The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 141

User Info Menu

The short notes were on purpose. Playing long notes is easier than playing short notes for me--especially since my guitar has Nigel Tufnel sustain In the end, I gotta come back to both, but making short notes intentional is a weakness I gotta address.

I agree about building in more confidence, that's more of a personal matter. Not like, "that's personal, I don't want to talk about it." More so that I've had challenges asserting my confidence in the past, music and elsewise. Hell, if music can teach me to stand up for my beliefs and knowledge--then music will be even more valuable to me. Being intentional with what is short, what is long, staccato, legato, loud, soft--that is part of asserting musical confidence. Being confident with your choices and not second guessing everything, hell that's a life skill I have to learn. I'm in my mid thirties, so there is still time--I hope

I was listening to hip hop and focusing on playing crisp rhythms. Jazz and funk begot hip hop, but I was wondering what listening to hip hop could teach me about the rhythmic nature of hard bop, bebop, and all that jazz.

I still have a ton of jazz in my listening diet, but I want to get more comfortable with rhythm leading and informing the creative process. There is a trumpet player on Youtube who I've been getting friendly with as of recent. We discussed the potential of him doing a whole series on how listening to rap and hip hop can help you learn bebop--because it provides that rhythmic lens that is often over looked in jazz studies.

For those that are interested, I'll create a thread and post his videos when he comes out with the series. I am very excited about this project because it ties into my own project. I am teaching a class where we investigate how music can inform and refine the writing process--an English class from left field of sorts. Our investigation begins with a study of rhythm as it pertains to music and language. I am VERY excited about teaching this course... gets me out of the paperwork bullshit that I've been drowning in as of late
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 03-20-2021 at 01:29 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Went for another. I usually do these in the early evening with a beer, so here's a morning take with some coffee. Decided to go a little longer this time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Went for another. I usually do these in the early evening with a beer, so here's a morning take with some coffee. Decided to go a little longer this time

Cool bluesy touches there, Jeff - another fine take!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Anyway - here's my take. The backing track has two choruses of the head so I played them. I wanted to edit the first one and the second solo chorus to keep it short but my software kept crashing so I decided to just upload it to youtube the way it is. One bum note but I kept it in there instead of redoing - it's ajam, right?

Perfect tone and a really nice approach. This tune is a great fit for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Thanks Lawson. It’s a pity we do not live closer. I think I could help you out some.

A 350 is a very rare vintage guitar and quite expensive. Think L5 prices. The last one was made in 1956! But they sound lovely yes. Tal Farlow recorded his best work with one in the mid 50s.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
    Yes I suspect my playing could profit greatly from an afternoon of musical conversation.Maybe some day! I have hopes, post COVID, of traveling to the UK for some research. When I do, maybe I should fly in via Amsterdam and take a long layover.

User Info Menu

Perfect tone and a really nice approach. This tune is a great fit for you.
    Thank you Jeff.

User Info Menu

TOMMO, very laid back--but you still kept it in the pocket.

Tasteful blues playing...

Which makes me think, do we have to open up a jam just to play blues and jazz blues? I'm asking for a friend

Playing a blues or playing bluesy in the "jazz idiom" is a lot harder than we give credit. We can brush it off like old news, or we can really dive deeper--in the end it helps playing in any context in jazz.

The blues can teach us... but we gotta listen.

Plus, we's guitarists. That's what's expected--we gotta know how to bring it on home and make it swoon over a blues, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That's not long, this is long!

Love those very slow tempos, just short of falling apart!

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars

Thanks PME!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    just short of falling apart!
    Just short of falling asleep, I'd say :-)

User Info Menu

Which makes me think, do we have to open up a jam just to play blues and jazz blues? I'm asking for a friend

Playing a blues or playing bluesy in the "jazz idiom" is a lot harder than we give credit. We can brush it off like old news, or we can really dive deeper--in the end it helps playing in any context in jazz.

The blues can teach us... but we gotta listen.

Plus, we's guitarists. That's what's expected--we gotta know how to bring it on home and make it swoon over a blues, right?
    I've handed the reins to Christian for next week, but I think it'd be a great idea for someone to call a blues soon...

User Info Menu

So I decided to give it a go, and actually the changes are more interesting that I expected. This is just one chorus, but I hated to miss two weeks of posting the tune of the week.

In other news, I got Shot #2 so now I'm a full member of The Resistance!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So I decided to give it a go, and actually the changes are more interesting that I expected. This is just one chorus, but I hated to miss two weeks of posting the tune of the week.
    That was top, lawson - would've liked to listen to another chorus!

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    In other news, I got Shot #2 so now I'm a full member of The Resistance!
    Glad to hear!

User Info Menu

Yeah, #2ndshotgang!

I'm glad you got in on this one Lawson, I was actually surprised when you said you weren't in to it, as I thought it was pretty up your alley.

Its an interesting tune...it doesn't do too much, really, but it really inspires me to stretch out...I'd happily take 5-6 choruses on it if I didn't get kicked out of the jam forever for it...

By the way, keep working on Dolphin and post there too. The old threads are all still open.

User Info Menu

it'd be a great idea for someone to call a blues soon...
    I take it that's sarcasm! That's practically all everyone's been doing.

Does Christian mean we're going to get some fancy gypsy jazz thing at the speed of light no one can play? I hope not, I left my Maccaferri in the shed. Deliberately.

User Info Menu

I've handed the reins to Christian for next week, but I think it'd be a great idea for someone to call a blues soon...
    Put me in coach, I got that.

John

User Info Menu

Let's see:

Kris (if you're still here), I liked them both. I thought the archtop take had a little more going on. I didn't do a deep enough listen into why, but it just felt a little stronger to me, and I like the tone. Bossa is a good idea for this tune. It's so static that a busier rhythm helps it.

Tommo: good one. Plenty of blues in this song for you to sink your teeth into.

Earprick: My guess is Help Me Rhonda by the Beach Boys, or maybe Rite of Spring. Same changes, different melody.

PeteC: This one works well for you. Good energy, and your licks fit the changes well

Mr B Part Coffee vs Beer: Coffee wins. More energy, and with the bends, double stops, rock-ish licks and octaves an overall more guitarlicious vibe.

Lawson: Good start. I like the way you hit the changes. The next chorus might be the place to apply your archaeology chops to dig up some rock(s).

RPGrenadelauncher: another good one. Great tone, great phrasing, and I like the bluesiness of it.

I think that's everyone.

Cheers,
    john

User Info Menu

It's almost like jazz is music created by black folks and blues and gospel are part of it's DNA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

Tommo: good one. Plenty of blues in this song for you to sink your teeth into.

john
    Thank you John!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

Earprick: My guess is Help Me Rhonda by the Beach Boys, or maybe Rite of Spring. Same changes, different melody.
    Damn, I should have used that name from the get go

No, not quite. But now you've given me the idea to try that out

Waiting on that BLOOOZE

User Info Menu

It's almost like jazz is music created by black folks and blues and gospel are part of it's DNA.

Absolutely, but jazz isn't blues, it incorporates the blues sound, and not always consistently.

User Info Menu

Jef, is the Jim Hall "back and forth" vibrato akin to a classical guitar vibrato? I would see how that would extend the sustain. Or is just like a traditional blues guitar vibrato? I might have to go back to those old Jim Hall recordings... ugh, that is such a PAIN (hehehehe).

Love Jim Hall, especially the way he comps. That said, he always said that he wanted to sound like Charlie Christian. Hence my remark of the 3 jazz guitarists that teach you 80% of what you need to know to play in this idiom--on that Grant Green comping thread.

User Info Menu

I dunno I think what these threads have shown very nicely is that you don’t need a blues tune to play some blues.

User Info Menu

Does Christian mean we're going to get some fancy gypsy jazz thing at the speed of light no one can play? I hope not, I left my Maccaferri in the shed. Deliberately.
    As I say I don’t really like to play shredding gypsy jazz on actual gypsy jazz tunes. Far too predictable!

It would have to be Nuages as a fusion number... oh hang on

Oi Allan, stop that immediately.

Although a lovely Django ballad like Manoir de mes Reves.... or tears. Players aren’t familiar with those tunes if they don’t do the GJ thing and yet they are gob smackingly lovely.

maybe I should change my choice? Two ballads in a row though.... way to kill a jam.

Anyway, unlike you lot I don’t get to play much at the weekends so I’ll do my idle moments when everyone has lost interest like I did with the last couple of tunes.

User Info Menu

Chris '77, I would love to try a gypsy tune. Even with my Eastman archtop... the only guitar I have these days, for better or worse

That would get me back to practicing what a certain DC showed me a couple of months back about proper rest stroke technique.

User Info Menu

Chris '77, I would love to try a gypsy tune. Even with my Eastman archtop... the only guitar I have these days, for better or worse

That would get me back to practicing what a certain DC showed me a couple of months back about proper rest stroke technique.
    Well I tell you what the next weeks tune is not Gypsy jazz standard but works great as one. So I could record a backing track and you could go nuts?

TBH I’ve had my fill of things like Diangology and Douce Ambiance. Cool tunes, and I’ll play them on gigs, but I’m here to play things I don’t play so often. Although it would be fun listening to everyone here having a go at them. Backing track wise it would be pretty much one vibe though .