The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 141

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 10) - Idle Moments-1616090739622-jpg

Ok, some forethoughts.

This isn't really a jam session tune, at least not any I've ever been to. Which is a bummer, because it COULD be, for a really slow tune, the fact it's only a 16 bar form means if everybody takes a chorus, or even 2, it's not excruciatingly long. Ballads can be rough at jams with a good amount of players.

This song doesn't seem to get played much at all, not recorded either. But it's our jam, run by me, and we're all guitar players, and the quintessential version of this tune is of course from Grant Green's album of the same name. Wasn't even written by a guitar player and it still carries the "guitar curse" for jazz? Maybe.

There's a few decent tracks on YouTube. I challenge people this week to make a good, brief statement. Be respectful of folks' time on a ballad at a real jam

I'll try and get a version up tonight, but this week, I'm letting someone else go first...gotta mix it up a bit.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow... well, somebody loves Grant Green's playing

Love this album myself. I always think of it when a slow minor blues is called.

User Info Menu

Yay!!!!!

User Info Menu

Oh cool! Well here’s another hip tune for me to learn.

User Info Menu

I’m wondering though if it might not be an idea to rotate the calls? Keep some of that jam session vibe? I hesitate to say it because your calls have been so good, but I often feel on the back foot lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I’m wondering though if it might not be an idea to rotate the calls? Keep some of that jam session vibe? .
    Nope, that was definitely my idea for it to evolve in to.

So I can put you down for next week's call?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nope, that was definitely my idea for it to evolve in to.

So I can put you down for next week's call?

Sure! I’ll try and think of something both stimulating and accessible.

User Info Menu

Sure! I’ll try and think of something both stimulating and accessible.
    Excellent.

I think what we will do is I'll still start the thread for next week, you can PM me the new tune sometime next Thursday, and I'll create a snappy graphic, for continuity.

And then during the course of next week's tune, you can pick the next caller and we'll repeat the process.

User Info Menu

Mr B has been doing a fine job.

One of the joys of jamming is learning new tunes.

User Info Menu

Okay, I really hate to say this, but this tune always leaves me cold. When it comes on my feed, even Grant Green, I just shut it off. I feel like it's a bicycle wobbling and about to fall over.

I think this will be my week to work on "Dolphin Dance" some more.

I know it's a classic tune, it's my limitation, but hey... life is short, I'm too old to invest effort and time into something I don't want to play!

I will admire you all, though, in what you play!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Mr B has been doing a fine job.

One of the joys of jamming is learning new tunes.
    He has indeed. But something tells me you might make some interesting suggestions.

User Info Menu

Ton to work on with this tune:

--Back Cycling

--Substitutions

--Thematic Development

--Call & Response

--Melodic Contour

--Rhythmic Devices

--Chord Solo'ing--hey, why not?

--Octaves

Let's see how long we can go of just posting our videos and Mp3s. That's a challenge, and that includes me

Remember, a submission of playing a day keeps the analysis paralysis away. Who is the doctor for that one?

User Info Menu

I've just done it. Probably sounds more like a Hungarian folk song or something. I'll get something a bit jazzier later maybe.

I like what Bernstein did on this at about 2.04.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Ton to work on with this tune:

--Back Cycling

--Substitutions

--Thematic Development

--Call & Response

--Melodic Contour

--Rhythmic Devices

--Chord Solo'ing--hey, why not?

--Octaves
    Oh, piffle. Just play it. From your heart.

User Info Menu

He has indeed. But something tells me you might make some interesting suggestions.
    "Interesting" would be the word. My band book, which I bring out at jams, is all Brazilian and with a lot of odd meter. Multiple tunes by Hermeto Pascoal, Toninho Horta, Chico Pinheiro and others who play the furthest jazz from American standards (although these guys can play the **** out of American standards too).

I'm pretty sure I'd be voted out of this thread.

User Info Menu

That works rag. It's bouncier that the original, which is what I call a "couch sinker." Preferably with bourbon in hand. But you give it a little lift.

I picked this song yesterday, as much as I love GG, I had never really played it. So here's my first go...I was listening to the backing track and singing lines earlier (yeah, im a dork) and that quote seemed to fit...

User Info Menu

Super Mr Beaumant, you totally nailed it. All that is missing is for someone to have died the lights and the clinking of empty glasses as the waiter does the rounds.

I will have another beer please, I am staying for the next set!

User Info Menu

This is my first time playing this tune, and I'm not sure if I've heard it before. I had some breaks in the day to learn it, then some time this evening to record. To be honest, it took me several false starts and takes to get through without mistakes, but I decided to stop here. I will work on it some more, find some less blues-licky paths through the changes, etc.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That works rag. It's bouncier that the original, which is what I call a "couch sinker." Preferably with bourbon in hand. But you give it a little lift.

I picked this song yesterday, as much as I love GG, I had never really played it. So here's my first go...I was listening to the backing track and singing lines earlier (yeah, im a dork) and that quote seemed to fit...

Dig the "Careless Whisper" quote there. GG would have done it himself had he lived long enough ... Otherwise, great groove, and great job channeling GG without imitating.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I've just done it. Probably sounds more like a Hungarian folk song or something. I'll get something a bit jazzier later maybe.

I like what Bernstein did on this at about 2.04.

I was waiting for the vocal to come in ... "Michelle, ma belle ..." Nah, it's cool sounds like jazz to me,

John

User Info Menu

oh man that was so smooth. I am not a choofer but I have to say that had reefer all the way through it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    This is my first time playing this tune, and I'm not sure if I've heard it before. I had some breaks in the day to learn it, then some time this evening to record. To be honest, it took me several false starts and takes to get through without mistakes, but I decided to stop here. I will work on it some more, find some less blues-licky paths through the changes, etc.

John
    Exelent take with great feel.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

oh yeah. Jazz Guitar Forum has grown a soul since I have been gone. Your first day on this? Fantastic How great will it be in a week a month a year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    "Interesting" would be the word. My band book, which I bring out at jams, is all Brazilian and with a lot of odd meter. Multiple tunes by Hermeto Pascoal, Toninho Horta, Chico Pinheiro and others who play the furthest jazz from American standards (although these guys can play the **** out of American standards too).

I'm pretty sure I'd be voted out of this thread.
    Well I’d love to do one of those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Gypsy jazz style is a great fit for this song. Christianm what do you think?
    Idle Moments is a piece of cake compared to Dolphin Dance.
    I’ll only do GJ versions of tunes that shouldn’t work haha

Van Hemert already got there with Dolphin Dance though