed with Breckers, Mintzer, Berg and many other incredible Sax monsters. His has his playing together, I'm sure he can play whatever he wants or is paid to play. I would think anyone on this forum would love to have his skills... I sure would.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Man this didn't quite go where I thought it would, I haven't performed with Chad... wish I could, have performed with Breckers, Mintzer, Berg and many other incredible Sax monsters. His has his playing together, I'm sure he can play whatever he wants or is paid to play. I would think anyone on this forum would love to have his skills... I sure would.
    This thread wouldn't be the first time someone perceived chops-intensive jazz playing as lacking in subtlety or soul. I too would be quite happy to be as inadequate a ballad player as this. Hell I'd settle for being several times as inadequate. Ah well, back to the practice room in search inadequacy ...

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Reg...+1
    Thank you very much for your professional comment.
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Recently, I've been listening to as many young players as possible. Of course, not in the clubs, but on YouTube. And, my impression is that there are hordes of young players who play at a very high level that took 20 plus years for musicians to achieve in my generation(exceptions being savants-Chet, Miles, Corea, etc.). Their technical abilities/skills are phenomenal. However, I rarely hear them playing ballads-- only fast tempo pieces. The litmus test, for me, for a musician is how he/she interprets the music not how fast they can play since we are not music machines, but rather, sensoriums of the human condition as interpreted through our music. And, there is no better test of musicianship than a personal interpretation of a beautiful ballad because you cannot hide behind flurries of notes, mathematical formulations for improvisation, or stolen solos from the "greats." The reason, I believe, is that they are being churned out by Jazz Music programs around the country who approach Music as a Science rather than an Art. And, they are producing phenomenal technicians but are they really generating creative musicians? And, sadly, the old path of earning your chops in the clubs over many years of performing has morphed into intensive training at a university and YT video career. The clubs are disappearing and creative music, as we know it, will be changed forever. So, here's Chad Lefkowitz-Brown playing "Giant Steps" followed by "My One and Only Love." Then, followed by Coltrane with Johnny Hartman. Chad is an outstanding musician, perhaps a savant, but in my opinion, his ballad style has a thin sound and lacks warmth and conviction and quickly after the initial statement, he returns to his comfort zone of sheets of sounds as we hear in his "Giant Steps" which, however, is very impressive. What do you think?
    Play live . . . Marinero

This is my answer, it's only about personality, on every instrument you make your sound, it's just about what you are.

I know guitarists love having their norms, and so a lot of other instrumentalists do.

I am agreed with little things, imperfections are not welcome nowadays, Chad is from this world, conservatory, and he is great great great, he sounds good !!! Don't forget that those instruments are consistent, there are no pad problems, they know how things work, in the time of Coltrane, everything had to be invented and the instruments were not perfect, the mouthpieces were what they were, everything would be unplayable today.

If someone posted an unknown recording of a great musician (when I say great, I mean a legend), some would say : "There is a problem of timing, sound, it doesn't swing, he is rushing... He needs to work his instrument."
    But if the name is revealed, everyone will say it's great.
    That's it !

Chad is great ! He plays for real !

User Info Menu

This thread is a farce .. There isn't a single player mentioned that can play with emotion or feeling

Behold the force that is David Gilmour